Terry

Default Help changing circuit breakers

"Karen" wrote in message
I was having problems with my lights becoming very dim in the house then
coming back on very quickly, along with some other problems. I called
the local electric company and he checked the feed? coming in my house
and said it was fine. He then opened and looked at my circuit breakers.
He said they were very old and rusty and if it was his house he would
replace all of them.
He showed me how easy it was and just pulled one out, no screws holding
it or anything. He said it was a job I could safely and easily do
myself. He made it look very easy. Yesterday I went outside, which is
where my breaker box is and was going to remove one and take it to the
store and get a couple and replace them. They just snap in on one side,
the inner side and when pulled out they do not have electricity flowing
through them,,,he said
Is there a web site that shows how to do this? He pulled it out very
easy, I can't seem to do this. Maybe I'm not strong enough, could I use
something to pry this out?
Thanks

Karen: Be careful please.
It would be best to turn off ALL power in the house by switching off the
single main circuit breaker before you pull out individual circuit breakers.
Even if each circuit breaker is off (and as you mentioned possibly faulty?)
there is electricity on the buss bars below, into which the circuit breakers
are plugged. And if something such as a metal screwdriver being used to pry
out the breakers, slipped! Zap ............ !!!!
I would not advise prying at them if you are not familar with how they
detach and attach. You could study one that has been removed to see how it
clicks, locks and or plugs in.
But you could do damage to the circuit breaker panel itself by prying
pressure exerted in the wrong place. It would be worth getting some help
since you appear to be not very familiar with electricity?
Your breakers may well be old and faulty.
If they are mounted 'outside', which is the case with some mobile homes etc.
they may be more exposed to the weather than those mounted inside. Is the
circuit breaker panel corroded in any way?
Also, and not to be negative, are you sure that the breakers are the ONLY
problem? What is the age, condition and type of your residence wiring. Is it
possibly for example, aluminum wiring? Are the switches and outlets in good
condition? Your family safety and house insurance require you to keep it in
good condition.
Are your smoke alarms installed and working? Just in case.
Not to alarm just be safe. Best of luck. Terry.

Bennett Price

I'd trying flipping all the breakers on and off a few times and see
whether the dimming problem goes away. If it does, you know the problem
is (was?) in the breaker. Perhaps the metallic contacts inside the
breaker are a bit rusted/corroded.

Karen wrote:
On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 11:45:48 -0230, "Terry"
wrote:

"Karen" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

Thanks I have copper wiring and live in a house. All the houses in my
subdivision have the box on the outside. Yes the box it's self is a
little rusty but the guy said the insides looked ok, except for the age
of the breakers, which is 1967 on all of them.
I will give it another go tomorrow when it's dry outside. No I'm not
really sure the breakers are the only problem but guess I will start
with them,,,,if I can remove them
Thanks again

HA HA Budys Here

From: Karen

"Karen" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Make sure that, as your're replacing them, you put the correct amperage
breakers back on the same wires as previous, and in the same slot position as
well.

If you mix 2 wires up, you may end up with a couple of 220v loads not working,
or 2 120v circuits which share a neutral ending up on the same leg of your
service, which could cause a fire.

Tekkie

Karen posted for all of us....

[...]

Please post the manufacturer, you will get more of a helpful response to the
question asked. As a word of advice the breakers may/not be the
cause/solution to your problem. Your lack of experience (I am NOT flaming
here) may cost you unnecessary money/trauma. Electricity kills... perhaps
your neighbors could recommend an electrician. It may be cheaper in the
long run. Please post back your results.
--
Tekkie
Stormin Mormon

Sounds like you'd do yourself a favor to have an electrician do the job for
you. Or a handyman. Electricity is nothing to mess with. I've been in a lot
of electrical panels, and it still makes me nervous. (and well it should;
the moment you get comfortable, you get zapped).

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Karen" wrote in message
[...]

G. Morgan

Someone named Karen Proclaimed on Wed, 22 Sep
2004 06:26:12 -0400,

I will give it
another go. You're right I can't afford to pay an electrician to do this
job. If my fingers aren't strong enough to pull the breakers out I will
have to ask someone to help me. I will post back w

Jesus... another bites the dust.

Stop this idiot before she hurts herself..

G. Morgan

Someone named Karen Proclaimed on Wed, 22 Sep
2004 06:26:12 -0400,

I will give it
another go. You're right I can't afford to pay an electrician to do this
job. If my fingers aren't strong enough to pull the breakers out I will
have to ask someone to help me. I will post back w

Jesus... another bites the dust.

Stop this idiot before she hurts herself..

I'm cross-posting this for your own good. Please read the expert
opinions..

In alt.engineering.electrical Karen wrote:

|Stop this idiot before she hurts herself..
|
| I figured it was only a matter of time before someone started calling me
| names. You don't even know me. If a man were asking for advice would he
| also be an idiot?

Not because of merely asking for advice, but for getting into things they
are not prepared to safely handle. For men asking for advise (which they
more often don't do) we don't generally try to actually intercede; we just
tell them they could kill themselves, then we let Darwin's nature take its
course.

With women, I think there is a greater propensity for men to intercede
and avoid someone killing themselves. I'd hope other women would do the
same for women.

| Thanks to those that did give me advice and warnings. I'm not going to
| lower myself to your level and call you names.

Oh good. I was worried there for an instant.

| I may not know how to change breakers, but I do know how to use a
| computer. I won't be back to read further flames. If I want to hear name
| calling like that I will call my X-boyfriend.

That's what they're there for.

G. Morgan

Someone named Karen Proclaimed on Wed, 22 Sep
2004 08:32:30 -0400,

I figured it was only a matter of time before someone started calling me
names. You don't even know me. If a man were asking for advice would he
also be an idiot?
Thanks to those that did give me advice and warnings. I'm not going to
lower myself to your level and call you names.
I may not know how to change breakers, but I do know how to use a
computer. I won't be back to read further flames. If I want to hear name
calling like that I will call my X-boyfriend.

Don't be so sensitive Karen. I got your attention, didn't I? I am
concerned about someone working on a *live* panel with no electrical
knowledge. It doesn't matter to me what your gender is. If you
insist on doing the job yourself, ask the guys in this forum about
safety precautions. Ohh, and BTW, I'm single. Did I already blow my
chances?

HA HA Budys Here

From: G. Morgan

Ohh, and BTW, I'm single. Did I already blow my
chances?

How would she know? And who the hell is My Chances?

Stormin Mormon

Most circuit boxes, every other breaker is on a different "leg" of the
power. So..... what you don't know can sometimes hurt you.

Let us know how it works out.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Karen" wrote in message

Thanks to everyone for their advice and concern. I'm not sure of the
manufacture because I haven't been able to get one out to look at it.
Believe me I will be careful. If it stops raining today I will give it
another go. You're right I can't afford to pay an electrician to do this
job. If my fingers aren't strong enough to pull the breakers out I will
have to ask someone to help me. I will post back with the results after
I'm finished.
As far as mixing the wires up I'm only going to do one at a time and the
way it was explained to me one side of the box has 120, and the other
side has 120, so except on the big breakers I don't see how I could mess
that up but will be careful. The guy that was here even left me some
white tape to use to write on the wire as I pull it off where it goes
back.
Thanks

Stormin Mormon

Yes, folks call men names, too. It isn't (always) a sexist thing. But it can
be.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Karen" wrote in message

Stop this idiot before she hurts herself..

I figured it was only a matter of time before someone started calling me
names. You don't even know me. If a man were asking for advice would he
also be an idiot?
Thanks to those that did give me advice and warnings. I'm not going to
lower myself to your level and call you names.
I may not know how to change breakers, but I do know how to use a
computer. I won't be back to read further flames. If I want to hear name
calling like that I will call my X-boyfriend.

Bill

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 08:32:30 -0400, Karen wrote:

Stop this idiot before she hurts herself..

I figured it was only a matter of time before someone started calling me
names. You don't even know me. If a man were asking for advice would he
also be an idiot?
Thanks to those that did give me advice and warnings. I'm not going to
lower myself to your level and call you names.
I may not know how to change breakers, but I do know how to use a
computer. I won't be back to read further flames. If I want to hear name
calling like that I will call my X-boyfriend.

Hi Karen,
don't pay any attention to the timid individuals who don't have enough
guts to try and do something dangerous on their own! You know
electricity is dangerous...you know to wear rubber gloves...don't be
grounded...stand on a rubber mat while working on your breaker
box...go to an electrical supply house and have the name of the
circuit breaker box manufacturer...the amperage ratings of the
breakers you want to replace...and you will get the correct hardware

don't take any substitutes! If the guy says it's the same you are
asking for trouble getting it to go in...just call supply houses until
you get one that stocks the exact same brand breaker box and breakers
you have in your house...

after you get your equipment back to the house, hold one of those new
breakers up in front of the breaker box as if you were going to slide
it into place...you see the little notch on the back? If you slide
that little notch into position first...then the breaker will snap
right into place! Now, you can tell which way to pop that old breaker
to make it snap out. If you aren't strong enough...take a blunt
instrument like a screwdriver "handle" and tap it against the flip
switch a few taps to dislodge that breaker...it will come out. Just
know you are hitting it in the right direction because if you keep
hitting it in the direction to which it was installed it will never
come out.

You are probably saving yourself several hundred dollars!

Regards,
Bill

Old electrical wiring to outbuildings Nate Baxley Home Repair 11 July 19th 04 07:53 PM
2-pole GFCI breaker for Edison (shared neutral) circuit _firstname_@lr_dot_los-gatos_dot_ca.us Home Ownership 2 March 30th 04 02:30 PM
Lamp killing circuit breakers? Michael Burr Home Repair 9 December 3rd 03 09:31 PM
Lamp killing circuit breakers? Michael Burr Home Ownership 7 December 3rd 03 09:31 PM