Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Need to tap off circuit for kitchen hi-hats

I had posted another thread a few days ago about an upcoming kitchen
reno. Here's another electrical question. As I said before I have to
run 4 new 20A Circuits to a panel.

1 circuit -Fridge
1 circuit -Microwave/Range Hood
2 circuits- Counter top outlets

Now I have to address the lighting issue. Presently I have one fixture
in the middle ( which is coming off a 20A bathroom circuit). I am
adding at least 4-6 hi-hats in addition to keeping the middle fixture.
My intention was after I tear down the walls and ceiling to re-wire
the lights the right way to an existing 15A lighting circuit, but in
the event I can't find one nearby, what are my options?

1-Keep it on the existing 20A bathroom circuit
2-Tap off one of the 4 circuits I'm running for the kitchen

The panel will be pretty full after running the 4 new circuits, so
running a seperate 15 A line is not an option.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 6, 9:39*am, Mikepier wrote:
[...]

I would not use the bath or various kitchen receptical circuits as a
light circuit source. What other nearby lighting circuits are there
and what is their loads? Like dining room, hall, family room, living
room, other rooms near the kitchen. You can run a new piece of 14/2
from an existing lighting circuit breaker. Just figure out which one
still has capacity. You're looking to keep it under 80%. Otherwise
you can double up a single box slot with one of those two 15a breakers
in a single slot. Lowes has them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2010-10-06, Mikepier wrote:

Now I have to address the lighting issue. Presently I have one
fixture in the middle ( which is coming off a 20A bathroom circuit).

Does that circuit serve the required bathroom GFCI receptacle? Then
it is not allowed to serve loads outside the bathroom. If it serves
only other loads in the bathroom (lighting, fans, etc.), then it is
fine to have the kitchen lights on it.

2-Tap off one of the 4 circuits I'm running for the kitchen

Putting the kitchen lights on the 2 SABCs (countertop circuits) is not
allowed.

Putting the kitchen lights on the circuit with the microwave/range
hood is only allowed if the microhood is hardwired, not
cord-and-plug-connected, which is unlikely.

Putting the kitchen lights on the refrigerator circuit is fine, and
depending on the rating of the refrigerator you probably have sufficient
capacity on that circuit if you make it a 20A circuit.

Since you are talking about kitchen lighting, don't forget about the
energy code. In California, for example, there is a requirement that
a certain percentage by wattage (50%?) of the kitchen lighting be
high-efficacy lighting. Since it is measured by wattage, that means
most of the lighting. And CFLs in standard medium base sockets don't
count as high-efficacy, you have to use sockets that will not accept
low-efficacy lamps.

Cheers, Wayne
Posted to alt.home.repair

Does that circuit serve the required bathroom GFCI receptacle? *Then
it is not allowed to serve loads outside the bathroom. *If it serves
only other loads in the bathroom (lighting, fans, etc.), then it is
fine to have the kitchen lights on it.

I guess I can't do it then because that whole bathroom
(lighting,fan,GFI outlet) is on one 20A breaker.

Putting the kitchen lights on the 2 SABCs (countertop circuits) is not
allowed.

Ok, I figured that would be bad

Putting the kitchen lights on the circuit with the microwave/range
hood is only allowed if the microhood is hardwired, not
cord-and-plug-connected, which is unlikely.

It is corded, so count that out.

Putting the kitchen lights on the refrigerator circuit is fine, and
depending on the rating of the refrigerator you probably have sufficient
capacity on that circuit if you make it a 20A circuit.

It is going to be a dedicated 20A for the fridge. My only concern was
if the lights would dim everytime the fridge kicked on. But this is
not a full size 36" fridge. This is for a 30" fridge, which I'm
assuming uses less power.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2010-10-06, Mikepier wrote:

It is going to be a dedicated 20A for the fridge. My only concern
was if the lights would dim everytime the fridge kicked on. But this
is not a full size 36" fridge. This is for a 30" fridge, which I'm
assuming uses less power.

Well, you can find out the load by checking the nameplate rating of
the refrigerator. If you haven't selected one yet, check a few of the
proper size and style. Since the refrigerator will be designed to
work on a 15A circuit, you'll have at least 5A of headroom for
lighting with your 20A circuit.

As for dimming, that could definitely happen. You could run your
circuit from the panel to the refrigerator receptacle first and upsize
that run to #10 or #8 Cu (just watch the box fill). That would reduce
the voltage drop when the compressor starts up. Then you could run
#12 Cu from there onwards for all the lighting. Everything would
still be on a 20A breaker.

Cheers, Wayne

spacing of hi-hats in new kitchen re-model Mikepier Home Repair 13 September 27th 07 07:50 PM
kitchen radial circuit Cuprager UK diy 7 April 24th 06 03:37 PM
Kitchen lights on ring circuit antgel UK diy 6 June 13th 05 09:40 AM
Kitchen Circuit mike Home Repair 7 February 28th 05 11:16 PM
Kitchen circuit Jim Green UK diy 10 December 16th 04 10:11 AM