antgel

Default Kitchen lights on ring circuit

Hi all,

I'm rewiring lighting in my kitchen. The light switch is a 2-gang.
One switch switches the ceiling lights. The other switched the under
cupboard lights. I want to:
1. Move the under cupboard lights to the other side of the kitchen.
2. Have them switched by a switch just above the work surface, not the
wall switch.
Given all this, and the fact that the intended destination for the
lights is near the mains ring, am I allowed to wire the under-cupboard
lights from a FCU wired into the ring, rather than having to extend the
lighting circuit?

Antony

Chipmunk

On 12 Jun 2005 06:56:47 -0700, "antgel" wrote:

am I allowed to wire the under-cupboard
lights from a FCU wired into the ring, rather than having to extend the
lighting circuit?

Sounds perfectly ok to me, and sensible... if you lose a circuit, the
entire kitchen doesn't get blacked out, which could be dangerous. I
don't think there is any hard and fast rule, but your plan sounds like
the best one in this case.

One suggestion I WOULD make is to make the 'switch just above the work
surface' the FCU. That way anyone else working on the circuit later
will *know* it's fed from an alternate circuit and the lighting
breaker won't turn it off:-)

--
"I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it
says something about human nature that the only form of life
antgel

Chipmunk wrote:
On 12 Jun 2005 06:56:47 -0700, "antgel" wrote:

am I allowed to wire the under-cupboard
lights from a FCU wired into the ring, rather than having to extend the
lighting circuit?

Sounds perfectly ok to me, and sensible... if you lose a circuit, the
entire kitchen doesn't get blacked out, which could be dangerous. I
don't think there is any hard and fast rule, but your plan sounds like
the best one in this case.

One suggestion I WOULD make is to make the 'switch just above the work
surface' the FCU. That way anyone else working on the circuit later
will *know* it's fed from an alternate circuit and the lighting
breaker won't turn it off:-)

That was my intention, more for convenience than anything, but I take
your point on board. I assume I can just daisy-chain the lights from
the FCU?

Antony

Chipmunk

On 12 Jun 2005 08:53:27 -0700, "antgel" wrote:
I assume I can just daisy-chain the lights from the FCU?

Antony

So long as the method you use is approved for that fixture by the
manufacturer, and complies with the wiring regulations.

Just be sure to provide adequate mechanical protection for the wiring
that will be close to the work surface.

*Disclaimer*
Adding electrical accessories in a kitchen comes under the scope of
part P now, and would technically require you to notify your plans to
the local building people.

--
"I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it
says something about human nature that the only form of life
we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created
life in our own image." - Stephen Hawking
Ellis Greensitt

"antgel" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi all,

I'm rewiring lighting in my kitchen. The light switch is a 2-gang.
One switch switches the ceiling lights. The other switched the under
cupboard lights. I want to:
1. Move the under cupboard lights to the other side of the kitchen.
2. Have them switched by a switch just above the work surface, not the
wall switch.
Given all this, and the fact that the intended destination for the
lights is near the mains ring, am I allowed to wire the under-cupboard
lights from a FCU wired into the ring, rather than having to extend the
lighting circuit?

Antony

What you are suggesting is fine but this work does fall under Part P of the
building regs and thus notifiable to the LABC, you will also need to be
competent to test your handywork and produce a minor works certificate. This
may mean is is more practical to get a part p approved electrician to do the
work and test for you.

--
Ellis Greensitt
Site Admin, UK Electricians Forum

chris French

In message , Ellis Greensitt
writes
"antgel" wrote in message
roups.com...
Hi all,

I'm rewiring lighting in my kitchen.

snip

What you are suggesting is fine but this work does fall under Part P of the
building regs and thus notifiable to the LABC, you will also need to be
competent to test your handywork and produce a minor works certificate. This
may mean is is more practical to get a part p approved electrician to do the
work and test for you.

Or it may mean it's more practical to ignore Part P and just do it
anyway.
--
Chris French

Christian McArdle

you will also need to be competent to test your handywork and
produce a minor works certificate. This

Nah. That's the LA's job, although if you happen to do it for them, they
might not bother to make an inspection visit.

Christian.

Circuit breaking due to Malibu lights Sennin Home Repair 5 March 11th 05 03:30 PM
Locating Circuit Breaker( barry martin Home Repair 0 December 19th 04 11:29 PM
lighting on a ring circuit? Mark UK diy 11 December 18th 04 09:30 AM
Kitchen circuit Jim Green UK diy 10 December 16th 04 10:11 AM
how many recessed lights to a circuit? SaM Home Repair 3 August 29th 04 04:28 PM