Posted to alt.home.repair
Wayne Whitney Wayne Whitney is offline

Default Need to tap off circuit for kitchen hi-hats

On 2010-10-06, Mikepier wrote:

It is going to be a dedicated 20A for the fridge. My only concern
was if the lights would dim everytime the fridge kicked on. But this
is not a full size 36" fridge. This is for a 30" fridge, which I'm
assuming uses less power.

Well, you can find out the load by checking the nameplate rating of
the refrigerator. If you haven't selected one yet, check a few of the
proper size and style. Since the refrigerator will be designed to
work on a 15A circuit, you'll have at least 5A of headroom for
lighting with your 20A circuit.

As for dimming, that could definitely happen. You could run your
circuit from the panel to the refrigerator receptacle first and upsize
that run to #10 or #8 Cu (just watch the box fill). That would reduce
the voltage drop when the compressor starts up. Then you could run
#12 Cu from there onwards for all the lighting. Everything would
still be on a 20A breaker.

Cheers, Wayne