Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Painting Tire Rims

I'm looking for ideas for painting the Wagon Wheel rims for my
trailer.

I need to replace the tires, so I figure this is a good time to clean-
up the rims also.

They have some rust, so I know I'll be sanding. I don't have a sand
blaster and I'd rather do this for not much more than the cost of the
paint - i.e. I'd like to avoid getting a body shop involved.

My plan was to use a paint stripper to remove as much of the old paint
as possible, then sand any remaining rust off.

2 coats of spray primer, 2 coats of spray paint and a coat of clear.

Of course, that all sounds too simple. What am I missing?

Thanks!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 4, 10:43*am, DerbyDad03 wrote:
I'm looking for ideas for painting the Wagon Wheel rims for my
trailer.

I need to replace the tires, so I figure this is a good time to clean-
up the rims also.

They have some rust, so I know I'll be sanding. I don't have a sand
blaster and I'd rather do this for not much more than the cost of the
paint - i.e. I'd like to avoid getting a body shop involved.

My plan was to use a paint stripper to remove as much of the old paint
as possible, then sand any remaining rust off.

2 coats of spray primer, 2 coats of spray paint and a coat of clear.

Of course, that all sounds too simple. *What am I missing?

Thanks!

Use Hammerite paint. No priming necessary on bare steel, it's a tough
finish, and it's easy to patch. It has a textured surface, which
would look pretty sharp on rims.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 4, 10:45*am, RicodJour wrote:
[...]

R- Hide quoted text -

Thanks.

I'm currently running white rims on a black trailer. Doesn't look like
Hammerite comes in a Hammered White, only Smooth.

Still, it seems I don't have to be as fanatical about the rust. I'll
be looking for a local source. Thanks again.

http://www.tcpglobal.com/autobodydepot/hamrustcap.aspx
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
DerbyDad03 wrote:

I'm looking for ideas for painting the Wagon Wheel rims for my
trailer.

I need to replace the tires, so I figure this is a good time to clean-
up the rims also.

They have some rust, so I know I'll be sanding. I don't have a sand
blaster and I'd rather do this for not much more than the cost of the
paint - i.e. I'd like to avoid getting a body shop involved.

My plan was to use a paint stripper to remove as much of the old paint
as possible, then sand any remaining rust off.

2 coats of spray primer, 2 coats of spray paint and a coat of clear.

Of course, that all sounds too simple. What am I missing?

Thanks!

You're missing a sandblaster. There's a guy in your town who'll do both
rims for $20. You'll spend hours and hours on it and they'll still look
bad. Personally I'd go a step further and take them to an industrial
metal finisher and have them powder coated.

Any job worth doing is worth doing well. If doing it well isn't in the
budget, don't do it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:
-snip-
My plan was to use a paint stripper to remove as much of the old paint
as possible, then sand any remaining rust off.

I hate sanding- I'd go at it with an angle grinder and wire brush.
[right from the git-go] I seem to use the cup style brush most
often, but I have a couple others to choose from.

2 coats of spray primer, 2 coats of spray paint and a coat of clear.

Of course, that all sounds too simple. What am I missing?

Different strokes, maybe-- I'd go with Extend, then a primerless
paint. I used some of the True Value house brand this spring and
was pleased with how it came out on some patio furniture. [I'd use
Extend on the inside- but not paint it.]

I used to be a Rustoleum fan-- but my True Value guy knows his paints
and suggested I try the primerless stuff. He made a believer out of
me.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 4, 11:32*am, Smitty Two wrote:
In article
,

*DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

budget, don't do it.- Hide quoted text -

It's 3 rims with the spare, but I hear what you're saying. Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

*DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

You're really bad at spending other people's money. You should be
telling DD to get the things chromed, or to replace them and get
spinners.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Smitty Two wrote:
-snip-

Any job worth doing is worth doing well. If doing it well isn't in the
budget, don't do it.

Only DD can answer for his job- but for me the only reason I'd paint
the rims on my trailer is to preserve their life. Don't need powder
coat for that. [Nor would I spend $30 a wheel to have it done when I
could buy a new wheel & tire for $40]

OTOH- I might get some steel rims for my Impala- and powder coating
them might interest me.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 4, 2:22*pm, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
Smitty Two wrote:

-snip-

Any job worth doing is worth doing well. If doing it well isn't in the
budget, don't do it.

Only DD can answer for his job- but for me the only reason I'd paint
the rims on my trailer is to preserve their life. * *Don't need powder
coat for that. * [Nor would I spend $30 a wheel to have it done when I
could buy a new wheel & tire for $40]

OTOH- I might get some steel rims for my Impala- and powder coating
them might interest me. * *

Jim

"Only DD can answer for his job..."

....and I will!

I can get some mid-range tires, same size as the originals (which have
been on the trailer for 15 years) - $69 each, mounted and balanced. I
only need 2, as the spare is fine.

The trailer is 15 YO, not spanking new, but certainly presentable.

Whatever I'm able to do in my backyard as far as cleaning up the
wheels and painting them for the cost of the paint will be
sufficient.

I'd sure like to know where I could get a new wheel and tire for $40.
ST205/75R15 Load Range C

$69 was cheapest I found from a local trailer dealer. Online and in a
local tire store, I've been quoted $85 to $100.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 4 Oct 2010 07:43:07 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

I'm looking for ideas for painting the Wagon Wheel rims for my
trailer.

I need to replace the tires, so I figure this is a good time to clean-
up the rims also.

They have some rust, so I know I'll be sanding. I don't have a sand
blaster and I'd rather do this for not much more than the cost of the
paint - i.e. I'd like to avoid getting a body shop involved.

My plan was to use a paint stripper to remove as much of the old paint
as possible, then sand any remaining rust off.

2 coats of spray primer, 2 coats of spray paint and a coat of clear.

Of course, that all sounds too simple. What am I missing?

Thanks!

Metal Prep or Phosphoric acid before the primer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 4 Oct 2010 12:00:33 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Oct 4, 2:22Â*pm, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
Smitty Two wrote:

-snip-

Any job worth doing is worth doing well. If doing it well isn't in the
budget, don't do it.

Only DD can answer for his job- but for me the only reason I'd paint
the rims on my trailer is to preserve their life. Â* Â*Don't need powder
coat for that. Â* [Nor would I spend $30 a wheel to have it done when I
could buy a new wheel & tire for $40]

OTOH- I might get some steel rims for my Impala- and powder coating
them might interest me. Â* Â*

Jim

"Only DD can answer for his job..."

...and I will!

I can get some mid-range tires, same size as the originals (which have
been on the trailer for 15 years) - $69 each, mounted and balanced. I
only need 2, as the spare is fine.

The trailer is 15 YO, not spanking new, but certainly presentable.

Whatever I'm able to do in my backyard as far as cleaning up the
wheels and painting them for the cost of the paint will be
sufficient.

I'd sure like to know where I could get a new wheel and tire for $40.
ST205/75R15 Load Range C

$69 was cheapest I found from a local trailer dealer. Online and in a
local tire store, I've been quoted $85 to $100.

And do NOT cheap out and put car tires on. LTs perhaps, but not car.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Oct 4, 2:22*pm, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
Smitty Two wrote:

-snip-

[...]

*And do NOT cheap out and put car tires on. LTs perhaps, but not car.- Hide quoted text -

While I do not plan on using passenger tires, it was suggested (by a
tire store) that as long as the load rating for the tries is
equivalent to the trailer tires (like a 7000 pound load rating vs. a
Load Rating C) it wouldn't be a problem. When I ran that by a trailer
shop, the guy sort of agreed but said that the price difference was so
trivial, why not just buy a trailer tire.

That's the plan!
Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:

-snip-

I'd sure like to know where I could get a new wheel and tire for $40.

For *my* trailer- Harbor Freight.

ST205/75R15 Load Range C

Mine is a 12" - I think you've got the right plan-

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Oct 4, 2:22Â*pm, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
Smitty Two wrote:

-snip-

[...]

Â*And do NOT cheap out and put car tires on. LTs perhaps, but not car.- Hide quoted text -

While I do not plan on using passenger tires, it was suggested (by a
tire store) that as long as the load rating for the tries is
equivalent to the trailer tires (like a 7000 pound load rating vs. a
Load Rating C) it wouldn't be a problem. When I ran that by a trailer
shop, the guy sort of agreed but said that the price difference was so
trivial, why not just buy a trailer tire.

That's the plan!

The sidewalls on trailer tires are stiffer and stronger - a trailer
that wags like a puppy's tail on passenger tires often trails along
like it's not there on trailer tires.
Many tire shops will not install passenger tires on a trailer.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,

*DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

OPM is the easiest kind to spend, but I was still thinking frugal.
Personally, I wouldn't spend $5 or 5 minutes on prettying up a trailer
wheel. But, owning a high-end hobby sandblaster (~$1800 about 8 years
ago), when I *do* want something to look nice, I blast. It beats the
hell out of sanding by two orders of magnitude.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Oct 4, 2:22*pm, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
Smitty Two wrote:

-snip-

[...]

I know that.

I believe the point that the tire store guy was trying to make was
that once you get up around a 7000 lb rating, the sidewalls of a
passenger tire are stiff enough to support a 5 x 8 trailer, especially
if you're not hauling anywhere near the rating.

In any case, as I said, I'm going with the trailer tires from the
trailer shop once I clean up the wheels.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 04 Oct 2010 07:43:07 -0700, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I'm looking for ideas for painting the Wagon Wheel rims for my trailer.

I need to replace the tires, so I figure this is a good time to clean-
up the rims also.

They have some rust, so I know I'll be sanding. I don't have a sand
blaster and I'd rather do this for not much more than the cost of the
paint - i.e. I'd like to avoid getting a body shop involved.

Do you have a compressor? You could DIY a sandblaster if so (I've done it
here and results were pretty good).

Or a wire cup-brush in an angle grinder is good, as someone mentioned -
it just won't get right into the corners, so you'd still be left with
some manual work there.

Or just hammerite it with some brush-on stuff, then spray over the top.
They're wheels, and they're going to get dirty and chipped very quickly,
so there's probably no point going for perfection.

cheers

Jules

Posted to alt.home.repair

Your may want to check Tractor Supply they have good deals on tires and
wheels.

--
Airport Shuttle

'' (http://www.yourcityride.com)
Message origin: TRAVEL.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

Smitty Two wrote in
news

OPM is the easiest kind to spend, but I was still thinking frugal.
Personally, I wouldn't spend $5 or 5 minutes on prettying up a trailer
wheel. But, owning a high-end hobby sandblaster (~$1800 about 8 years
ago), when I *do* want something to look nice, I blast. It beats the
hell out of sanding by two orders of magnitude.

the newest thing is soda blasting.
It is eco-friendly and cleans up with water.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote the following:
[...]

Go retro. Paint the wheels Red, like most automobile wheels were painted
back in the 30s.

Still, it seems I don't have to be as fanatical about the rust. I'll
be looking for a local source. Thanks again.

http://www.tcpglobal.com/autobodydepot/hamrustcap.aspx

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Jim Yanik wrote:

Smitty Two wrote in
news

OPM is the easiest kind to spend, but I was still thinking frugal.
Personally, I wouldn't spend $5 or 5 minutes on prettying up a trailer
wheel. But, owning a high-end hobby sandblaster (~$1800 about 8 years
ago), when I *do* want something to look nice, I blast. It beats the
hell out of sanding by two orders of magnitude.

the newest thing is soda blasting.
It is eco-friendly and cleans up with water.

I didn't know sandblasting was eco-unfriendly. Have you any experience
with soda blasting? I did a five minute research project on google.
Curious about how quickly and well it could remove paint and rust if it
doesn't harm glass or rubber.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 4, 3:00*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Oct 4, 2:22*pm, Jim Elbrecht wrote:

Smitty Two wrote:

-snip-

[...]

I would advise against relying on a 15 year old tire as a "spare",
time
and the exposure to the elements even if covered will reduce a tire's
lifespan... Besides that unless you match all of the tires properties
and ratings exactly you could have performance issues when you
try to use the tire before it detreads or blows out...

As far as finding cheap tires and wheels, you go to your local junk
yard and look for busted up newer cars that were in accidents that
still have decent looking tires and rims on them -- bargains are to be
found...

~~ Evan
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 5, 3:28*pm, Evan wrote:
On Oct 4, 3:00*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:

On Oct 4, 2:22*pm, Jim Elbrecht wrote:

Smitty Two wrote:

-snip-

[...]

~~ Evan- Hide quoted text -

"I would advise against relying on a 15 year old tire as a
"spare"..."

Never said the spare was 15 YO.

If fact, the spare is newer than the 2 tires that are on the axle, but
it doesn't match and the tread pattern is different.

The plan is to buy 2 new tires, retain the current spare as a spare
and cleanup all 3 rims.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/5/2010 6:22 PM, Jim Yanik wrote:
Smitty wrote in newsrestwhich-
:

In . 3.44,
Jim wrote:

Smitty wrote in
news

OPM is the easiest kind to spend, but I was still thinking frugal.
Personally, I wouldn't spend $5 or 5 minutes on prettying up a trailer
wheel. But, owning a high-end hobby sandblaster (~$1800 about 8 years
ago), when I *do* want something to look nice, I blast. It beats the
hell out of sanding by two orders of magnitude.

the newest thing is soda blasting.
It is eco-friendly and cleans up with water.

I didn't know sandblasting was eco-unfriendly.

compared to chemicals or beadblasting,I guess.

IIRC,sandblasting removes more material you don't want removed.(metal)

Have you any experience
with soda blasting? I did a five minute research project on google.
Curious about how quickly and well it could remove paint and rust if it
doesn't harm glass or rubber.

I've just seen it being done on a couple of TV auto shows. Muscle Car
Workout(MCW) on WDBS CH.15 Daytona Beach(PBS),and IIRC,SpeedChannel's
Chop,Cut,and Rebuild (CCR)
It stripped the paint off a car body pretty quick,right down to bare metal.
MCW used it on the car body and the frame.

It ain't the blasting media that is non-green in most cases. (I used
sandbox sand last time I blasted something.) It is the crud that is
stripped off the work that is toxic. Old lead paint, chemical residue,
etc. Most cities require tenting when blasting building faces and such.
Don't think anybody cares about a guy in a backyard, but the neighbors
might.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 05 Oct 2010 17:22:16 -0500, Jim Yanik
wrote:

Smitty Two wrote in newsrestwhich-
:

In article ,
Jim Yanik wrote:

Smitty Two wrote in
news

[...]

Sada blasting is good for removing paint - not so good for rust.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 5, 3:28 pm, Evan wrote:
On Oct 4, 3:00 pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:

On Oct 4, 2:22 pm, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
Smitty Two wrote:
-snip-
[...]

Perhaps not, but on 10/4/2010 at 3:00 PM (my EDT) You included the spare
in the following ambiguous paragraph.