Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour RicodJour is offline

Default Painting Tire Rims

On Oct 4, 11:32*am, Smitty Two wrote:
In article
,

*DerbyDad03 wrote:
I'm looking for ideas for painting the Wagon Wheel rims for my
trailer.

I need to replace the tires, so I figure this is a good time to clean-
up the rims also.

They have some rust, so I know I'll be sanding. I don't have a sand
blaster and I'd rather do this for not much more than the cost of the
paint - i.e. I'd like to avoid getting a body shop involved.

My plan was to use a paint stripper to remove as much of the old paint
as possible, then sand any remaining rust off.

2 coats of spray primer, 2 coats of spray paint and a coat of clear.

Of course, that all sounds too simple. *What am I missing?

Thanks!

You're missing a sandblaster. There's a guy in your town who'll do both
rims for $20. You'll spend hours and hours on it and they'll still look
bad. Personally I'd go a step further and take them to an industrial
metal finisher and have them powder coated.

Any job worth doing is worth doing well. If doing it well isn't in the
budget, don't do it.

You're really bad at spending other people's money. You should be
telling DD to get the things chromed, or to replace them and get
spinners.