kenny

Default Motorcycle rims dented?

Have a number of dented off road bike rims. Need to get them straight if
possible. Anyone have an idea of how to do this successfully?

kenny

Vaughn Simon

"kenny" wrote in message
Have a number of dented off road bike rims. Need to get them straight if
possible. Anyone have an idea of how to do this successfully?

Any reason why you don't just get new rims laced on to your hubs
(assuming steel rims here)? My understanding is that the rims are usually
standard items while the hubs are specific to the bike.

Vaughn

Nick Müller

kenny wrote:

Have a number of dented off road bike rims.

Next time buy Excel rims. Never got any of them dented.
For now, use a nylon hammer.

Nick
--
Motormodelle / Engine Models
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de

Roger & Lorraine Martin

"kenny" wrote in message
Have a number of dented off road bike rims. Need to get them straight if
possible. Anyone have an idea of how to do this successfully?

kenny

Steel rims can be squeesed back into shape - well nearly back into
shape. A pair of long handle pliers can be used, but it depends on
where the ding on the rim is. If the ding os on the outside of the rim
and not on the inside its impossible to fix - just live with it. I'd also
say that any ding that has caused the chrome to break away from
the surface is probably deep enough to have caused the metal to
become suspect - send off to the rubbish tip.

Alloy rims are always consigned to the rubbish dump. Reworking
the alloy rims makes them brittle. BMW produced some lovely
brittle rims back in the early 1980s, hitting a pothole was enough
to crack them.

jim rozen

In article , kenny says...

Have a number of dented off road bike rims. Need to get them straight if
possible. Anyone have an idea of how to do this successfully?

1) place wheel flat on bench.

2) place new rim on top of old rim.

3) transfer spokes from old rim to new rim.

4) true, reinstall tire.

Done.

Jim

please reply to:

Nick Müller

jim rozen wrote:

2) place new rim on top of old rim.

3) transfer spokes from old rim to new rim.

I doubt that you have _ever_ done it that way!

Nick
--
Motormodelle / Engine Models
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de
todays SPAMfeed:

jim rozen

In article ,
=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Nick_M=FCller?= says...

2) place new rim on top of old rim.

3) transfer spokes from old rim to new rim.

I doubt that you have _ever_ done it that way!

LOL

Most times when I'm putting new rims on, it's on an
older wheel, so I use a specialty tool to remove the
spokes.

A pair of large diagonal cutters.

This is often easier than trying to unrust all the
nipples, and they usually wind up rounded off anyhow.

So most times in something like that there's a new
rim, new SS spokes, and new nipples involved. As a
side benefit, a wheel made with new components like
that practically trues itself on assembly.

Just remember to measure the dish offest on the
old wheel before taking it apart!!

Jim

please reply to:
Nick Müller

jim rozen wrote:

2) place new rim on top of old rim.

3) transfer spokes from old rim to new rim.

I doubt that you have _ever_ done it that way!

LOL

Why?
Read what you have written in steps 2+3. :-)
The new rim will anymore lay on the old rim, as soon as you move the
first spoke. Place it over, remove, place it over, remove, ...

Your verbose description is the way to do. Throw old spokes and nipples
away. But don't forget to count the crossings in the spokes _before_.
:-))

Nick