Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Painting Tire Rims

On Oct 5, 3:28*pm, Evan wrote:
On Oct 4, 3:00*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:

On Oct 4, 2:22*pm, Jim Elbrecht wrote:

Smitty Two wrote:

-snip-

Any job worth doing is worth doing well. If doing it well isn't in the
budget, don't do it.

Only DD can answer for his job- but for me the only reason I'd paint
the rims on my trailer is to preserve their life. * *Don't need powder
coat for that. * [Nor would I spend $30 a wheel to have it done when I
could buy a new wheel & tire for $40]

OTOH- I might get some steel rims for my Impala- and powder coating
them might interest me. * *

Jim

"Only DD can answer for his job..."

...and I will!

I can get some mid-range tires, same size as the originals (which have
been on the trailer for 15 years) - $69 each, mounted and balanced. I
only need 2, as the spare is fine.

The trailer is 15 YO, not spanking new, but certainly presentable.

Whatever I'm able to do in my backyard as far as cleaning up the
wheels and painting them for the cost of the paint will be
sufficient.

I'd sure like to know where I could get a new wheel and tire for $40.
ST205/75R15 Load Range C

$69 was cheapest I found from a local trailer dealer. Online and in a
local tire store, I've been quoted $85 to $100.

I would advise against relying on a 15 year old tire as a "spare",
time
and the exposure to the elements even if covered will reduce a tire's
lifespan... *Besides that unless you match all of the tires properties
and ratings exactly you could have performance issues when you
try to use the tire before it detreads or blows out...

As far as finding cheap tires and wheels, you go to your local junk
yard and look for busted up newer cars that were in accidents that
still have decent looking tires and rims on them -- bargains are to be
found...

~~ Evan- Hide quoted text -

"I would advise against relying on a 15 year old tire as a
"spare"..."

Never said the spare was 15 YO.

If fact, the spare is newer than the 2 tires that are on the axle, but
it doesn't match and the tread pattern is different.

The plan is to buy 2 new tires, retain the current spare as a spare
and cleanup all 3 rims.