Posted to alt.home.repair

Default woodpecker damage

any way to stop the damn woodpeckers from chewing up the wood siding?
doesnt seem to be any bug damage....
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/27/2010 6:55 PM, bpuharic wrote:
any way to stop the damn woodpeckers from chewing up the wood siding?
doesnt seem to be any bug damage....

Pellet gun works for me.

Posted to alt.home.repair

bpuharic wrote:
any way to stop the damn woodpeckers from chewing up the wood siding?
doesnt seem to be any bug damage....

If it's just at one or two spots, tacking a chunk of sheet metal over the damage
has worked for me.

Posted to alt.home.repair

bpuharic wrote:
any way to stop the damn woodpeckers from chewing up the wood siding?
doesnt seem to be any bug damage....

A sensitive microphone on the wood, amplify the tapping sound,
trigger a relay with that, and blast high frequency sound back
at the critters.
Or:
Buy a shotgun, and start practising.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 27 Sep 2010 19:55:40 -0400, bpuharic wrote:

any way to stop the damn woodpeckers from chewing up the wood siding?
doesnt seem to be any bug damage....

I've had good luck with tacking up several lengths of orange warning
barrier tape (like crime scene tape but bright orange). You take
several lengths a foot or two long and staple one end up high so the
other ends flap around in the wind. One bundle per house side seems to
be enough.

Looks ugly, but it has worked for me. I live in the woods and have
cedar siding, and before I started doing this, I would have 4 or 5
holes a year to fix.

Paul F.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 27, 8:05*pm, Paul Franklin
wrote:
On Mon, 27 Sep 2010 19:55:40 -0400, bpuharic wrote:
any way to stop the damn woodpeckers from chewing up the wood siding?
doesnt seem to be any bug damage....

*I've had good luck with tacking up several lengths of orange warning
barrier tape (like crime scene tape but bright orange). *You take
several lengths a foot or two long and staple one end up high so the
other ends flap around in the wind. One bundle per house side seems to
be enough.

Looks ugly, but it has worked for me. *I live in the woods and have
cedar siding, and before I started doing this, I would have 4 or 5
holes a year to fix.

Paul F.

Great idea, what's best place to get the tape, I don't have any crime
scenes around here that I know of.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/27/2010 7:55 PM, bpuharic wrote:
any way to stop the damn woodpeckers from chewing up the wood siding?
doesnt seem to be any bug damage....

My sympathies. My wood faux chimney stack has half a dozen little
plywood patches screwed to the cheap crap OSB t1-11 siding, twelve feet
off the ground (so he could grab onto the Z-flashing for support, I
guess.) The siding feels like it is rotted when they do a test peck, so
they think it is a good place to make a home. The sheet metal on the
chimney cap right above makes it a short walk to do their macho mating call.

No fresh holes this year, though. This spring, I kept hearing one
pecking on the sheet metal while I was sitting here at the computer, so
I would run out and holler at it, and chase it from tree to tree, all
the way over to neighbor's yard. Did that 3-4 times before it finally
got the hint. Sumbitch probably pecked a home in neighbor's shed, but is
still close enough that other woodpeckers consider the territory taken.

Whole damn house needs resided, but they want an arm and left nut to
redo it in any sort of real wood vertical siding. (Like real T1-11- no
more OSB for me.) People keep telling me to just cut my losses and
cover it in vinyl, but then it would look just like every other ugly
house in the subdivision. And housing prices are so low around here
right now, even vinyl probably would be a money-loser at resale time.

But to answer your question- no way to stop them that I know of, other
than reside with Hardie or something. (Got an estimate for that, for
giggles. Came to about 1/5 of what I paid for the house. Uh, NO.)

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/27/2010 9:55 PM, Paul Franklin wrote:
On Mon, 27 Sep 2010 18:17:26 -0700 (PDT), "hr(bob) "
wrote:

On Sep 27, 8:05 pm, Paul
wrote:
On Mon, 27 Sep 2010 19:55:40 -0400, wrote:
any way to stop the damn woodpeckers from chewing up the wood siding?
doesnt seem to be any bug damage....

I've had good luck with tacking up several lengths of orange warning
barrier tape (like crime scene tape but bright orange). You take
several lengths a foot or two long and staple one end up high so the
other ends flap around in the wind. One bundle per house side seems to
be enough.

Looks ugly, but it has worked for me. I live in the woods and have
cedar siding, and before I started doing this, I would have 4 or 5
holes a year to fix.

Paul F.

Great idea, what's best place to get the tape, I don't have any crime
scenes around here that I know of.

Well, you could create a crime scene :-)

Round here the borg carries it in various colors, I guess for taping
off construction areas. I read somewhere that the color does matter
and that orange is most effective for woodpeckers.

As an aside, whenever I dig a trench for power or whatever, I bury a
length of the tape in the trench a ways above whatever I've buried to
act as an early warning to anyone digging in the area later.

How long does the Borg stuff last underground? It is rather thin. I know
gas companies do what you are talking about, but the tape I have seen
them use is quite thick, almost like landscape fabric.

I wonder how long galvanized swingset chain would last underground, as a
warning marker? Does anyone sell precast paver stones with warnings
molded into the top? Like 'gas line below' or 'septic below', with words
plus an arrow to indicate direction? Cast them with a slug of
plastic-coated iron in the middle to make them easy to find if the sod
eats them, like it is prone to do.

--
aem sends...

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

act as an early warning to anyone digging in the area later.- Hide quoted text -

Great idea about the "warning" tape, I could have used it a few months
ago when Comcast couldn't bury their cable where I had marked on the
ground and dug a different route from the house to the pole.
Hopefully I won't be digging in the general area.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Hopefully I won't be digging in the general area.- Hide quoted text -

They make imitation cedar shingles in vinyl now, I have seen a bunch
of adds on tv over the past 4 months or so.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Marina wrote:
"Bob F" wrote in
:

bpuharic wrote:
any way to stop the damn woodpeckers from chewing up the wood
siding? doesnt seem to be any bug damage....

If it's just at one or two spots, tacking a chunk of sheet metal over
the damage has worked for me.

I had a bird that was pecking at the steel swingset. It also was
pecking at the steel cap on the chimney.

The motivation is different. The ones pecking on the siding are trying to make a
home, not noise. If they can't make a hole, they go elsewhere.

Posted to alt.home.repair

IGot2P wrote:
On 9/27/2010 6:55 PM, bpuharic wrote:
any way to stop the damn woodpeckers from chewing up the wood siding?
doesnt seem to be any bug damage....

Pellet gun works for me.

that's illegal in a lot (most? all?) places in the US. they're federally
protected.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 27, 9:38*pm, "Bob F" wrote:
Marina wrote:
"Bob F" wrote in
:

bpuharic wrote:
any way to stop the damn woodpeckers from chewing up the wood
siding? doesnt seem to be any bug damage....

If it's just at one or two spots, tacking a chunk of sheet metal over
the damage has worked for me.

I had a bird that was pecking at the steel swingset. *It also was
pecking at the steel cap on the chimney.

The motivation is different. The ones pecking on the siding are trying to make a
home, not noise. If they can't make a hole, they go elsewhere.

I covered my chimney cap with auto undercoating spray junk/foam to
stop a woodpecker from sounding off. It has worked for more than 10
years now. Can't use it on my cedar shingle siding though because it
looks pretty crappy.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 28, 12:55*am, bpuharic wrote:
any way to stop the damn woodpeckers from chewing up the wood siding?
doesnt seem to be any bug damage....

Buy and attach a cheap wind chime.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 28, 12:55*am, bpuharic wrote:
any way to stop the damn woodpeckers from chewing up the wood siding?
doesnt seem to be any bug damage....

OR if you get some unwanted CDs/CVDs and suspend them so they swing
about in the wind. The light flashes of various colours scares them.
For a while anyway.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Not so sure it's insects. Someone told me a while back, and he seemed
to know what he was talking about, that if they're pecking at siding
instead of trees it's for the noise-- mating, or scaring off
competitors, something like that. For insects they'll peck on trees.

If it's pecking on the same area, something that smells might drive it
away.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 28 Sep 2010 08:19:26 -0700, "chaniarts"
wrote:

IGot2P wrote:
On 9/27/2010 6:55 PM, bpuharic wrote:
any way to stop the damn woodpeckers from chewing up the wood siding?
doesnt seem to be any bug damage....

Pellet gun works for me.

that's illegal in a lot (most? all?) places in the US. they're federally
protected.

I tried to explain this to my hound dog. So far he has remained silent
in the matter.

Hound Dog 1
Woodpecker 0
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 28 Sep 2010 18:55:59 -0700, Oren wrote:
Pellet gun works for me.

that's illegal in a lot (most? all?) places in the US. they're federally
protected.

I tried to explain this to my hound dog. So far he has remained silent
in the matter.

I hope your dog attended the relevant safety course before you let him
loose with a firearm. :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Jules Richardson wrote:

On Tue, 28 Sep 2010 18:55:59 -0700, Oren wrote:
Pellet gun works for me.

that's illegal in a lot (most? all?) places in the US. they're federally
protected.

I tried to explain this to my hound dog. So far he has remained silent
in the matter.

I hope your dog attended the relevant safety course before you let him
loose with a firearm. :-)

Also be sure to post a warning sign:

http://www.manbottle.com/picture_lib...are_of_the_dog

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 30, 8:34*am, Warren Block wrote:
wrote:
On Mon, 27 Sep 2010 19:55:40 -0400, bpuharic wrote:

any way to stop the damn woodpeckers from chewing up the wood siding?
doesnt seem to be any bug damage....

There are bugs under that wood. Woodpeckers are not otherwise
interested in pecking wood.

They also poke many small holes to jam with seeds, larger holes for
nests, and bang on things just for the noise, to announce territory.
Earlier this year, there was a jackhammer running outside... that turned
out to be a pair of woodpeckers banging on my brick chimney.

Dog is clueless about woodpeckers, too. They bang to attract mates,
as well. Aluminum downspouts are favorites.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 30, 12:16*pm, wrote:

wrote:
On Mon, 27 Sep 2010 19:55:40 -0400, bpuharic wrote:

any way to stop the damn woodpeckers from chewing up the wood siding?
doesnt seem to be any bug damage....

There are bugs under that wood. Woodpeckers are not otherwise
interested in pecking wood.

They also poke many small holes to jam with seeds, larger holes for
nests, and bang on things just for the noise, to announce territory.
Earlier this year, there was a jackhammer running outside... that turned
out to be a pair of woodpeckers banging on my brick chimney.

Dog is clueless about woodpeckers, too. *They bang to attract mates,
as well. *Aluminum downspouts are favorites.

When they make holes in wood siding, there are bugs present.

Now Keith wants to change the subject to aluminum downspouts.

What an intellectually dishonest buffoon!

At least I can read the thread, liar.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 30, 1:19*pm, wrote:

wrote:
On Mon, 27 Sep 2010 19:55:40 -0400, bpuharic wrote:

any way to stop the damn woodpeckers from chewing up the wood siding?
doesnt seem to be any bug damage....

There are bugs under that wood. Woodpeckers are not otherwise
interested in pecking wood.

They also poke many small holes to jam with seeds, larger holes for
nests, and bang on things just for the noise, to announce territory..
Earlier this year, there was a jackhammer running outside... that turned
out to be a pair of woodpeckers banging on my brick chimney.

Dog is clueless about woodpeckers, too. *They bang to attract mates,
as well. *Aluminum downspouts are favorites.

When they make holes in wood siding, there are bugs present.

Now Keith wants to change the subject to aluminum downspouts.

What an intellectually dishonest buffoon!

At least I can read the thread, liar.

Too bad you can't even follow a conversation. Reading is obviously not
the same thing as understanding what you've read.

Says the illiterate liar.

Sorry if I got your tea bags all in a knot, dimwit.

Not me, saltydong.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jesus ****ing christ. Get a room already, Keith and Salty. You're both
making complete asses of yourselves. You gonna start acting like 9 year
olds in every thread, now?
Posted to alt.home.repair
J J is offline

I had same problem and googled for solutions. There are sites that
sell devices that move in the wind and the flash scares them off.
I built some of the devices out of wire and some gold colored aluminum
flashing I got at Ace hardware. I put one about every ten feet around
the house and that stopped the woodpeckers from pecking holes in my
redwood siding. They can be built cheap and would be worth trying.

On Mon, 27 Sep 2010 19:55:40 -0400, bpuharic wrote:

any way to stop the damn woodpeckers from chewing up the wood siding?
doesnt seem to be any bug damage....

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 27, 6:55*pm, bpuharic wrote:
any way to stop the damn woodpeckers from chewing up the wood siding?
doesnt seem to be any bug damage....

Woodpeckers are very aggressive, persistent and territorial. If they
begin to make clusters of holes in a localized area of your siding,
the chances that they will give up and go away are small. Holes
clusters are also an attractant to other woodpeckers, so part of the
remedy is to patch damage as soon as possible. There is also some
legitimacy in checking into possible insects which may be residing
under the wood.

If you have tried some of the "humane" methods suggested by homeowners
and commercial companies and find them somewhat ineffective, you may
have to get rid of the bird itself. To do this legally, you must have
a permit from the US Fish & Wildlife service, plus any state and local
permissions. However, hiring an animal control company for an
exorbitant sum is unnecessary. A simple, cheap and effective solution
is to fasten a rat trap to the siding in the area where the damage is
occurring. Position it with the pedal down, and bait it with suet or
other yummy woodpecker food like a nice big juicy bug. Very effective,
and quite humane if done properly so that the bird is killed instantly
and does not suffer.

Yup - woodpecker Srgnt Billko Home Repair 11 April 17th 07 09:03 PM
Woodpecker Nesting in Siding cybercat Home Repair 27 November 4th 06 03:59 PM
Woodpecker And Siding Damage: How To Prevent ? Robert11 Home Repair 4 April 27th 06 08:42 PM
Woodpecker plate stoutman Woodworking 9 March 19th 05 12:43 AM
Woodpecker vs Cuckoo What are my options 1_Patriotic_Guy Home Repair 13 October 14th 04 04:03 PM