1_Patriotic_Guy

Default Woodpecker vs Cuckoo What are my options

I would be grateful for any and all advice & humor -- A woodpecker has moved
into our neighborhood -- The side of my home is pressure treated wood with a
20 year stain applied. After a woodpecker attacked a corner of my home I
was told "There must be bugs underneath". After removing the wood, spraying
for bugs on the outside and in the attic, and manually inspecting for bugs,
there is absolutely no damage except the three three inch holes the
woodpecker drilled into the siding. I think he hears some sort of
ultrasonic antenna noise from the old TV antenna or the Cable for the cable
TV -- other than that he is just nuts. Nine of my ten neighbors will take
me out to dinner if I shoot him because he has been ripping into their homes
also.
The rich guy on the block is entertained an thinks we are all cuckoo
because he has steel siding.
Last week the woodpecker tore into my new pressure treated, bug
repellant sprayed, freshly stained corner trim. What are my options?

Going cuckoo in the midwest.

JerryL

"1_Patriotic_Guy" wrote in message
link.net...
[...]

Down here in Florida we have columns formed by styrofoam. Two years ago we
were attached by a group of peckers drilling holes through all the columns.
Tried everything to no avail. Finally took brightly colored plastic bags,
cut them into strips and placed them near all the columns. The plastic,
flapping in the breeze seemed to chase them. Took a few weeks before they
got the idea and moved on.

willshak

1_Patriotic_Guy wrote:

[...]

Humans are not the only species that can be mentally challenged!
G. Morgan

On Sat, 09 Oct 2004 19:59:38 GMT "1_Patriotic_Guy"
used 19 lines of text to write in newsgroup: alt.home.repair

What are my options?

You already answered your own question, shoot it.

If you want to keep it away from your house you could put up a owl
decoy.

-Graham

Remove the 'snails' from my email
Paul R

G. Morgan wrote:
On Sat, 09 Oct 2004 19:59:38 GMT "1_Patriotic_Guy"
used 19 lines of text to write in newsgroup: alt.home.repair

What are my options?

You already answered your own question, shoot it.

If you want to keep it away from your house you could put up a owl
decoy.

That's what I do here in SW Fla. I have an all-cypress 2 story house and
use a couple of life-size rubberized owl decoys that I bought at my
local feed store. I use fishing line to hang them about 2 feet below the
eves of the house and place them at the 2 corners of the house near the
areas where where they tend to be attracted. They don't come near the
house as long as the owls are hanging.

--
Paul R
-------------------------------

xrongor

"G. Morgan" wrote in message
On Sat, 09 Oct 2004 19:59:38 GMT "1_Patriotic_Guy"
used 19 lines of text to write in newsgroup: alt.home.repair

What are my options?

You already answered your own question, shoot it.

funny how the same guy who gets mad at the pro kerry posts, comes up with
'shoot it'

Zypher

The woodpecker's usually fill the hole with a nut from a nearby tree.
They'll come back later to 'eat the worms' that form in the nut. You don't
have bugs now, but you might later.

I tried the owl trick. But, the damn birds are smart and soon figure out
its not real. The ribbon idea probably works the best. Most birds are
frightened of anything they don't understand.... one neighbor used pie tins
and vegetable can lids to shine and flash in the wind.

--
Zyp
[...]

Pounds on Wood

That is one of the few good uses of an AOL CDrom.

--
Bill Pounds
http://www.billpounds.com/woodshop

[...]

JerryMouse

xrongor wrote:
"G. Morgan" wrote in message
On Sat, 09 Oct 2004 19:59:38 GMT "1_Patriotic_Guy"
used 19 lines of text to write in newsgroup: alt.home.repair

What are my options?

You already answered your own question, shoot it.

funny how the same guy who gets mad at the pro kerry posts, comes up
with 'shoot it'

Probably doesn't see much difference between Kerry and a Peckerwood.

SteveB

"Pounds on Wood" wrote in message
That is one of the few good uses of an AOL CDrom.

--
Bill Pounds

Paint some eyes on them with a MarksALot.

Steve

G. Morgan

On Sat, 9 Oct 2004 21:09:37 -0500 "JerryMouse"
used 17 lines of text to write in newsgroup: alt.home.repair

Probably doesn't see much difference between Kerry and a Peckerwood.

*that's funny* :-)

-Graham

Remove the 'snails' from my email
Sterling

The woodpeckers like to "drum" on the siding to attract mates. Once they
find a house that makes a good sound, they are all over it. I have cedar
siding in front. Brick elsewhere. Was a terrific problem. No neighbors
with steel but everyone else has either brick or a harder wood.

I had a huge bradford pear that finally had to come down. Once it was
gone, so were the woodpeckers. See if you can find their nest.

Good luck! MinWax High Performance wood filler (2 part epoxy) works
really, really well.