Posted to alt.home.repair
Paul Franklin[_2_] Paul Franklin[_2_] is offline

Default woodpecker damage

On Mon, 27 Sep 2010 18:17:26 -0700 (PDT), "hr(bob) "
wrote:

On Sep 27, 8:05*pm, Paul Franklin
wrote:
On Mon, 27 Sep 2010 19:55:40 -0400, bpuharic wrote:
any way to stop the damn woodpeckers from chewing up the wood siding?
doesnt seem to be any bug damage....

*I've had good luck with tacking up several lengths of orange warning
barrier tape (like crime scene tape but bright orange). *You take
several lengths a foot or two long and staple one end up high so the
other ends flap around in the wind. One bundle per house side seems to
be enough.

Looks ugly, but it has worked for me. *I live in the woods and have
cedar siding, and before I started doing this, I would have 4 or 5
holes a year to fix.

Paul F.

Great idea, what's best place to get the tape, I don't have any crime
scenes around here that I know of.

Well, you could create a crime scene :-)

Round here the borg carries it in various colors, I guess for taping
off construction areas. I read somewhere that the color does matter
and that orange is most effective for woodpeckers.

As an aside, whenever I dig a trench for power or whatever, I bury a
length of the tape in the trench a ways above whatever I've buried to
act as an early warning to anyone digging in the area later.