Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert11

Default Woodpecker And Siding Damage: How To Prevent ?

Hi,

Live outside of Boston.

Have a woodpecker that is really doing a number on my wood house siding.
Incredible the amount of damage they can do, apparently.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to keep him away, or any other
thoughts on preventing this ?

Would be most appreciative.

Thanks,
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Elbrecht

"Robert11" wrote:
-snip-
Have a woodpecker that is really doing a number on my wood house siding.
Incredible the amount of damage they can do, apparently.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to keep him away, or any other
thoughts on preventing this ?

He/she is hungry, and is eating whatever *was* eating your house.
Find out what it was eating, [ants, termites, carpenter bees. . . .]
and help him exterminate them.

Once there is nothing eating your house, the woopecker will go try to
help someone else.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn

On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 13:01:23 -0400, "Robert11"
wrote:

Hi,

Live outside of Boston.

Have a woodpecker that is really doing a number on my wood house siding.
Incredible the amount of damage they can do, apparently.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to keep him away, or any other
thoughts on preventing this ?

Would be most appreciative.

Thanks,
Bob

Find him something louder to peck on.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Woodpecker on wood siding is probably seeking out insects. Woodpecker
on chimney cap is probably "drumming," a territorial marker. Pad
chimney cap in some way so it won't resonate or tough it out until
nesting has begun, at which point they are too busy (and too interested
in keeping young hidden) to keep marking territory.

Jo Ann

Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown

"Robert11" wrote in message
Hi,

Live outside of Boston.

Have a woodpecker that is really doing a number on my wood house siding.
Incredible the amount of damage they can do, apparently.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to keep him away, or any other
thoughts on preventing this ?

Would be most appreciative.

Thanks,
Bob

Beware, Woodpeckers are protected species everywhere in the US, you can't
harm him without a Fed SWAT team coming down hard on you.

Last week on one of the HGTV shows (or maybe it was somewhere else) they
featured a "scary spider" that was said to be one of the few effective
scarecrows for woodpeckers. It was a toy tarantula which would suddenly
rappel from a hidden space when it heard a loud noise then climb back up a
few minutes later.

Said to make a great Halloween spook toy too.

http://web.mac.com/jeffgyr/iWeb/welc...424FE6DF1.html