Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

Default steel doors - how much security?

Just got finished with my last mini-job repairing a steel door that had been
"kicked open". This is the third "steel" door I have repaired or replaced
in the last two years. All off these doors were the typical doorknob and
deadbolt combo door that you buy at the bigbox-type building supply
superstore that we see everywhere. The wood prehung frame for these doors
is incredibly weak -- very, very poor construction from a security
standpoint.

The next time you do a security audit for the protection of your family,
check the entry doors first. I recommend upgrading to steel doors with
*steel* frames. If you can't go this route, I would suggest steel
reinforcement for the cheap steel doors commonly available.

Just a thought. In this day and age........

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
Just got finished with my last mini-job repairing a steel door that had
been "kicked open". This is the third "steel" door I have repaired or
replaced in the last two years. All off these doors were the typical
doorknob and deadbolt combo door that you buy at the bigbox-type building
supply superstore that we see everywhere. The wood prehung frame for
these doors is incredibly weak -- very, very poor construction from a
security standpoint.

The next time you do a security audit for the protection of your family,
check the entry doors first. I recommend upgrading to steel doors with
*steel* frames. If you can't go this route, I would suggest steel
reinforcement for the cheap steel doors commonly available.

Just a thought. In this day and age........

Three times in two years? Maybe you should consider moving.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/25/2010 9:59 PM, wrote:
Just got finished with my last mini-job repairing a steel door that had been
"kicked open". This is the third "steel" door I have repaired or replaced
in the last two years. All off these doors were the typical doorknob and
deadbolt combo door that you buy at the bigbox-type building supply
superstore that we see everywhere. The wood prehung frame for these doors
is incredibly weak -- very, very poor construction from a security
standpoint.

The next time you do a security audit for the protection of your family,
check the entry doors first. I recommend upgrading to steel doors with
*steel* frames. If you can't go this route, I would suggest steel
reinforcement for the cheap steel doors commonly available.

Just a thought. In this day and age........

Well, yeah- at a minimum, put a steel plate behind the jamb where the
latches are, and run extra bigass screws through the jamb, plate and
shims into the studs. And make sure the deadbolt is long enough to
interface with the steel plate.

I've seen plenty of steel-skin doors forced just as you described over
the years.

If it is in a really crappy or private location, consider a metal
crowbar guard over the outside of the latch, and one of those rotating
sleeve things around the knob, to slow down the vise-grip and cheater
bar trick.

And even with metal frames- you need commercial-grade thick ones to make
much difference. The apartment I used to live in had front door opened
with a crow bar- the steel frame wasn't much thicker than a car fender,
and bent easily.

As always, a quality install job is a must. Even a super-solid door
won't do much good if it is installed by a hack, and not shimmed and
secured properly.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 25 Sep 2010 20:59:16 -0500, wrote:

Just got finished with my last mini-job repairing a steel door that had been
"kicked open". This is the third "steel" door I have repaired or replaced
in the last two years. All off these doors were the typical doorknob and
deadbolt combo door that you buy at the bigbox-type building supply
superstore that we see everywhere. The wood prehung frame for these doors
is incredibly weak -- very, very poor construction from a security
standpoint.

I think you mean a steel-clad door, right?

The next time you do a security audit for the protection of your family,
check the entry doors first. I recommend upgrading to steel doors with
*steel* frames. If you can't go this route, I would suggest steel
reinforcement for the cheap steel doors commonly available.

I had a neighbor with one of those, guaranteed, and someone kicked it
in. The door company gave her a new door, but she was quite
disappointed, she thought it would really protect her. And I think
she thought the company would pay more, for other losses, which they
didnt' pay for at all.

Just a thought. In this day and age........

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 25, 6:59*pm, wrote:
Just got finished with my last mini-job repairing a steel door that had been
"kicked open". *This is the third "steel" door I have repaired or replaced
in the last two years. *All off these doors were the typical doorknob and
deadbolt combo door that you buy at the bigbox-type building supply
superstore that we see everywhere. *The wood prehung frame for these doors
is incredibly weak -- very, very poor construction from a security
standpoint.

The next time you do a security audit for the protection of your family,
check the entry doors first. *I recommend upgrading to steel doors with
*steel* frames. *If you can't go this route, I would suggest steel
reinforcement for the cheap steel doors commonly available.

Just a thought. *In this day and age........

Did you know that the U.S. is almost the only country in the world
where steel perimeter doors and frames are NOT the residential
standard; in spite of the fact that crime is much lower in those
countries?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
Just got finished with my last mini-job repairing a steel door that had
been "kicked open". This is the third "steel" door I have repaired or
replaced in the last two years. All off these doors were the typical
doorknob and deadbolt combo door that you buy at the bigbox-type building
supply superstore that we see everywhere. The wood prehung frame for
these doors is incredibly weak -- very, very poor construction from a
security standpoint.

The next time you do a security audit for the protection of your family,
check the entry doors first. I recommend upgrading to steel doors with
*steel* frames. If you can't go this route, I would suggest steel
reinforcement for the cheap steel doors commonly available.

Just a thought. In this day and age........

You cannot protect yourself from a pro. A good lock man would be in there
within a minute with a $20 set of lock picks. A crackhead would be in there
in ten seconds with a rock through the window. It goes from there. It must
have been a really dumb bad guy, as he took almost the hardest way to get
in, namely kicking in the door.

I would have used the lock picks myself.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/26/2010 12:02 AM, Molly Brown wrote:
On Sep 25, 6:59 wrote:
[...]

In a lot of those countries, it isn't so much the CROOKS they are
worried about....

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 25, 10:37*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

There are some expensive locks that cannot be picked and although not
recommended for safety reasons with a double cylinder deadbolt lock
the door won’t open from the inside either.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 25, 9:59*pm, wrote:
Just got finished with my last mini-job repairing a steel door that had been
"kicked open". *This is the third "steel" door I have repaired or replaced
in the last two years. *All off these doors were the typical doorknob and
deadbolt combo door that you buy at the bigbox-type building supply
superstore that we see everywhere. *The wood prehung frame for these doors
is incredibly weak -- very, very poor construction from a security
standpoint.

The next time you do a security audit for the protection of your family,
check the entry doors first. *I recommend upgrading to steel doors with
*steel* frames. *If you can't go this route, I would suggest steel
reinforcement for the cheap steel doors commonly available.

Just a thought. *In this day and age........

ROFL...

Buy a real door... Not a metal clad door if you are having problems
with breaking and entering... "Wood" frame + "metal" door = metal
clad over some sort of filler, either cardboard, foam or wood core...

Get yourself a real heavy gauge hollow core steel rated door and
steel frame...

~~ Evan
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 26, 5:02*am, Molly Brown wrote:
On Sep 25, 6:59*pm, wrote:

[...]

I can see you don't travel much. That is NOT true.
In the most lawless countries, most of South America, parts of Asia,
the rich have very secure doors. They also have perimeter fences,
rabid dogs, electric fences, barbed wire etc. etc. The poor can't
afford them and have nothing to steal anyway. You can pick up some
real good security stuff quite cheap in South America. I have
Peruvian locks on my house. Best locks I ever saw for about $12
In countries with sharia law, you only need a curtain. They cut off
your hand for stealing. (Three strikes).
A real security door steel with five point locking is one hell of a
price. I have made my own in the past.
Here in the UK a determined thief will "ram raid" if they can get
access for a (stolen) vehicle or excavator.
http://uk.ask.com/web?q=ram+raiders+... =dir&siteid=

In Europe most doors are very similar to American ones.
You need to remember, they can always get in through the roof which in
America are extraordinarily flimsy.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 26, 6:37*am, "Steve B" wrote:

[...]

I see. Where did you get trained up in this particular skill?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 25, 6:59 *wrote:
[...]

aem sends...- Hide quoted text -

In the UK the crooks are in the gov..........
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

[...]

reply: I'm sorry you missed my post. I said that the OP should examine all
the avenues of entry, as the door would be the least attractive entry to
most thieves.

And the average person/business has crap for locks that can be picked with a
paper clip and a safety pin. Lots of times with just a sharpened hack saw
blade.

99.9999999% of the populace is not going to pay the big buck$ that
"unpickable" locks cost. And then if a thief encountered one of them, they
would just drive through.

Security is an all around thing, not only doorknobs.

Part of one of my jobs is security assessment at commercial and HOA
residential properties. 97% fail, and I can gain entry with a sharpened
hack saw blade, a lock pick, or many times the lock is just plain broken.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

[...]

Steve- Hide quoted text -

Getting in to a house through a window is one thing but trying to
carry out the loot from the same window because you can’t open the
front door is a another thing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 25 Sep 2010 20:59:16 -0500, no_name wrote:
The next time you do a security audit for the protection of your family,
check the entry doors first. I recommend upgrading to steel doors with
*steel* frames. If you can't go this route, I would suggest steel
reinforcement for the cheap steel doors commonly available.

and don't forget steel panels over your windows...

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

[...]

Most doors can be opened from the inside with no problem, and there may
be more than one door leading outside.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 25, 6:59 wrote:
[...]

Harry....Move to the USA. You will feel right at home.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Molly Brown" wrote

Getting in to a house through a window is one thing but trying to
carry out the loot from the same window because you can’t open the
front door is a another thing.

Yeah. A bag full of rings, watches, and jewelry would be pretty
unmanageable.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 26, 5:06*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
"Molly Brown" wrote

Getting in to a house through a window is one thing but trying to
carry out the loot from the same window because you can’t open the
front door is a another thing.

Yeah. *A bag full of rings, watches, and jewelry would be pretty
unmanageable.

Steve

plus the burglar opens the door from inside and happily carries out
the loot.....

no home is secure, the most you can do is make it very inconveient for
a brglar so the pick another house to rip off
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

no home is secure, the most you can do is make it very inconveient for
a brglar so the pick another house to rip off

I do have a safe for the guns and such. It is not very good,but should make
it difficult to carry off very fast.

Best thing to do is just have a good insurance policy and not worry.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 26 Sep 2010 14:23:18 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Sep 26, 5:06*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
"Molly Brown" wrote

Getting in to a house through a window is one thing but trying to
carry out the loot from the same window because you can’t open the
front door is a another thing.

Yeah. *A bag full of rings, watches, and jewelry would be pretty
unmanageable.

Steve

plus the burglar opens the door from inside and happily carries out
the loot.....

no home is secure, the most you can do is make it very inconveient for
a brglar so the pick another house to rip off

Yup- It is kind of like outrunning the bear-- You don't need to. . .
just outrun the other guy.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ralph Mowery" wrote in
m:

wrote in message
..
.

no home is secure, the most you can do is make it very inconveient for
a brglar so the pick another house to rip off

I do have a safe for the guns and such. It is not very good,but
should make it difficult to carry off very fast.

bolt it down to something solid.

Best thing to do is just have a good insurance policy and not worry.

Record your valuables serial numbers and keep pictures of them for
insurance purposes;they require PROOF you actually owned them for any
claim.

even with a steel door,the door FRAME is then the weak point.
But those can be reinforced.

Then you need a deadbolt lock that is "Bump key" proof.

then address the windows and patio doors.
Patio doors are a common point of entry. Doors to a garage,too.
Often thieves will break into a car,and use the remote to open the garage
door and then can force the inner door to the house at their leisure.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik