Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B[_10_] Steve B[_10_] is offline

Default steel doors - how much security?

"Molly Brown" wrote in message
On Sep 25, 10:37 pm, "Steve B" wrote:
wrote in message

Just got finished with my last mini-job repairing a steel door that had
been "kicked open". This is the third "steel" door I have repaired or
replaced in the last two years. All off these doors were the typical
doorknob and deadbolt combo door that you buy at the bigbox-type
building
supply superstore that we see everywhere. The wood prehung frame for
these doors is incredibly weak -- very, very poor construction from a
security standpoint.

The next time you do a security audit for the protection of your family,
check the entry doors first. I recommend upgrading to steel doors with
*steel* frames. If you can't go this route, I would suggest steel
reinforcement for the cheap steel doors commonly available.

Just a thought. In this day and age........

You cannot protect yourself from a pro. A good lock man would be in there
within a minute with a $20 set of lock picks. A crackhead would be in
there
in ten seconds with a rock through the window. It goes from there. It must
have been a really dumb bad guy, as he took almost the hardest way to get
in, namely kicking in the door.

I would have used the lock picks myself.

Steve

There are some expensive locks that cannot be picked and although not
recommended for safety reasons with a double cylinder deadbolt lock
the door won’t open from the inside either.

reply: I'm sorry you missed my post. I said that the OP should examine all
the avenues of entry, as the door would be the least attractive entry to
most thieves.

And the average person/business has crap for locks that can be picked with a
paper clip and a safety pin. Lots of times with just a sharpened hack saw
blade.

99.9999999% of the populace is not going to pay the big buck$ that
"unpickable" locks cost. And then if a thief encountered one of them, they
would just drive through.

Security is an all around thing, not only doorknobs.

Part of one of my jobs is security assessment at commercial and HOA
residential properties. 97% fail, and I can gain entry with a sharpened
hack saw blade, a lock pick, or many times the lock is just plain broken.

Steve