Posted to alt.home.repair
willshak willshak is offline

Default steel doors - how much security?

wrote the following:
Just got finished with my last mini-job repairing a steel door that had been
"kicked open". This is the third "steel" door I have repaired or replaced
in the last two years. All off these doors were the typical doorknob and
deadbolt combo door that you buy at the bigbox-type building supply
superstore that we see everywhere. The wood prehung frame for these doors
is incredibly weak -- very, very poor construction from a security
standpoint.

The next time you do a security audit for the protection of your family,
check the entry doors first. I recommend upgrading to steel doors with
*steel* frames. If you can't go this route, I would suggest steel
reinforcement for the cheap steel doors commonly available.

Just a thought. In this day and age........

You can put a bank vault door on the front of your house, but anyone
that wants to break in will find another entry point. Most burglaries do
not involve the front door anyway. Burglars prefer ground level windows
and doors which are out of sight of the street or neighbors..

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY