Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default OT?, what happens if you put 2-cycle oil in your lawnmower crankcase?

OT?, what happens if you put 2-cycle oil in your lawnmower crankcase?

A friend did this his push rotary mower, probably with a B&S engine.
I can't get a good answer how much.

http://oilstore.stores.yahoo.net/penaircool2c.html

It says nothing about viscosity.

Does he have to change the oil?

I thank you and my friend thanks you.
Posted to alt.home.repair

mm wrote:
OT?, what happens if you put 2-cycle oil in your lawnmower crankcase?

A friend did this his push rotary mower, probably with a B&S engine.
I can't get a good answer how much.

http://oilstore.stores.yahoo.net/penaircool2c.html

It says nothing about viscosity.

Does he have to change the oil?

I thank you and my friend thanks you.

Yes. Replace it with 30 weight.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Wed, 22 Sep 2010 00:56:20 -0500, wrote:

On Wed, 22 Sep 2010 01:00:14 -0400, mm
wrote:

OT?, what happens if you put 2-cycle oil in your lawnmower crankcase?

A friend did this his push rotary mower, probably with a B&S engine.
I can't get a good answer how much. It's hard to tell unless he
noted at the start how full the bottle was.

http://oilstore.stores.yahoo.net/penaircool2c.html

It says nothing about viscosity.

Does he have to change the oil?

I thank you and my friend thanks you.

It's not a good idea.

That is, it is a good idea. He should change the oil.

It might work, but might do damage. I would
not use the mower till it's changed. Its only ONE quart of oil and 10
minutes work. Just change it and be done with it. Save the stuff he
drains for oiling tools and stuff, since it should be pretty clean.

Okay, I'll tell him.

Unscrew or take out whatever covers the oil intake hole, tip the
lawnmower over to that side, and let it all pour in a pan big enough
to hold more than a quart. Or a pot if you don't have a pan like
that. It will start pouring when it's about 90 degrees, and you can
finish up with a pan. Do it on the grass in the backyard. Etc.

Thanks Jon and JW.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 22, 12:00*am, mm wrote:
OT?, what happens if you put 2-cycle oil in your lawnmower crankcase?

A friend did this his push rotary mower, probably with a B&S engine.
I can't get a good answer how much. *

http://oilstore.stores.yahoo.net/penaircool2c.html

It says nothing about viscosity.

Does he have to change the oil?

I thank you and my friend thanks you.

2 cycle is thinner , doesnt have viscosity additives, isnt designed
for the machine, I would change it but it wont kill it right away.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 22, 1:13*am, mm wrote:

Unscrew or take out whatever covers the oil intake hole, tip the
lawnmower over to that side, and let it all pour in a pan big enough
to hold more than a quart. *Or a pot if you don't have a pan like
that. *It will start pouring when it's about 90 degrees, and you can
finish up with a pan. *Do it on the grass in the backyard. * Etc.

Thanks Jon and JW.

Make sure gas is drained. "It will start pouring when it's about 90
degrees...", Does he have to wait til it's that hot?! *L*

Posted to alt.home.repair

Does he have to wait til it's that hot?! *L*

Thanks. I needed that!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 22, 5:49*am, wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Actually, there is a drain plug under the deck on most mowers. *It
gets out more gunk, and eliminates getting oil in the cylinder when a
mower is tipped on it's side (which can make it hard to start
afterwards due to oil on the spark plug).

Remove the sparkplug wire and get it away from the sparkplug or duct
tape it. *Raise the mower on a couple blocks with the front or rear
end slightly elevated. *Get the proper wrench and remove that plug
with a container under it. *Level the mower till the oil drains.
Replace plug, fill with oil, put spark plug wire back on plug.

That's it...- Hide quoted text -

No drain on newer Toros, I looked.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 22, 1:00*am, mm wrote:
OT?, what happens if you put 2-cycle oil in your lawnmower crankcase?

A friend did this his push rotary mower, probably with a B&S engine.
I can't get a good answer how much. *

http://oilstore.stores.yahoo.net/penaircool2c.html

It says nothing about viscosity.

Does he have to change the oil?

I thank you and my friend thanks you.

What happens is then you get to change it again and put the right pil
in, haha.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Should work just fine. Using two stroke oil in a crank case is a "work
around" for when motors burn oil. Less smoky, while the machine is
running.

However, being two cycle means that the four cycle only runs on two
cycles, and the power may be a bit lower. Cause it's losing two of the
cycles. The extra cycles get dropped on the lawn, and have to be put
back after each lawn mowing. They are easy enough to find.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"mm" wrote in message
OT?, what happens if you put 2-cycle oil in your lawnmower crankcase?

A friend did this his push rotary mower, probably with a B&S engine.
I can't get a good answer how much.

http://oilstore.stores.yahoo.net/penaircool2c.html

It says nothing about viscosity.

Does he have to change the oil?

I thank you and my friend thanks you.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Thanks Jon and JW.- Hide quoted text -

WTH!!? To drain the oil, take out the _DRAIN PLUG_. Also "it will
start pouring" as soon as the plug is removed even at below zero
temperatures.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 22 Sep 2010 09:50:59 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Should work just fine. Using two stroke oil in a crank case is a "work
around" for when motors burn oil. Less smoky, while the machine is
running.

However, being two cycle means that the four cycle only runs on two
cycles, and the power may be a bit lower. Cause it's losing two of the
cycles. The extra cycles get dropped on the lawn, and have to be put
back after each lawn mowing. They are easy enough to find.

One warning though. After you recover the two cycles from the lawn
make sure you don't put them in a two cycle engine thus converting it
to a four cycle engine. If that is done you'll have to put the two
cycle oil into the newly converted four cycle's crank case and I can
never seem to find the filler hole on a converted engine. Be careful.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Should work just fine. Using two stroke oil in a crank case is a "work
around" for when motors burn oil. Less smoky, while the machine is
running.

However, being two cycle means that the four cycle only runs on two
cycles, and the power may be a bit lower. Cause it's losing two of the
cycles. The extra cycles get dropped on the lawn, and have to be put
back after each lawn mowing. They are easy enough to find.

One warning though. After you recover the two cycles from the lawn
make sure you don't put them in a two cycle engine thus converting it
to a four cycle engine. If that is done you'll have to put the two
cycle oil into the newly converted four cycle's crank case and I can
never seem to find the filler hole on a converted engine. Be careful.

I just scoop up the two cycles when I mow with the grass catcher. I
throw them in the compost heap with the clippings.
I read that the two cycles in the heap will turn the heap over twice a
year so I don't have to do it manually.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 22, 11:09*am, Harry K wrote:
WTH!!? *To drain the oil, take out the _DRAIN PLUG_. *Also "it will
start pouring" as soon as the plug is removed even at below zero
temperatures.

1. A lot of cheap push mowers do NOT have drain plugs these days.

2. 90 degrees, as in ANGLE, not temperature, you dip****. GASOLINE
will start coming out the vent hole in the gas cap when the mower is
tipped up at a 90 degree angle.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 22, 8:10*am, wrote:
On Wed, 22 Sep 2010 04:02:54 -0700 (PDT), ransley

wrote:

No drain on newer Toros, I looked.

Really? *I suppose, just another way to save a buck and screw the end
user. *

I was ****ed when I tried to drain all my oil, no oil plug, the manual
says tip on side but I like getting out all the bottom junk. Its the
newer Toro power pace for about 350$
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 22, 9:38*am, wrote:
On Sep 22, 11:09*am, Harry K wrote:

WTH!!? *To drain the oil, take out the _DRAIN PLUG_. *Also "it will
start pouring" as soon as the plug is removed even at below zero
temperatures.

1. A lot of cheap push mowers do NOT have drain plugs these days.

2. 90 degrees, as in ANGLE, not temperature, you dip****. GASOLINE
will start coming out the vent hole in the gas cap when the mower is
tipped up at a 90 degree angle.

It's tough-in-cheek, moron! (ya notice the face after the Q?)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 22, 11:38*am, wrote:
On Sep 22, 11:09*am, Harry K wrote:

WTH!!? *To drain the oil, take out the _DRAIN PLUG_. *Also "it will
start pouring" as soon as the plug is removed even at below zero
temperatures.

1. A lot of cheap push mowers do NOT have drain plugs these days.

Some rather expensive mowers don't have drain plugs, either. My Honda
doesn't.

2. 90 degrees, as in ANGLE, not temperature, you dip****. GASOLINE
will start coming out the vent hole in the gas cap when the mower is
tipped up at a 90 degree angle.

Yes, and so will any gasoline. :-(
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

If you can run the motor to get it hot, drain the gas with a siphon,
and dump it over on the filler side...it is much easier.
Plastic drain plugs strip and metal ones seize. It is the only
practical way to do it. (And most businesses do it this way)
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob Villa wrote:
If you can run the motor to get it hot, drain the gas with a siphon,
and dump it over on the filler side...it is much easier.
Plastic drain plugs strip and metal ones seize. It is the only
practical way to do it. (And most businesses do it this way)

Do note that you will likely need to tip it back upright, then over again a few
times to get out all the oil. And, you get more out if you warm up the engine
first.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Harry K wrote:
...snipped...

WTH!!? To drain the oil, take out the _DRAIN PLUG_. Also "it will
start pouring" as soon as the plug is removed even at below zero
temperatures.

I believe he meant 90 degrees as in perpendicular, not temperature.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 23, 12:08*am, Harry K wrote:
On Sep 22, 11:24*am, keith wrote:

On Sep 22, 11:38*am, wrote:

On Sep 22, 11:09*am, Harry K wrote:

WTH!!? *To drain the oil, take out the _DRAIN PLUG_. *Also "it will
start pouring" as soon as the plug is removed even at below zero
temperatures.

1. A lot of cheap push mowers do NOT have drain plugs these days.

Some rather expensive mowers don't have drain plugs, either. *My Honda
doesn't.

2. 90 degrees, as in ANGLE, not temperature, you dip****. GASOLINE
will start coming out the vent hole in the gas cap when the mower is
tipped up at a 90 degree angle.

Yes, and so will any gasoline. *:-(

Having 4 honda engines now, I can assure you that each and every one
has a drain plug. *Even the newest only a bit over a year old and the
cheap Honda (GCV) at that. *They are on the side, not the bottom.

*I will do some research on the local dealers on cheap mowers as one
without a drain plug is too "out there" to accept without checking.

Harry K-

I can verify that not all Honda engines have drain plugs. Not on the
bottom, nor on the side. I have a small hand pump that pumps the oil
out thru the fill hole. Tipping on its side could hydro-lock it (oil
in the cylinder).

Hank

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 22, 1:02*pm, Bob Villa wrote:
On Sep 22, 9:38*am, wrote:

On Sep 22, 11:09*am, Harry K wrote:

WTH!!? *To drain the oil, take out the _DRAIN PLUG_. *Also "it will
start pouring" as soon as the plug is removed even at below zero
temperatures.

1. A lot of cheap push mowers do NOT have drain plugs these days.

2. 90 degrees, as in ANGLE, not temperature, you dip****. GASOLINE
will start coming out the vent hole in the gas cap when the mower is
tipped up at a 90 degree angle.

It's tough-in-cheek, moron! (ya notice the face after the Q?)

Of course, I meant "tongue-in-cheek".
Posted to alt.home.repair

How much oil do you think would pass the piston rings? (not much)
How easy is it to correct for oil in the cylinder? (Very easy)

I'd rather get a complete oil drain, and risk the oil in the cylinder.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Hank"
wrote in message

I can verify that not all Honda engines have drain plugs. Not on the
bottom, nor on the side. I have a small hand pump that pumps the oil
out thru the fill hole. Tipping on its side could hydro-lock it (oil
in the cylinder).

Hank

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 22, 11:08*pm, Harry K wrote:
On Sep 22, 11:24*am, keith wrote:

On Sep 22, 11:38*am, wrote:

On Sep 22, 11:09*am, Harry K wrote:

WTH!!? *To drain the oil, take out the _DRAIN PLUG_. *Also "it will
start pouring" as soon as the plug is removed even at below zero
temperatures.

1. A lot of cheap push mowers do NOT have drain plugs these days.

Some rather expensive mowers don't have drain plugs, either. *My Honda
doesn't.

2. 90 degrees, as in ANGLE, not temperature, you dip****. GASOLINE
will start coming out the vent hole in the gas cap when the mower is
tipped up at a 90 degree angle.

Yes, and so will any gasoline. *:-(

Having 4 honda engines now, I can assure you that each and every one
has a drain plug. *Even the newest only a bit over a year old and the
cheap Honda (GCV) at that. *They are on the side, not the bottom.

I can assure you that mine doesn't. The instructions say to tip it
over into a pan to drain the oil. I was very disappointed in Honda
for such crap in an $750 mower.

*I will do some research on the local dealers on cheap mowers as one
without a drain plug is too "out there" to accept without checking.

There are *many* tip-overs.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Wed, 22 Sep 2010 11:24:52 -0700 (PDT), keith
wrote:

On Sep 22, 11:38*am, wrote:
On Sep 22, 11:09*am, Harry K wrote:

WTH!!? *To drain the oil, take out the _DRAIN PLUG_. *Also "it will
start pouring" as soon as the plug is removed even at below zero
temperatures.

1. A lot of cheap push mowers do NOT have drain plugs these days.

Some rather expensive mowers don't have drain plugs, either. My Honda
doesn't.

2. 90 degrees, as in ANGLE, not temperature, you dip****. GASOLINE
will start coming out the vent hole in the gas cap when the mower is
tipped up at a 90 degree angle.

Yes, and so will any gasoline. :-(

I didn't tell him everything. I do that too often, spoon-feed
someone. He'll figure it out when the gas starts to pour out. (That's
why I said to do it on the grass, not the sidewalk, although I didnt'
actually think about the gas. )
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT?, what happens if you put 2-cycle oil in your lawnmowercran...

Take the gas cap off and cut a piece of cereal box for a gasket to plug
the gas cap ,dump oil. If you do spill some gas drop your joint on it,it
will burn off.

Jr.

http://community.webtv.net/awoodbutc...oodWorkingPage

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I scoop them up with a shovel and drop them down the post holes I
bought on e-bay.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:

[...]

Wow. It's been 45 years and I forgot that. (I never drained or
changed the oil sine I move here.

gets out more gunk, and eliminates getting oil in the cylinder when a
mower is tipped on it's side (which can make it hard to start
afterwards due to oil on the spark plug).

Remove the sparkplug wire and get it away from the sparkplug or duct
tape it. Raise the mower on a couple blocks with the front or rear
end slightly elevated. Get the proper wrench and remove that plug
with a container under it. Level the mower till the oil drains.
Replace plug, fill with oil, put spark plug wire back on plug.

Good points. Thanks.

P&M because it's been a couple days.

That's it...

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Wed, 22 Sep 2010 16:07:24 -0700, "Bob F"
wrote:

Bob Villa wrote:
If you can run the motor to get it hot, drain the gas with a siphon,
and dump it over on the filler side...it is much easier.
Plastic drain plugs strip and metal ones seize. It is the only
practical way to do it. (And most businesses do it this way)

Do note that you will likely need to tip it back upright, then over again a few
times to get out all the oil. And, you get more out if you warm up the engine
first.

Of course here the idea is to get rid of the bad oil, not to run the
engine with it, but otoh, I guess 10 minutes won't hurt.

0t3h, sludge in the bottom isn't what he's trying to get rid of, just
the stuff that was added a couple days ago. And the mower is only
about 3 years old, so it doesn't have much sludge, I think.

Thanks to you and everyone.

I will also remind him about taking off the spark plug wire, and
putting it far away from the plug. That's a safety issue, and some
people don't realize that the spark can jump a half inch or more when
one pulls the rope.

And when the blade is turned from the bottom, that's a lot like
pulling the rope. Maybe it can start the engine, and for sure the
compression can cause the blade to kick back. Removing the spark
plug eliminates the compression, but I don't know if I woudl do that
just to change the oil, which takes only a few minutes and one should
be able to avoid pushing the bladee or pulling the rope during that
time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 25, 7:23*pm, mm wrote:

Of course here the idea is to get rid of the bad oil, not to run the
engine with it, but otoh, I guess 10 minutes won't hurt.

I was speaking of general maintenance...not about the OP's question,
specifically.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Two cycle oil is often 30 weight. Many two cycle oils list the
viscosity on the label. Should run fine, even if left in there. The
advantage is that any oil that gets past the piston rings won't smoke
as much when it burns.

To get oil out of the cylinder. Remove the spark plug, and pull the
start cord (or turn the starter). The oil comes flying out the spark
plug hole.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus