Posted to alt.home.repair
John

Default Craftsman mower crankcase/oil sump cover bolt torques

Hello, all!

I have a Craftsman 6.75HP mower model 917.377690 with a Tecumseh engine on
it. The Craftsman (?) number for the engine is 143.006706. I had to replace
the mounting flange gasket because it finally failed and was causing the
engine oil to spray everywhere. Cleaned everything up, bought a new gasket,
and started to put everything back together. I "star-torqued" (torque it
until you see stars) the bolts that attach the oil sump to the crankcase,
and I snapped one off. So, my torque is a little excessive for this
application. Anyone know what the correct value is, or where I can access
it?

Thanks!

VR/

John

Posted to alt.home.repair
Carpenter

John wrote:
Hello, all!

I have a Craftsman 6.75HP mower model 917.377690 with a Tecumseh engine on
it. The Craftsman (?) number for the engine is 143.006706. I had to replace
the mounting flange gasket because it finally failed and was causing the
engine oil to spray everywhere. Cleaned everything up, bought a new gasket,
and started to put everything back together. I "star-torqued" (torque it
until you see stars) the bolts that attach the oil sump to the crankcase,
and I snapped one off. So, my torque is a little excessive for this
application.

yep.

Anyone know what the correct value is, or where I can access it?

Did you try being gentler on that wrench?

No idea what the torque is but the user manual should tell you. No
manual? If you're lucky the Tecumseh site has a pdf version.

No luck there? Then go to a local repair shop (preferably not during
busy hours), put on you best smile and ask them to look that up on
their books. Bring also the mower, just in case.

Good luck

PS: the above advice suggests actions that are accepted behavior in
the continental US. YMMV elsewhere.

Thanks!

VR/

John