Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default OT?, what happens if you put 2-cycle oil in your lawnmower crankcase?

On Wed, 22 Sep 2010 05:49:57 -0500, wrote:

On Wed, 22 Sep 2010 02:13:32 -0400, mm
wrote:

On Wed, 22 Sep 2010 00:56:20 -0500,
wrote:

On Wed, 22 Sep 2010 01:00:14 -0400, mm
wrote:

OT?, what happens if you put 2-cycle oil in your lawnmower crankcase?

A friend did this his push rotary mower, probably with a B&S engine.
I can't get a good answer how much. It's hard to tell unless he
noted at the start how full the bottle was.

http://oilstore.stores.yahoo.net/penaircool2c.html

It says nothing about viscosity.

Does he have to change the oil?

I thank you and my friend thanks you.

It's not a good idea.

That is, it is a good idea. He should change the oil.

It might work, but might do damage. I would
not use the mower till it's changed. Its only ONE quart of oil and 10
minutes work. Just change it and be done with it. Save the stuff he
drains for oiling tools and stuff, since it should be pretty clean.

Okay, I'll tell him.

Unscrew or take out whatever covers the oil intake hole, tip the
lawnmower over to that side, and let it all pour in a pan big enough
to hold more than a quart. Or a pot if you don't have a pan like
that. It will start pouring when it's about 90 degrees, and you can
finish up with a pan. Do it on the grass in the backyard. Etc.

Thanks Jon and JW.

Actually, there is a drain plug under the deck on most mowers. It

Wow. It's been 45 years and I forgot that. (I never drained or
changed the oil sine I move here.

gets out more gunk, and eliminates getting oil in the cylinder when a
mower is tipped on it's side (which can make it hard to start
afterwards due to oil on the spark plug).

Remove the sparkplug wire and get it away from the sparkplug or duct
tape it. Raise the mower on a couple blocks with the front or rear
end slightly elevated. Get the proper wrench and remove that plug
with a container under it. Level the mower till the oil drains.
Replace plug, fill with oil, put spark plug wire back on plug.

Good points. Thanks.

P&M because it's been a couple days.

That's it...