Posted to alt.home.repair
willshak willshak is offline

Default OT?, what happens if you put 2-cycle oil in your lawnmower crankcase?

Gordon Shumway wrote the following:
On Wed, 22 Sep 2010 09:50:59 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Should work just fine. Using two stroke oil in a crank case is a "work
around" for when motors burn oil. Less smoky, while the machine is
running.

However, being two cycle means that the four cycle only runs on two
cycles, and the power may be a bit lower. Cause it's losing two of the
cycles. The extra cycles get dropped on the lawn, and have to be put
back after each lawn mowing. They are easy enough to find.

One warning though. After you recover the two cycles from the lawn
make sure you don't put them in a two cycle engine thus converting it
to a four cycle engine. If that is done you'll have to put the two
cycle oil into the newly converted four cycle's crank case and I can
never seem to find the filler hole on a converted engine. Be careful.

I just scoop up the two cycles when I mow with the grass catcher. I
throw them in the compost heap with the clippings.
I read that the two cycles in the heap will turn the heap over twice a
year so I don't have to do it manually.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY