Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default OT?, what happens if you put 2-cycle oil in your lawnmower crankcase?

On Wed, 22 Sep 2010 16:07:24 -0700, "Bob F"
wrote:

Bob Villa wrote:
If you can run the motor to get it hot, drain the gas with a siphon,
and dump it over on the filler side...it is much easier.
Plastic drain plugs strip and metal ones seize. It is the only
practical way to do it. (And most businesses do it this way)

Do note that you will likely need to tip it back upright, then over again a few
times to get out all the oil. And, you get more out if you warm up the engine
first.

Of course here the idea is to get rid of the bad oil, not to run the
engine with it, but otoh, I guess 10 minutes won't hurt.

0t3h, sludge in the bottom isn't what he's trying to get rid of, just
the stuff that was added a couple days ago. And the mower is only
about 3 years old, so it doesn't have much sludge, I think.

Thanks to you and everyone.

I will also remind him about taking off the spark plug wire, and
putting it far away from the plug. That's a safety issue, and some
people don't realize that the spark can jump a half inch or more when
one pulls the rope.

And when the blade is turned from the bottom, that's a lot like
pulling the rope. Maybe it can start the engine, and for sure the
compression can cause the blade to kick back. Removing the spark
plug eliminates the compression, but I don't know if I woudl do that
just to change the oil, which takes only a few minutes and one should
be able to avoid pushing the bladee or pulling the rope during that
time.