Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Dewalt compressor - trouble today

Hi All,

I was on a roof today with a pneumatic nailer running on a ground-based
Dewalt compressor. After light-duty cycling on/off for three hours, the
compressor's work was finished.

I walk up to the compressor and the damn thing is covered in oil. Sheesh.
The oil dipstick was on the ground a few inches away from the oil check port
and it appears that the lubrication oil sprayed all over the compressor.
The oil well looks dry and the compressor head was hotter than normal. If
my compressor isn't burnt up, I'll have to find a way to wire the dip stick
in place. Unbelievable for a 4 year old, lightly used compressor.

Two questions:

1) A label on the machine says to use Dewalt D55000 synthetic oil. The
nearest Dewalt dealer is about 30 miles away. What brand/viscosity can I
substitute for this specialty grade stuff?

2) If this compressor is hosed, what name brand can I buy that gets the
simple engineering details right?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Sep 19, 5:22*pm, Andrew Ross wrote:

snip

1) A label on the machine says to use Dewalt D55000 synthetic oil. *The
nearest Dewalt dealer is about 30 miles away. *What brand/viscosity can I
substitute for this specialty grade stuff?

Call DeWalt customer service. If they stonewall you, any 30 W
synthetic should work.

2) If this compressor is hosed, what name brand can I buy that gets the
simple engineering details right?

Most anything air powered by Ingersol-Rand is decent quality. For
smaller portable compressors you will see a lot of Senco on job sites.
I've used a Hitachi 2 HP for the last three years or so. Still
chugging along with no hassles, but not in daily service either. Might
be wise to avoid box store brands, Campbell-Hausfield, Coleman and
such.

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 19, 11:22*pm, Andrew Ross wrote:
[...]

It sounds like a piston ring has broken, assuming it's a piston
compressor and it still runs without any strange noises..
This lets air into the crankcase so blowing out the dipstick. A
simple repair if you can get the part, If you know someone with a
lathe, they could make one.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

You need to find out why it threw out oil first, wiring the dipstick
is wrong, something broke and is causing oil to be pushed out and
likely ruined or seriously damaged the unit, if it didnt seize maybe
it has life left.

Air conditioner compressor trouble starting TonyK Home Repair 3 December 30th 06 02:56 AM
Dewalt Air Compressor TINY Woodworking 4 January 28th 06 10:56 PM
Any thoughts on the DeWalt D55155 compressor? DIYGUY Woodworking 3 April 21st 05 02:42 AM
Trouble repairing air compressor Jimmy Metalworking 6 November 24th 04 06:22 AM
Small compressor : DeWalt or Ingersoll Aaron Woodworking 6 March 8th 04 04:00 PM