Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Air conditioner compressor trouble starting

Just after any thoughts on this one.

I have an aging "box" type 2hp air conditioner that I'm planning to
replace
in a few months with a split system. It's about 20 years old so it's
seen
it's day.
If powered up cold it cools ok but when the thermostat cuts the
compressor
it fails to restart it several minutes later. You can hear a brief hum
accompanied by the fan slowing a little at it tries to start the
compressor.
It gives up and tries again at intervals without success. Might get
lucky
half an hour later though.
Reading here and there, the general concensus may be an AC capacitor
for
the compressor may be failing or even the compressor itself but bear in
mind
it runs fine from a cold start and continues to run just fine until
that
first thermostat cycle.

I had a thought of cutting off the temperature sensor sitting in front
of
the evaporator and measuring it's "hot day" resistance ( yes it's an
electronic temperature control) then selecting and replacing it with a
suitable fixed resistor. This theroretically will make the compressor
run
continuously but at least give us some cool time when we need it and
keep it
usable until we throw it out.

Any thoughts on my logic here ?

Regards,
Tony

Posted to alt.home.repair

TonyK wrote:

[...]

Hi,
Starting cap or centrifugal contacts inside motor?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
TonyK wrote:

[...]

You're thinking he has a belt drive compressor He should just try a hard
start kit.

Al

Posted to alt.home.repair

Typically, this is low electrical voltage. Clean the blades on
the plug (emery cloth) till they are bright. Consider having an
electrician replace the electrical socket. Have him (her) wrap
the wires around the screws, not back stab the outlet.

I've heard this symptom many, many times. It's generally bad
contacts on the plug, and resulting low voltage.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

oups.com...