Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Back-up sump pump battery

I have a four year old battery for the back-up sump pump. Instructions
say to change it every three years (yeah I noticed I was behind),
however, the lights on the pump itself indicate that the battery is
still in good shape. So, should I trust the lights or just replace the
battery?

and name it after the IRS.
Robert Bakker, paleontologist
Posted to alt.home.repair

Kurt Ullman wrote:
I have a four year old battery for the back-up sump pump. Instructions
say to change it every three years (yeah I noticed I was behind),
however, the lights on the pump itself indicate that the battery is
still in good shape. So, should I trust the lights or just replace the
battery?

You could re-route the output into the sump, and try a test cycle to see how it
does.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Kurt Ullman wrote:

I have a four year old battery for the back-up sump pump. Instructions
say to change it every three years (yeah I noticed I was behind),
however, the lights on the pump itself indicate that the battery is
still in good shape. So, should I trust the lights or just replace the
battery?

To quote Clint-
"You've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' "

Obviously it isn't someplace you trip over it every day-- not is it
the top priority in your life- or you would have asked the question
last year.

Murphy's law says that the day after you install wall to wall in the
basement the batteries will die. . . and the next day it will rain 6"
& your power will go out.

Chances are the battery you want is cheaper now than it was when you
bought the backup 4 years ago. You thought it was necessary &
worthwhile then. What changed?

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Jim Elbrecht wrote:

Chances are the battery you want is cheaper now than it was when you
bought the backup 4 years ago. You thought it was necessary &
worthwhile then. What changed?

It was original equipment battery, so I haven't had any experience with
the real need to change it before.

and name it after the IRS.
Robert Bakker, paleontologist
Posted to alt.home.repair

--
* I want to find a voracious, small-minded predator
and name it after the IRS.
Robert Bakker, paleontologist

It depends on the consequences of failure.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Sep 14, 9:29*am, Kurt Ullman wrote:
I have a four year old battery for the back-up sump pump. Instructions
say to change it every three years (yeah I noticed I was behind),
however, the lights on the pump itself indicate that the battery is
still in good shape. So, should I trust the lights or just replace the
battery?

--
* I want to find a voracious, small-minded predator
and name it after the IRS.
Robert Bakker, paleontologist

Batteries deteriorate over time by slowly losing capacity, especially
lead acid. Why do you think yours are any different? The amp-hour
capability will not be shown by a simple voltage sensitive lamp. If
you don't replace the battery pack, at least restructure your
household to minimize water damage from the inevitable system
failure.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm not one to follow directions exactly. If it were my sump. I'd
check the battery volts and amps. It's probably 12 volt sealed lead
acid. I'd research the price of the factory battery, and check the
price of similar replacements. And I'd seriously look at using a
marine trolling battery. A marine battery may be close in price, but a
lot more amp hours of storage.

Others have asked what's the possible damage, etc. Do you have an over
flow alarm? Are you home most of the time? Do you have backup sump for
when the primary breaks? One to plumb in and drop into the sump? Do
you have a generator for power cuts?

I'd want a newer battery for the sump, and that one might be used for
other things.

From bitter experience. A Harbor Freight "float charger" with the wall
wart plug and two clips. Will over charge a marine battery, until it's
out of water, damaged, and will never work again. This, I know from
having it happen to me. Your sump probably has a built in float
charger, which probably is fine for your use.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Kurt Ullman" wrote in message
m...
I have a four year old battery for the back-up sump pump. Instructions
say to change it every three years (yeah I noticed I was behind),
however, the lights on the pump itself indicate that the battery is
still in good shape. So, should I trust the lights or just replace the
battery?

and name it after the IRS.
Robert Bakker, paleontologist

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Stormin Mormon" wrote:

Others have asked what's the possible damage, etc. Do you have an over
flow alarm?

Nope.

Are you home most of the time?

Mostly, except for 2 two-week periods when we are on vacation.
Over night a few other times a year. Although there may be 2-3 weeks in
a row when we don't have a reason to go down to the basement.

Do you have backup sump for
when the primary breaks?

This IS the backup.

One to plumb in and drop into the sump?

Not sure what this means.

Do
you have a generator for power cuts?

Nope. But also no major power outages (over 2 hours) in the 21 years
we have lived here. (knock wood)

and name it after the IRS.
Robert Bakker, paleontologist
Posted to alt.home.repair

Kurt Ullman wrote:
I have a four year old battery for the back-up sump pump. Instructions
say to change it every three years (yeah I noticed I was behind),
however, the lights on the pump itself indicate that the battery is
still in good shape. So, should I trust the lights or just replace the
battery?

I would put a 50W lamp on the battery(disconnect the charger),
that will draw 4-5 amp.
and if that lamp stays bright for 4 hours, the battery is oke.
If less then an hour , the battery is kaput.
In between those, its your choice whether to replace.
The spare lamp from your car kit would do nicely, to test.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Kurt Ullman wrote:
I have a four year old battery for the back-up sump pump. Instructions
say to change it every three years (yeah I noticed I was behind),
however, the lights on the pump itself indicate that the battery is
still in good shape. So, should I trust the lights or just replace the
battery?

If you are on city water, there's also the possibility of getting a water
powered pump.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Kurt Ullman" wrote in message
m...
I have a four year old battery for the back-up sump pump. Instructions
say to change it every three years (yeah I noticed I was behind),
however, the lights on the pump itself indicate that the battery is
still in good shape. So, should I trust the lights or just replace the
battery?

and name it after the IRS.
Robert Bakker, paleontologist

I just paid $80 at Sears for a replacement Marine Deep Cycle battery for my
backup sump pump. Amortized over 4 years, that's $20 per year. I think you
can afford to replace your battery even if it isn't needed, at $20 per year.
Small price to pay for lower risk of basement water damage.

You get insurance even if you don't need/use it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Others have asked what's the possible damage, etc. Do you have an
over
flow alarm?

Nope.

CY: Good idea to.

Are you home most of the time?

Mostly, except for 2 two-week periods when we are on vacation.
Over night a few other times a year. Although there may be 2-3 weeks
in
a row when we don't have a reason to go down to the basement.

CY: Sounds like typical people in the world now days.

Do you have backup sump for
when the primary breaks?

This IS the backup.
CY: For sure. after my parents had water in the cellar a couple times,
Dad bought another sump, so he'd have one on hand for when this one
broke.

One to plumb in and drop into the sump?

Not sure what this means.

CY: Bad choice of words, maybe. A new sump in the box, that you can
install (yourself) any time day or night when the sump pump breaks.

Do
you have a generator for power cuts?

Nope. But also no major power outages (over 2 hours) in the 21
years
we have lived here. (knock wood)

CY: That's very good. I'd still want to replace that battery.

and name it after the IRS.
Robert Bakker, paleontologist

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bring a chair and a book to the cellar. Unplug the primary sump, see
how long the secondary keeps water out of the cellar.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Sjouke Burry"
wrote in message ...

I would put a 50W lamp on the battery(disconnect the charger),
that will draw 4-5 amp.
and if that lamp stays bright for 4 hours, the battery is oke.
If less then an hour , the battery is kaput.
In between those, its your choice whether to replace.
The spare lamp from your car kit would do nicely, to test.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Do you have backup sump for
when the primary breaks?

This IS the backup.
CY: For sure. after my parents had water in the cellar a couple times,
Dad bought another sump, so he'd have one on hand for when this one
broke.

One to plumb in and drop into the sump?

Not sure what this means.

CY: Bad choice of words, maybe. A new sump in the box, that you can
install (yourself) any time day or night when the sump pump breaks.

How big is the box for the sump?

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Stormin Mormon" wrote:

One to plumb in and drop into the sump?

Not sure what this means.

CY: Bad choice of words, maybe. A new sump in the box, that you can
install (yourself) any time day or night when the sump pump breaks.

I have a regular sump pump. The battery operated one is a second unit,
the back up.

CY: That's very good. I'd still want to replace that battery.

I probably will. Especially considering the other post of about $20 a
year

Thanks to all who answered.

and name it after the IRS.
Robert Bakker, paleontologist

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/14/2010 2:07 PM, Vic Smith wrote:
On Tue, 14 Sep 2010 13:00:03 -0400, Kurt
wrote:

In ,
"Stormin wrote:

Others have asked what's the possible damage, etc. Do you have an over
flow alarm?

Nope.

Are you home most of the time?

Mostly, except for 2 two-week periods when we are on vacation.
Over night a few other times a year. Although there may be 2-3 weeks in
a row when we don't have a reason to go down to the basement.

Do you have backup sump for
when the primary breaks?

This IS the backup.

One to plumb in and drop into the sump?

Not sure what this means.

Do
you have a generator for power cuts?

Nope. But also no major power outages (over 2 hours) in the 21 years
we have lived here. (knock wood)

Did that battery backup sump pump ever do you any good?
I've had water in my basement once in the 13 years here.
Power was out for a day. About 3"' of water in the basement.
In that case and maybe 4 or 5 other heavy rains where the power
*didn't* go out, a battery pump would have been a joke.
When it rains hard enough here to saturate the ground and fill the
storm sewers there's no way in the world a battery pump will do any
good. Both my sump pump (1/2 hp) and lift system pump (1/2 hp)
are running almost full-time.
A generator would keep the water out, but I won't go there.
I spent about 400 bucks for big lidded plastic containers for my wife
to keep all her crap in and get everything else off the floor if it
gets worrisome. They containers keep the dust off things too.

I guess there are basements where the battery pump might work,
but I never heard of a case where one actually kept water out of a
basement when it was time for the circumstances that actually flood
basements.
But maybe somebody here has a different idea about that.

Agreed. Battery back up sump pumps are a joke. Compare the ratings to
your 120VAC one.
Posted to alt.home.repair

responding to
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...ry-505247-.htm
Liz Watkers wrote:
I agree with the suggesting you go find a replacement. You've already
extended it's life by 25%. If you test the limitations too long, you're
going to have a wet basement and be kicking yourself for the decision to
squeeze more life out of it.

The plastic tub idea is great to keep your belongings dry, but what about
your washer/dryer? hot water heater? Water can also cause structural
damage and mold.

None of these issues are worth the couple hundred bucks you're inevitably
going to spend in the next year or two.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The Stucco site is not a help forum, it's an
*advertising* forum that invades real forums
(like "alt.home.repair", part of "usenet")
parasitically in order to generate free
advertising for itself, which continually
advances its search engine placement, thereby
increasing its own revenue through its click-
through advertising commissions.

So the first thing you should do is write them
an email and tell them to quit spamming.

Then try to find your way here through proper
channels. Please do a google search on "Usenet"
and post the regular way.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus