Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Battery for back-up sump pump

The calendar says it has been three years since I had the back-up
pump installed and thus, according to the instruction manual the battery
should be replaced. Is this automatic or can I do some test to see if
really needed.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 28, 7:59*am, Kurt Ullman wrote:
* *The calendar says it has been three years since I had the back-up
pump installed and thus, according to the instruction manual the battery
should be replaced. Is this automatic or can I do some test to see if
really needed.

Take it to a place that load tests them, auto store, car mechanic, its
usualy free. If it never operated it will be fine if the charger did
its job. Maybe the battery was bad 3 years ago, maybe it will be good
for 10 more. If voltage is is what it should be, around 13 then its
been maintained and might be ok. Low or high voltage kills batteries,
a crappy charger.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 28 Nov 2008 08:59:07 -0500, Kurt Ullman
wrote:

The calendar says it has been three years since I had the back-up
pump installed and thus, according to the instruction manual the battery
should be replaced. Is this automatic or can I do some test to see if
really needed.

Take it to a good auto electric place and havreit checked on the
transconductance tester or whatever they call it. If it fails, put in
an Optima YellowTop.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 28, 12:46*pm, buffalobill wrote:
On Nov 28, 8:59*am, Kurt Ullman wrote:

also look at water powered sump pumps.

A good idea. No battery powered pump is going to last long when it
is really needed, unless it has too small a capacity to keep up or has
a few grand worth of batteries.

It is very rare for the water supply to your home to go out, even
when the power is off. Yes, you can pump water with water.