Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Expansion Joint Question

The expansion joint where the driveway meets the front of the garage has
deteriorated. Both are over 35 years old.

My plan is to slightly grind down what is left of the joint then fill
it. My question is, what should I use to fill the joint? There are also
some gaps in the joint.

I live in Upstate N.Y. and would like to do this before the harsh
weather comes in. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob" wrote in message

The expansion joint where the driveway meets the front of the garage has
deteriorated. Both are over 35 years old.

My plan is to slightly grind down what is left of the joint then fill
it. My question is, what should I use to fill the joint? There are also
some gaps in the joint.

I live in Upstate N.Y. and would like to do this before the harsh
weather comes in. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Bob

Most people just use caulk. Concrete caulk. It is the approx color of
concrete and is fairly durable.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

Remove the existing expansion joint at least to half depth.
Abrade and clean the concrete edges. Install backer rod to
control caulk depth. Install Vulkem or SL1 polyurethane caulk.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DanG

"Bob" wrote in message

The expansion joint where the driveway meets the front of the
garage has
deteriorated. Both are over 35 years old.

My plan is to slightly grind down what is left of the joint then
fill
it. My question is, what should I use to fill the joint? There
are also
some gaps in the joint.

I live in Upstate N.Y. and would like to do this before the
harsh
weather comes in. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob" wrote in message

The expansion joint where the driveway meets the front of the
garage has
deteriorated. Both are over 35 years old.

My plan is to slightly grind down what is left of the joint then
fill
it. My question is, what should I use to fill the joint? There
are also
some gaps in the joint.

I live in Upstate N.Y. and would like to do this before the
harsh
weather comes in. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Bob

Ditto except I'd recommend Sikaflex Self-Leveling Sealant

http://www.sikaconstruction.com/con/...er-sealing.htm

cheers
Bob