DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Expansion Joint Question (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/309802-expansion-joint-question.html)

Bob[_6_] September 11th 10 07:49 PM

Expansion Joint Question

The expansion joint where the driveway meets the front of the garage has
deteriorated. Both are over 35 years old.

My plan is to slightly grind down what is left of the joint then fill
it. My question is, what should I use to fill the joint? There are also
some gaps in the joint.

I live in Upstate N.Y. and would like to do this before the harsh
weather comes in. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Bob

Colbyt September 11th 10 09:37 PM

Expansion Joint Question

"Bob" wrote in message

The expansion joint where the driveway meets the front of the garage has
deteriorated. Both are over 35 years old.

My plan is to slightly grind down what is left of the joint then fill
it. My question is, what should I use to fill the joint? There are also
some gaps in the joint.

I live in Upstate N.Y. and would like to do this before the harsh
weather comes in. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Bob

Most people just use caulk. Concrete caulk. It is the approx color of
concrete and is fairly durable.

Colbyt

Oren[_2_] September 11th 10 10:20 PM

Expansion Joint Question

On Sat, 11 Sep 2010 14:49:40 -0400, (Bob) wrote:

The expansion joint where the driveway meets the front of the garage has
deteriorated. Both are over 35 years old.

My plan is to slightly grind down what is left of the joint then fill
it. My question is, what should I use to fill the joint? There are also
some gaps in the joint.

Not sure why you would consider using a grinder? Can it be trimmed
down with a utility knife? A urethane caulk would certainly seal out
water, snow, etc.

I live in Upstate N.Y. and would like to do this before the harsh
weather comes in. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Bob

I lived in the Adirondack Mountains. Roads would freeze, crack and
heave in the seasons. The road crews closed the cracks with a liquid
tar type substance.

DanG September 12th 10 12:47 AM

Expansion Joint Question

Remove the existing expansion joint at least to half depth.
Abrade and clean the concrete edges. Install backer rod to
control caulk depth. Install Vulkem or SL1 polyurethane caulk.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DanG

DD_BobK September 12th 10 06:08 AM

Expansion Joint Question

"Bob" wrote in message

The expansion joint where the driveway meets the front of the
garage has
deteriorated. Both are over 35 years old.

My plan is to slightly grind down what is left of the joint then
fill
it. My question is, what should I use to fill the joint? There
are also
some gaps in the joint.

I live in Upstate N.Y. and would like to do this before the
harsh
weather comes in. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Bob

Ditto except I'd recommend Sikaflex Self-Leveling Sealant

http://www.sikaconstruction.com/con/...er-sealing.htm

cheers
Bob