Andrew Mawson

Default Expansion joint in brickwork

Shortly after the Christmas pud has settled down I'll be starting work on my
new garage. The flank wall is 'half brick' with pillars ie approx 100mm
thick. Due to its length (7 metre) it needs an expansion joint. I understand
that the conventional wisdom is to tie the two bit of wall together with
normal cavity wall ties 'along the length' of the wall, with one side
wrapped in a bit of dpc to let it slide.

But what is used as the 'spacer' between the two bit of 'end to end' wall?
(ok I know it needs sealing with a flexible mastic but what is the filling
in the sandwich ?)

Andrew Mawson

Peter Taylor

"Andrew Mawson" wrote in message
Shortly after the Christmas pud has settled down I'll be starting work on my
new garage. The flank wall is 'half brick' with pillars ie approx 100mm
thick. Due to its length (7 metre) it needs an expansion joint. I understand
that the conventional wisdom is to tie the two bit of wall together with
normal cavity wall ties 'along the length' of the wall, with one side
wrapped in a bit of dpc to let it slide.

But what is used as the 'spacer' between the two bit of 'end to end' wall?
(ok I know it needs sealing with a flexible mastic but what is the filling
in the sandwich ?)

Flexcell - it's a bitumen impregnated soft board.
http://www.sundeala.co.uk/flexcell.htm

nightjar

"Andrew Mawson" wrote in message
Shortly after the Christmas pud has settled down I'll be starting work on

my
new garage. The flank wall is 'half brick' with pillars ie approx 100mm
thick. Due to its length (7 metre) it needs an expansion joint. I

understand
that the conventional wisdom is to tie the two bit of wall together with
normal cavity wall ties 'along the length' of the wall, with one side
wrapped in a bit of dpc to let it slide.

My builders used a metal strip that screwed to the existing wall. That had a
matching piece, with protruding ties, that was built into the new wall.
Apparently, the two parts have some movement relative to each other, but
they still hold the walls together against gross movements.

Colin Bignell

Andrew Mawson

"nightjar .uk.com" nightjar@insert_my_surname_here wrote in message
. ..

"Andrew Mawson" wrote in message
Shortly after the Christmas pud has settled down I'll be starting work

on
my
new garage. The flank wall is 'half brick' with pillars ie approx 100mm
thick. Due to its length (7 metre) it needs an expansion joint. I

understand
that the conventional wisdom is to tie the two bit of wall together with
normal cavity wall ties 'along the length' of the wall, with one side
wrapped in a bit of dpc to let it slide.

My builders used a metal strip that screwed to the existing wall. That had

matching piece, with protruding ties, that was built into the new wall.
Apparently, the two parts have some movement relative to each other, but
they still hold the walls together against gross movements.

Colin Bignell

Colin thanks for your reply.

That is the wall starter tie kit that allows up and down movement yet holds
the new brickwork to an exisitng wall - I'm using those tying the new walls
to the house, but it's not quite the question that I asked !.

What I'm trying to find out is what is used as the spacer in lateral
expansion joints in long walls whilst they are being built. The two sections
of wall butt close together end to end, are prevented from moving sidewise
by normal wall ties fully bedded in a mortar joint on one wall section, but
wrapped in dpc in the other wall section to allow it to slide along the
length of the wall. Finally the joint is mastic filled to make it
weatherproof, but during building 'something' is used to ensure an 8mm gap
in the mortar.

Logically it has to be firm enough to keep the mortar out while setting the
bricks, but able to be squashed as the wall length changes with expansion.

If I cannot find what is 'proper' I intend to use slices of expanded
polystyrene.

Andrew Mawson

Peter Taylor

Andrew Mawson wrote

What I'm trying to find out is what is used as the spacer in lateral
expansion joints in long walls whilst they are being built. The two sections
of wall butt close together end to end, are prevented from moving sidewise
by normal wall ties fully bedded in a mortar joint on one wall section, but
wrapped in dpc in the other wall section to allow it to slide along the
length of the wall. Finally the joint is mastic filled to make it
weatherproof, but during building 'something' is used to ensure an 8mm gap
in the mortar.

Logically it has to be firm enough to keep the mortar out while setting the
bricks, but able to be squashed as the wall length changes with expansion.

If I cannot find what is 'proper' I intend to use slices of expanded
polystyrene.

Andrew - I've had several occasions lately when nobody has replied to messages.
I gave the answer to this question at 11.10pm last night and I can see it on my
machine, but I'm wondering if I'm the only one who can! ) Could somebody
confirm they can see it too please.

BTW - the answer is Flexcell - it's a bitumen-impregnated soft board
http://www.sundeala.co.uk/flexcell.htm

Peter

Will Dean

"Peter Taylor" wrote in message

Andrew - I've had several occasions lately when nobody has replied to

messages.
I gave the answer to this question at 11.10pm last night and I can see it

on my
machine, but I'm wondering if I'm the only one who can! ) Could

somebody
confirm they can see it too please.

I can (via Gradwell's news servers) see this and your previous message.

Cheers,

Will

Andrew Mawson

[...]

Peter,

Thanks for that link - just what I needed. No your original post doesn't
appear to have got to my news server (news.bt.com)

Andrew

Soup

Peter Taylor wrote:
Andrew Mawson wrote

[...]

Can see your original post dated/timed 23:10 18th Dec 2003 on
news-text.blueyonder.co.uk

--
Yours S.
addy not usable (not that you would try it)

Peter Taylor

[...]

Ah so - ziss ist werry interesting! Good old BT

Thanks to Will & Soup
Peter

Bob Minchin

Peter Taylor wrote:

[...]

3 of your postings in this thread are showing on NTL (text.news.ntlworld.com)

Bob