Soup

Default Expansion joint in brickwork

Peter Taylor wrote:
Andrew Mawson wrote

What I'm trying to find out is what is used as the spacer in lateral
expansion joints in long walls whilst they are being built. The two
sections of wall butt close together end to end, are prevented from
moving sidewise by normal wall ties fully bedded in a mortar joint
on one wall section, but wrapped in dpc in the other wall section to
allow it to slide along the length of the wall. Finally the joint is
mastic filled to make it weatherproof, but during building
'something' is used to ensure an 8mm gap in the mortar.

Logically it has to be firm enough to keep the mortar out while
setting the bricks, but able to be squashed as the wall length
changes with expansion.

If I cannot find what is 'proper' I intend to use slices of expanded
polystyrene.

Andrew - I've had several occasions lately when nobody has replied to
messages. I gave the answer to this question at 11.10pm last night
and I can see it on my machine, but I'm wondering if I'm the only one
who can! ) Could somebody confirm they can see it too please.

BTW - the answer is Flexcell - it's a bitumen-impregnated soft board
http://www.sundeala.co.uk/flexcell.htm

Peter

Can see your original post dated/timed 23:10 18th Dec 2003 on
news-text.blueyonder.co.uk

--
Yours S.
addy not usable (not that you would try it)