Rich

Default Joint Compound or Multifinish on taped joints?

Hello,

I am planning on jointing plasterboard with tape (paper) and using
multifinish instead of jointing compound.
I will then be skimming the whole lot with multifinish.

What i have read abount joint compound and taping usually results in
the surface just being sanded and painted. i.e. No skimming.

So i am assuming that multifinish would be ok.
It's just a pain in the ass to use two different types. With
mulitfinish i can just joint and skim in one batch.

I will use joint compound if someone tells me that i need to...

Regards,

Rich
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
(Rich) writes:
(Andrew Gabriel) wrote in message ...
In article ,
(Rich) writes:
Hello,

I am planning on jointing plasterboard with tape (paper) and using
multifinish instead of jointing compound.
I will then be skimming the whole lot with multifinish.

In that case, you should use scrim tape, not paper tape.
Scrim is netting tape which allows the plaster to pass
though and bond to the board under the tape.

The reason i wasn't using scrim tape is because there are a few 'gaps'
where the plasterboard meets on internal corners. I want to use the
tape to bridge the gaps and produce a clean edge.

In this case you should use bonding coat to force through the
gaps so it oozes through and out the back first. This will bond
the plasterboard together. Then use multifinish or plasterboard
finish with scrim over that.

I don't think there is a problem using paper tape in this way.

I think it will pull away from the board first time there's any
relative movement between the two (someone leans on the wall),
and of course the finish coat plaster will break as it will have
no strength against such movement.

Generally, when joining plasterboard I suggest that where the two
pieces are fixed to the same support along the edge, you butt-join
them. Where they are not fixed to the same support along the joining
edge, leave a 1/4" gap and force bonding coat right through to form
a snot or nib (depending which part of the country you live in) oozing
out the back and the gap filled. This will bond the plasterboard
edges together rather well. Then in either case, tape scrim across
the join and plaster over with a finish coat.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Rich

(Rich) writes:
[...]

I have been thinking (dangerous i know!) about paper tape.
Where is paper tape to be used if not to join two boards?

The problem i have is that there are a few gaps of about 10mm between
the boards; and the backgrounds vary from stud walling to dot & dabbed
to brick.

I am not sure if pushing bonding coat in will do much, except run down
the back of the board?

I will try a test patch on this as i can always cover it!

Regards,

Rich
Cycle

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message

Generally, when joining plasterboard I suggest that where the two
pieces are fixed to the same support along the edge, you butt-join
them. Where they are not fixed to the same support along the joining
edge, leave a 1/4" gap and force bonding coat right through to form
a snot or nib (depending which part of the country you live in) oozing
out the back and the gap filled. This will bond the plasterboard
edges together rather well. Then in either case, tape scrim across
the join and plaster over with a finish coat.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Andrew Gabriel,

do you know whether your bonding plaster/nib technique would be useful
for repairing persistent cracks in an existing ceiling (cracks that run
along the edges of the underlying plaster boards and at rightangles to
the joists)?

The plaster boards were originally close butted together. I was
wondering about opening up the width of the crack to around three
millimetres by using a Rotozip type of tool - the bit diameter is three
millimetres. Would forcing bonding plaster through this gap, followed by
scrim and reskimmimg of the ceiling be likely to make a good repair?