Posted to alt.security.alarms,alt.home.repair

Default First Alert FA-210 panel keeps beeping

Hi, I have a 10 year old First Alert FA-210 panel which shows LO BAT
off and on, but there is no zone number info. Sometimes the panel will
keep beeping until I press any key on the keypad to turn the beeping
off. According to the manual, it says it is due to low system power
condition. But I checked the AC power and it seems to be feeding the
correct voltage to the control box. Any clue?

Thanks
Dennis
Posted to alt.security.alarms,alt.home.repair

On Aug 25, 3:39*pm, Dennis wrote:
Hi, I have a 10 year old First Alert FA-210 panel which shows LO BAT
off and on, but there is no zone number info. Sometimes the panel will
keep beeping until I press any key on the keypad to turn the beeping
off. According to the manual, it says it is due to low system power
condition. But I checked the AC power and it seems to be feeding the
correct voltage to the control box. Any clue?

Thanks
Dennis

Sounds like the main battery usually a 12 volt 4 amp lead acid is
bad. you can get them from numerous places.
battery should be in main control box. normally 3-5 yr life.
Posted to alt.security.alarms,alt.home.repair

On Aug 25, 2:39*pm, Dennis wrote:
Hi, I have a 10 year old First Alert FA-210 panel which shows LO BAT
off and on, but there is no zone number info. Sometimes the panel will
keep beeping until I press any key on the keypad to turn the beeping
off. According to the manual, it says it is due to low system power
condition. But I checked the AC power and it seems to be feeding the
correct voltage to the control box. Any clue?

Thanks
Dennis

Good systems have backup batteries so a thief cant just disable the
power, or come by during a power outage, mine has a 12v lead acid
battery I can get at Ace, open the panel and see, and google for an
instruction manual.
Posted to alt.security.alarms,alt.home.repair

On Aug 25, 1:35*pm, ransley wrote:
On Aug 25, 2:39*pm, Dennis wrote:

Hi, I have a 10 year old First Alert FA-210 panel which shows LO BAT
off and on, but there is no zone number info. Sometimes the panel will
keep beeping until I press any key on the keypad to turn the beeping
off. According to the manual, it says it is due to low system power
condition. But I checked the AC power and it seems to be feeding the
correct voltage to the control box. Any clue?

Thanks
Dennis

Good systems have backup batteries so a thief cant just disable the
power, or come by during a power outage, mine has a 12v lead acid
battery I can get at Ace, open the panel and see, and google for an
instruction manual.

So does the board in the box run off the battery even when A/C power
is functional? I always thought the board is running off the A/C power
and the battery is used only when A/C power is disabled.

Thanks again for all your help
Posted to alt.security.alarms,alt.home.repair

On Aug 25, 2:39*pm, Dennis wrote:

[...]

By the way, I used a voltmeter to measure the voltage on the battery
and it seems OK. I measure the battery voltage with A/C power adapter
connected to the wall outlet.
Just wondering how the battery may be bad if the voltmeter indicates
an acceptable battery voltage at its leads.

Posted to alt.security.alarms,alt.home.repair

You may read ie 12V up on the battery but it cannot provide the apropriate
current (amperage) in order to keep the panel alive. You can test the
battery by placing on the leads a 12V/50W spot light (lamp) and keep it ther
for 1'. If the light is bright after 1' the battery is propably ok. This is
a simple test.

? ?????? ??? ??????

On Aug 25, 2:39 pm, Dennis wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.security.alarms,alt.home.repair

Dennis wrote:
Hi, I have a 10 year old First Alert FA-210 panel which shows LO BAT
off and on, but there is no zone number info. Sometimes the panel will
keep beeping until I press any key on the keypad to turn the beeping
off. According to the manual, it says it is due to low system power
condition. But I checked the AC power and it seems to be feeding the
correct voltage to the control box. Any clue?

Thanks
Dennis

I suspect bad capacitors in the supply section.
Replace them.
Posted to alt.security.alarms,alt.home.repair

On Aug 25, 2:39*pm, Dennis wrote:

[...]

Thanks again for all your help- Hide quoted text -

The battery is for no AC and the board is DC, the power to the panel
is DC from a wall wart, the panel keeps the battery charged.
Posted to alt.security.alarms,alt.home.repair

On Aug 25, 2:39*pm, Dennis wrote:

[...]

an acceptable battery voltage at its leads.- Hide quoted text -

Ok , what ok, 12.2 v is 25% charged, 12.8 is 100% for most set ups and
thats not connected.
Posted to alt.security.alarms,alt.home.repair

"Sjouke Burry" wrote in message
Dennis wrote:
Hi, I have a 10 year old First Alert FA-210 panel which shows LO BAT
off and on, but there is no zone number info. Sometimes the panel will
keep beeping until I press any key on the keypad to turn the beeping
off. According to the manual, it says it is due to low system power
condition. But I checked the AC power and it seems to be feeding the
correct voltage to the control box. Any clue?

Thanks
Dennis

There is so much humor in this thread............... Did anybody see it???

Les

Posted to alt.security.alarms,alt.home.repair

Dennis wrote:
Hi, I have a 10 year old First Alert FA-210 panel which shows LO BAT
off and on, but there is no zone number info. Sometimes the panel will
keep beeping until I press any key on the keypad to turn the beeping
off. According to the manual, it says it is due to low system power
condition. But I checked the AC power and it seems to be feeding the
correct voltage to the control box. Any clue?

Thanks
Dennis

C'mon guys...

Put a meter on the battery, disconnect the AC, monitor the battery for
one minute. At no time should the battery voltage drop below
(preferably get anywhere close to) 12 volts.

The panel periodically checks the battery. If you replace it, you may
have to wait quite a while before the LO Bat goes away.
Posted to alt.security.alarms,alt.home.repair

the indicator should be reading "lo brain" not lo batt.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"ABLE1" wrote in message

Dennis wrote:
Hi, I have a 10 year old First Alert FA-210 panel which shows LO
BAT
off and on, but there is no zone number info. Sometimes the panel
will
keep beeping until I press any key on the keypad to turn the
beeping
off. According to the manual, it says it is due to low system power
condition. But I checked the AC power and it seems to be feeding
the
correct voltage to the control box. Any clue?

Thanks
Dennis

There is so much humor in this thread............... Did anybody see
it???

Les

Posted to alt.security.alarms,alt.home.repair

Ah, Gmail. The sources of spam, and LO BRAIN.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"JoeRaisin" wrote in message

The panel periodically checks the battery. If you replace it, you may
have to wait quite a while before the LO Bat goes away.

Posted to alt.security.alarms,alt.home.repair
Jim Jim is offline

On Aug 25, 7:30*pm, Sjouke Burry
wrote:
Dennis wrote:
Hi, I have a 10 year old First Alert FA-210 panel which shows LO BAT
off and on, but there is no zone number info. Sometimes the panel will
keep beeping until I press any key on the keypad to turn the beeping
off. According to the manual, it says it is due to low system power
condition. But I checked the AC power and it seems to be feeding the
correct voltage to the control box. Any clue?

Thanks
Dennis

I suspect bad capacitors in the supply section.
Replace them.

Jeeeez !!!!!!!! There are no "bad capacitors" for cripes sake. Don't
confuse him any more than he already is.

Posted to alt.security.alarms,alt.home.repair

On Aug 25, 10:57*pm, Jim wrote:
On Aug 25, 7:30*pm, Sjouke Burry
wrote:

Dennis wrote:
Hi, I have a 10 year old First Alert FA-210 panel which shows LO BAT
off and on, but there is no zone number info. Sometimes the panel will
keep beeping until I press any key on the keypad to turn the beeping
off. According to the manual, it says it is due to low system power
condition. But I checked the AC power and it seems to be feeding the
correct voltage to the control box. Any clue?

Thanks
Dennis

I suspect bad capacitors in the supply section.
Replace them.

Jeeeez !!!!!!!! * There are no "bad capacitors" for cripes sake. Don't
confuse him any more than he already is.

In the old heavy relay panel days pre80's the battery was just stand
by duty no low battery indicator most panels.and 120 vac was taken to
box to a heavy wound transformer which could run several sirens.
When electronic boards came about the battery became integrated to the
board to provide the energy needed to run the sirens. and 120 runs to
a small wall transformer.
after changing battery it could take up to 24 hr till battery is
floated to proper voltage and panel sees it.
aprox 13.5 most panels.
Posted to alt.security.alarms,alt.home.repair
Jim Jim is offline

On Aug 25, 2:39*pm, Dennis wrote:

[...]

Dennis Dennis Dennis.

You're asking questions and making assumptions and getting answers by
the hunt and peck method and you're not going to solve your situation
without the full understanding of what you're dealing with.

The panel is powered from a plugin transformer that supplies the
board with somewhere around 12 to 18 volt AC. The board operates on 12
volts DC. The battery is being charged all the time but is actually in
the circuit full time. This is so that when you have a power failure,
there is no "switch over" time-lag where the panel may not have any
voltage for a brief second during a power failure or a brown out
situation. That is, the board always sees the battery voltage. So ....
even though the battery is called a "standby" battery, it's .... in
effect .... powering the board all the time. When you put in a new
battery, your standby time is at it's maximum and the time it will be
able to keep your system operating without AC power is determined by
the size/capacity/Ampere hour rating of the battery and the amount of
current your system needs to operate during an alarm condition. As the
battery gets older ( usual life expectancy is 3 to 5 years... but some
go for much longer) the standby time gets less and less. When the
battery gets down to a pre-ordained level of standby capability, you
will get an alert at your keypad that it's time to change the battery.
The system will still function with a "low" battery, it's just that
you will only have a very short standby time before the panel goes
dead.

The fact that you can put a meter on the battery terminals and read a
good voltage, while it's connected to the panel is because you're
reading the battery charge voltage being put out by the panel. The
fact that you can disconnect the battery from the panel and get a good
reading is because the meter doesn't put any load on the battery so
you're just reading the "surface charge" of the cells. If you were to
put your meter across the battery terminals while it's connected to
the board, pull out the plugin transformer and cause an alarm
condition with the siren blowing ( ie. put a load on the battery)
you'd see the meter drop to some reading below 12 volts DC. This is
what the panel is trying to tell you. That in an alarm condition,
you're not going to have enough power to blow the siren, send a signal
to central and keep your panel going for an length of time.

If you'd call in someone from an alarm company you'd be a lot better
off than trying to futz with something that you don't have a complete
understading about. This is security for your home and family. It's
serious. It's important. How would you feel if you did something to
the panel based on an "assumption" such as you've done with this
situation and your system didn't work because of what you did or
didn't do and your family suffered, were harmed or worse, or your home
burned down?

I mean, I don't mind helping someone out but the questions you're
asking and are confused about are very VERY basic and it's actually
scary to think of what else you might have done or might do to your
system. Like, do you know what kind of battery your system MUST have?
Alkaline? Ni Cad? Lead acid? Lithium? Do you know what could happen if
you put the wrong battery on your panel?

Posted to alt.security.alarms,alt.home.repair

It's the society we live in. You see capacitors grow up with no father
in the ohm. Single value capacitors are raising the kids. Which is far
less desirable than being raised by dual value capacitors. Sadly,
Herman moved out. Fanny is home, raising the kids. Millie Farad, and
Micro Farad are home. They fight like brothers and sisters, of course.
But without the male influence that Herm would have provided, the kids
watch a lot of TV. Fan has to go to work, to bring home the amp and
eggs the kids love so much. Herm is out discharging his wire wound,
with some loose connections that live in the neighborhood. Millie
Farad, having watched too much TV, is now dating a guy who drives a
Mega Cycle, and picks her up after school. Millie Farad has nearly no
resistance, so her boy friend discharges his electrons, with
frequency. Micro Farad isn't old enough to be interested in girls yet.
But he is building up a charge, and someday he will have the capacity
to discharge his lead, if he can find a girl with low resistance.

I'd write more, but that's about as much as I can do at one sitting.
Hope y'all enjoy it

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Jim" wrote in message

I suspect bad capacitors in the supply section.
Replace them.

Jeeeez !!!!!!!! There are no "bad capacitors" for cripes sake. Don't
confuse him any more than he already is.

Posted to alt.security.alarms,alt.home.repair

Jim wrote:
On Aug 25, 7:30 pm, Sjouke Burry
wrote:
Dennis wrote:
Hi, I have a 10 year old First Alert FA-210 panel which shows LO BAT
off and on, but there is no zone number info. Sometimes the panel will
keep beeping until I press any key on the keypad to turn the beeping
off. According to the manual, it says it is due to low system power
condition. But I checked the AC power and it seems to be feeding the
correct voltage to the control box. Any clue?
Thanks
Dennis

I suspect bad capacitors in the supply section.
Replace them.

Jeeeez !!!!!!!! There are no "bad capacitors" for cripes sake. Don't
confuse him any more than he already is.

They aren't "bad" capacitors - merely misunderstood...
Posted to alt.security.alarms,alt.home.repair
Jim Jim is offline

On Aug 26, 10:32*am, JoeRaisin wrote:

Jeeeez !!!!!!!! * There are no "bad capacitors" for cripes sake. Don't
confuse him any more than he already is.

They aren't "bad" capacitors - merely misunderstood...-

Well ..... yeah, I guess yer right.

What REALLY ticks me of though, are the ones that reverse polarity and
blow each others fuse.

Posted to alt.security.alarms,alt.home.repair
Jim Jim is offline

On Aug 26, 8:16*pm, George wrote:
..

The battery is an Ultratech UT1270 12V 7Ah. Yesterday I disconnected
the A/C power supply and let the battery drain. Today the battery is
totally drained. I plan to get a replacement battery, maybe a 12V 4Ah
one.

Why are you you reducing the battery capacity?-

Cheapatitus is a common malady among DIY'ers.
Posted to alt.security.alarms,alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" gurgled:

Ah, Gmail. The sources of spam, and LO BRAIN.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org

Ah, Teranews.com. The sources of top-posting religion-selling spam. (I use that
word 'religion' generously here), more like a cult.

And it's Google Groups, not Gmail, you dim-witted ****nut lunatic.

Posted to alt.security.alarms,alt.home.repair

On 8/26/2010 6:13 PM, wrote:
On Aug 25, 5:11 pm, wrote:
On Aug 25, 4:53 pm, wrote:

On Aug 25, 2:50 pm, wrote:

On Aug 25, 1:35 pm, wrote:

On Aug 25, 2:39 pm, wrote:

[...]

That's a good idea! Replace the original battery with one that is
cheaper and rated lower. It's not like it's for anything important like
an alarm. Oh, no wait............
Posted to alt.security.alarms,alt.home.repair

On Aug 30, 1:01*pm, Tony wrote:
On 8/26/2010 6:13 PM, wrote:

On Aug 25, 5:11 pm, *wrote:
On Aug 25, 4:53 pm, *wrote:

On Aug 25, 2:50 pm, *wrote:

On Aug 25, 1:35 pm, *wrote:

On Aug 25, 2:39 pm, *wrote:

[...]

It'll be fine for a 24 hour backup with what he's got

ALERT! sawzdust off his medication ALERT! Ritalin Escape Corp Woodworking 13 June 8th 08 03:06 AM
Beeping Bosch Skipweasel UK diy 14 November 15th 07 08:11 PM
Beeping from attic Chris Home Repair 15 October 27th 07 03:45 AM
GE Gas range keeps beeping yaofeng Home Repair 0 August 16th 06 03:03 PM
Beeping from attic Chris Home Ownership 6 July 25th 06 09:37 PM