Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Do It Yourself -- Not

On Sep 1, 1:19*pm, The Daring Dufas
wrote:
On 9/1/2010 12:42 AM, harry wrote:

On Sep 1, 5:58 am, The Daring
wrote:
On 8/31/2010 9:56 AM, Jules Richardson wrote:

On Sun, 29 Aug 2010 04:58:07 -0700, harry wrote:
But you waste most of your energy through primitive technology.

I see you're still full of **** today, harry.- Hide quoted text -

Heh Heh. Tell about some front line American technolgy then.

To be honest I'd rather it be simple so that I can maintain it myself,
make new parts for it if I have to etc. - and keep it running pretty much
forever, rather than "forcing" some factory to provide me with some new
plastic-fantastic piece of junk.

cheers

Jules

Like an automobile? Computerizing automobiles has been both a bane and
a blessing. If the computer completely dies, you're dead in the water
but a partial failure can put the engine into "limp home" mode and still
get you there. My older cars could be kept running with bailing
wire and duct tape and would be the transportation to have if the
country were to collapse and fancy new parts were unavailable. Think
"Road Warrior". 8-)

TDD- Hide quoted text -

But if you had them now could you afford to put petrol in them?

You can run them on wood gas or alcohol. Hillbillies and country
boys can survive and adapt. Never discount the ingenuity of the
Redneck. 8-)

TDD- Hide quoted text -

Yes you can, But not by hillbillys. They're hillbillys for a reason.
It was done here in WW2
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 1, 5:58*am, The Daring Dufas
wrote:
[...]

i have built cars up from scratch. But these thingd you have nowadays,
I wouldn't have a clue apart from the very obvious.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/1/2010 4:31 PM, harry wrote:

wrote:
[...]

Yep, the Hillbillies were too busy making moonshine.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/1/2010 4:33 PM, harry wrote:
On Sep 1, 5:58 am, The Daring
wrote:
[...]

The kids building hot rods and street racers today are tech savvy and
are doing some incredible things with their rides.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 2, 1:33*am, wrote:
On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 23:53:43 -0700 (PDT), harry
wrote:

On Aug 30, 3:43*pm, wrote:
On Sun, 29 Aug 2010 23:22:16 -0700 (PDT), harry
wrote:

On Aug 30, 5:08*am, wrote:
On Sun, 29 Aug 2010 09:42:41 -0700 (PDT), harry
wrote:

Heh Heh. Tell about some front line American technolgy then.

You are typing on it.- Hide quoted text -

Sorry old son. A Brit invention from WW2.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colossus_computer
Try again.

The Americans got that 20 ton vacuum tube maintenance nightmare out of
a big air conditioned room and into your pocket. (the microchip being
the technology I was talking about).

If you want to go back 60 years, I would just go back 40 and point out
who went to the moon.

*Oh, that was your captive Nazi war criminal von Braun. *Things seem
to have gone backwards since he died *I notice.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Werner_von_Braun
Before we get to how John Wayne won WW2, that was the Russians if
anybody.
Americans have always been good at buying/stealing our technology and
making money.

Still ****ed about how the revolution came out huh?
Get over it.
Without the Americans, you would be speaking German right now ... or
Russian. If you noticed, the Soviets kept everything they took from
the Germans- Hide quoted text -

America only came into the war when the Germans declared war on the
USA after the Japanese attack on Pearl harbour. You didn't come
running to help us. *You came running for help from us. *Once again,
learn your history.
I don't know why you come up with all this crap when it's so easy to
check things out on the internet. *Did you never go to school? You
seem exceptionally uneducated even for an American.

Lend Lease?- Hide quoted text -

Don't get confused now. We paid for all weapons purchased at a rate
of interest. In fact, not long since paid off the debt.

I don't know where you blasted Yanks get the idea from that you gave
us anything. All complete Hollywood ********.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/6215847.stm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 2, 6:06*am, The Daring Dufas
wrote:
On 9/1/2010 4:33 PM, harry wrote:

On Sep 1, 5:58 am, The Daring
wrote:
[...]

Up to date pix?

When we're all driving electric cars there won't be much scope. ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/2/2010 1:11 AM, harry wrote:
On Sep 2, 6:06 am, The Daring
wrote:
On 9/1/2010 4:33 PM, harry wrote:

On Sep 1, 5:58 am, The Daring
wrote:
[...]

They will find a way to soup up/hot up their electric rides too. 8-)

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair
dgk dgk is offline

wrote:

[...]

One of the reasons that Russia became a mess was that 20 million of
their men died fighting the fascists. Of course, a certain amount of
that was because Stalin killed all the able generals but still, that
is an entire lost generation.

Now, as our corporations take over our government and we have a
budding brownshirt movement in the tea party, I suspect that we are
going to be the next fascist power.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Ummm, Tea Party = Brownshirts? I do believe it was your Lord and
Savior, BeeHO who wants a civilian government organization that's
just as big and powerful as the military. I can only guess what
the purpose of such an organization would be?

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair
dgk dgk is offline

wrote:

[...]

I have no idea what you're talking about. The tea party is paid for by
corporate money, from the Koch brothers on down, organized by Dick
Armey and other ultra-rightists.

Actually, BHO is doing a fairly decent job using mostly Republican
ideas, such as the health plan that now no Republican will admit
knowing anything about. I wish he'd try a few Liberal ideas but that
would put him up against corporate power and he wouldn't survive that.
Literally.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 02 Sep 2010 00:06:48 -0500, The Daring Dufas wrote:
On 9/1/2010 4:33 PM, harry wrote:
i have built cars up from scratch. But these thingd you have nowadays,
I wouldn't have a clue apart from the very obvious.

The kids building hot rods and street racers today are tech savvy and
are doing some incredible things with their rides.

Always been curious about that - I'd had the impression that most of them
bought parts from catalogs that were designed for their vehicle (i.e.
while there's certainly fitting work involved, they're not really
innovating but just doing whatever they can within their budgets). That's
possibly an incorrect view! :-)

cheers

Jules
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/1/2010 4:33 PM, harry wrote:
i have built cars up from scratch. But these thingd you have nowadays,
I wouldn't have a clue apart from the very obvious.

The kids building hot rods and street racers today are tech savvy and
are doing some incredible things with their rides.

Always been curious about that - I'd had the impression that most of them
bought parts from catalogs that were designed for their vehicle (i.e.
while there's certainly fitting work involved, they're not really
innovating but just doing whatever they can within their budgets). That's
possibly an incorrect view! :-)

cheers

Jules

You mean like the modern armature radio operator? 8-)

TDD