Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Painting-Cutting in a ceiling

Has anyone used a pad type paint edger to cut in a ceiling ?
Does it work or just put paint on the ceiling while edging the walls ?

--
Dell Inspiron
Pentium dual-core 2.2 GHz

Posted to alt.home.repair

desgnr wrote:
Has anyone used a pad type paint edger to cut in a ceiling ?
Does it work or just put paint on the ceiling while edging the walls ?

If you're talking about the kind with rollers, it works and works well.

Had there been such a device when I was younger, I would have become a
painter instead of going to law school.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/24/2010 7:50 AM, desgnr wrote:
Has anyone used a pad type paint edger to cut in a ceiling ?
Does it work or just put paint on the ceiling while edging the walls ?

I've never had any luck with those gimmick edgers. A good purdy brush
and practice is really the only way to go.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 24 Aug 2010 10:19:28 -0500, Steve Barker
wrote:

On 8/24/2010 7:50 AM, desgnr wrote:
Has anyone used a pad type paint edger to cut in a ceiling ?
Does it work or just put paint on the ceiling while edging the walls ?

I've never had any luck with those gimmick edgers. A good purdy brush
and practice is really the only way to go.

And he doesn't mean a 'purdy good' brush. g I have a 2" angled
sash brush that I've been cutting windows, trim, ceilings, etc in for
25+ years. I nearly killed a guy once who thought he was showing
me how to 'clean it better' and bent a few bristles.

I think I paid $25 for mine-- I see the borgs carry them for 1/2 that
today.

My eyes are bad & my hand isn't as steady as it was when I bought that
brush-- but I can cut a pretty good edge-- and if I waver, I wait til
it is dry and try again on the other side.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 8/24/2010 7:50 AM, desgnr wrote:
Has anyone used a pad type paint edger to cut in a ceiling ?
Does it work or just put paint on the ceiling while edging the walls ?

I've never had any luck with those gimmick edgers. A good purdy brush
and practice is really the only way to go.

And he doesn't mean a 'purdy good' brush. g I have a 2" angled
sash brush that I've been cutting windows, trim, ceilings, etc in for
25+ years. I nearly killed a guy once who thought he was showing
me how to 'clean it better' and bent a few bristles.

How do you clean it if you don't bend bristles?

I think I paid $25 for mine-- I see the borgs carry them for 1/2 that
today.

My eyes are bad & my hand isn't as steady as it was when I bought that
brush-- but I can cut a pretty good edge-- and if I waver, I wait til
it is dry and try again on the other side.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 24 Aug 2010 08:00:52 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

desgnr wrote:
Has anyone used a pad type paint edger to cut in a ceiling ?
Does it work or just put paint on the ceiling while edging the walls ?

If you're talking about the kind with rollers, it works and works well.

Tricks about the rollers: Don't over-load paint on the pad. If the
rollers get paint on them, use a damp painter's cloth to wipe them
off. Check the rollers each time for paint, before applying the pad to
the wall.

Had there been such a device when I was younger, I would have become a
painter instead of going to law school.

Near identical comment from a friend, except he is not a lawyer.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 24, 12:57*pm, "
wrote:
Jim Elbrecht wrote:
" wrote:

Jim Elbrecht wrote:

And he doesn't mean a 'purdy good' brush. *g * *I have a 2" angled
sash brush that I've been cutting windows, trim, ceilings, etc in for
25+ years. * * *I nearly killed a guy once who thought he was showing
me how to 'clean it better' and bent a few bristles.
How do you clean it if you don't bend bristles?

Hehe-- ok, I bend them-- I don't break them. * * * *

Jim

I bend mine a lot to get all the paint out of the ferrule that I can.
Always wash, rinse with hot water to shape bristles and dry while brush
in hanging up.

"...and dry while brush is hanging up..."

....and in the original cardboard wrapper.

That really keeps the brush in pristine "shape".

I have a set of Purdy (and similar quality) brushes that no one but me
gets to use and I have a set of cheaper brushes for the wife and
offspring.

If they don't know how to clean a brush after using it, then they'll
just have to live with the crappy paint job they'll get from the
cheaper brushes.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
On Aug 24, 12:57 pm, "
I have a set of Purdy (and similar quality) brushes that no one but me
gets to use and I have a set of cheaper brushes for the wife and
offspring.

If they don't know how to clean a brush after using it, then they'll
just have to live with the crappy paint job they'll get from the
cheaper brushes.
-----------

Amen!

Almost got a divorce the day I came home and found one of my good brushes
laying on the rim of a primer bucket.

That act has never been repeated. It was sorta quiet around the house for
several day.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

"desgnr" wrote in message
Has anyone used a pad type paint edger to cut in a ceiling ?
Does it work or just put paint on the ceiling while edging the walls ?

Paint the ceiling first and get some right into the corner where it meets
the wall.

Now when you do the wall, take a good 2" sash brush and cut in the ceiling.
Put paint on the brush. Put the brush against the wall just below the
ceiling edge. Now you draw the brush across and up to the edge making a
line about 12" to 15" long. Repeat across the ceiling perimeter.

Once you've done it a few times, it is easy and fast. The slight
imperfections you may see close up will be invisible from the floor.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Colbyt" wrote:

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
On Aug 24, 12:57 pm, "
I have a set of Purdy (and similar quality) brushes that no one but me
gets to use and I have a set of cheaper brushes for the wife and
offspring.

If they don't know how to clean a brush after using it, then they'll
just have to live with the crappy paint job they'll get from the
cheaper brushes.
-----------

Amen!

Almost got a divorce the day I came home and found one of my good brushes
laying on the rim of a primer bucket.

That act has never been repeated. It was sorta quiet around the house for
several day.

Colbyt

I'd be happy to spend $25 on a good brush and throw the thing in the
trash after one use if I thought it'd make me a painter. I'm staring
down two rooms that know I can't make good on my threat to paint them.

painting a ceiling alecgreen UK diy 17 February 19th 09 11:27 AM
painting ceiling steve UK diy 4 October 10th 06 09:26 PM
painting a map onto a ceiling [email protected] Home Ownership 7 June 10th 05 04:53 AM
painting up to ceiling chris UK diy 16 December 16th 03 09:25 AM
Painting of ceiling... Marcus Fox UK diy 2 November 7th 03 07:15 PM