Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Stucco Refinishing

I am turning a porch that was originally part of the outside wall of the
house, into an interior room. I want to make the two walls that are now
stucco, look smoother. Does not have to be drywall smooth, maybe kind of a
venetian plaster look. Any ideas how I would do this?

Thanks,

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 22, 11:01*pm, "ROANIN" wrote:
I am turning a porch that was originally part of the outside wall of the
house, into an interior room. I want to make the two walls that are now
stucco, look smoother. Does not have to be drywall smooth, maybe kind of a
venetian plaster look. Any ideas how I would do this?

Thanks,

Since you are going to have to open up parts of the wall to make
your room legal as far as electrical code dictates, you may as
well just sheetrock over the wall when you are done adding the
proper number of electrical receptacles for your new interior room...

~~ Evan
Posted to alt.home.repair

Evan wrote:
On Aug 22, 11:01 pm, "ROANIN" wrote:
I am turning a porch that was originally part of the outside wall of
the house, into an interior room. I want to make the two walls that
are now stucco, look smoother. Does not have to be drywall smooth,
maybe kind of a venetian plaster look. Any ideas how I would do this?

Thanks,

Since you are going to have to open up parts of the wall to make
your room legal as far as electrical code dictates, you may as
well just sheetrock over the wall when you are done adding the
proper number of electrical receptacles for your new interior room...

~~ Evan

The whole point of my question is to NOT have to sheetrock over the stucco
walls. The walls in question already have the proper electrical outlets on
them and the new walls are going to have sheetrock over them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 22 Aug 2010 23:01:17 -0400, "ROANIN"
wrote:

I am turning a porch that was originally part of the outside wall of the
house, into an interior room. I want to make the two walls that are now
stucco, look smoother. Does not have to be drywall smooth, maybe kind of a
venetian plaster look. Any ideas how I would do this?

Thanks,

Several skim coats of stucco mix, applied over a few days would make
the two walls smooth.

I can't speak, if the walls are painted or how the skim coats would
stick on painted stucco.

Are the exterior walls a heavy knock down texture?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I am turning a porch that was originally part of the outside wall of
the house, into an interior room. I want to make the two walls that
are now stucco, look smoother. Does not have to be drywall smooth,
maybe kind of a venetian plaster look. Any ideas how I would do this?

Thanks,

Several skim coats of stucco mix, applied over a few days would make
the two walls smooth.

I can't speak, if the walls are painted or how the skim coats would
stick on painted stucco.

Are the exterior walls a heavy knock down texture?

It appears that they have been painted one time and the are very rough
stucco. The mechanical bond will probably be fine I would think. I did not
know if you could use the stucco mix to smooth the walls out to the height
of the bumps on it now or slightly higher so it would kind of look like
plaster once painted. I really do not want to tear them down and sheet rock
it .

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I am turning a porch that was originally part of the outside wall of
the house, into an interior room. I want to make the two walls that
are now stucco, look smoother. Does not have to be drywall smooth,
maybe kind of a venetian plaster look. Any ideas how I would do this?

Thanks,

Several skim coats of stucco mix, applied over a few days would make
the two walls smooth.

I can't speak, if the walls are painted or how the skim coats would
stick on painted stucco.

Are the exterior walls a heavy knock down texture?

It appears that they have been painted one time and the are very rough
stucco. The mechanical bond will probably be fine I would think.

Plaster weld (or whatever is available in your area) wouldn't hurt.
http://www.larsenproducts.com/bonding.htm

I can't see the texture from my house, but if it isn't too heavy, you
could use Durabond (or whatever setting type joint compound is
available) to fill it out.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Uno Uno is offline

wrote:

I am turning a porch that was originally part of the outside wall of the
house, into an interior room. I want to make the two walls that are now
stucco, look smoother. Does not have to be drywall smooth, maybe kind of a
venetian plaster look. Any ideas how I would do this?

Thanks,

Several skim coats of stucco mix, applied over a few days would make
the two walls smooth.

I can't speak, if the walls are painted or how the skim coats would
stick on painted stucco.

Are the exterior walls a heavy knock down texture?

Oren,

Is there such a thing as a layers of stucco that are too thin? I plan
on skimming with about a quarter inch on the exterior.
--
Uno
Posted to alt.home.repair

1. One or more buckets of drywall taping compound (drying type, not
setting)
2. Trowel

3. Trowel it on, try to keep as smooth as possible.

4. When it is dry (next day or longer) take a large, damp sponge and
start wiping. As you wipe, the compound will be removed from high
spots and deposited in low ones. If it looks good after it dries,
prime and paint; if not, go back to #3.

What I have read is that the gypsum based material is very sensitive to
moisture and that you need an air space between like a lath. However, that
being said, just how much moisture are they talking about. Being the wall is
inside are they talking about real humid days, or direct contact with a
substantial amount of water. The drywall compound would be the easiest to
do, but will it last.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I am turning a porch that was originally part of the outside wall of the
house, into an interior room. I want to make the two walls that are now
stucco, look smoother. Does not have to be drywall smooth, maybe kind of a
venetian plaster look. Any ideas how I would do this?

Thanks,

Several skim coats of stucco mix, applied over a few days would make
the two walls smooth.

I can't speak, if the walls are painted or how the skim coats would
stick on painted stucco.

Are the exterior walls a heavy knock down texture?

Oren,

Is there such a thing as a layers of stucco that are too thin? I plan
on skimming with about a quarter inch on the exterior.

I can't answer as to what is "too thin". But I'm sure .25 inch of skim
coat is fine. Where are you?
Posted to alt.home.repair

dadiOH wrote:
ROANIN wrote:
1. One or more buckets of drywall taping compound (drying type, not
setting)
2. Trowel

3. Trowel it on, try to keep as smooth as possible.

4. When it is dry (next day or longer) take a large, damp sponge and
start wiping. As you wipe, the compound will be removed from high
spots and deposited in low ones. If it looks good after it dries,
prime and paint; if not, go back to #3.

What I have read is that the gypsum based material is very sensitive
to moisture and that you need an air space between like a lath.
However, that being said, just how much moisture are they talking
about. Being the wall is inside are they talking about real humid
days, or direct contact with a substantial amount of water. The
drywall compound would be the easiest to do, but will it last.

Dryng type joint compound isn't gypsum, it is calcium carbonate
(powdered limestone) and starch. OTOH, the setting type compound is
gypsum (plaster). That's why it sets. All that doesn't much matter,
just a point of order
It is true that drying compound will resoften with moisture; that's
why you can smooth it with a damp sponge. It is also true that an
airspace would be better. The question is, how wet do these walls
get? If they feel damp, DW compound wouldn't be good. Even if they
did feel a bit damp, the compound isn't going to go sliding off but
you would most likely have problems with paint.

Just humidity in the air is NP. The interior walls on my screen
porch have a DW compound "stucco"; it has been so humid the last few
weeks that just blinking causes one to break out in a profuse sweat
but the "stucco" is fine.

If it were me, I'd tape a piece of clear plastic onto the wall and
see if I got any water condensing on the plastic. If no, compound
away to your hearts content; if yes, it depends on how much...if any
appreciable amount (which I doubt if the walls are painted) then a
sealer such as Seal Krete might be in order first.

You could also use thinset instead of compound. With it, it wouldn't
matter if the walls oozed a tad but you couldn't smooth it with a
sponge after it sets; before, yes. By "wouldn't matter" I'm thinking
of adhesion; if the walls transmit moisture you'd have problems with
paint regardless of what you put over the stucco unless there was an
air space.
BTW, how are you going to insulate the former exterior wall? Or do
you live where that isn't a big thing?

There is no doubt that your best bet would be to attach pressure
treated furring strips to the wall and put sheetrock on them. The
existing electrical outlets could be fixed with electrical box
extenders. Going that way, you would also be able to add sheet foam
insulation complete with vapor barrier at the expense of losing 2" or
so of space.

The former exterior walls are now interior walls of the revised porch. The
new exterior walls are pretty much all windows except for about 2 feet under
them which will be insulated. The stucco walls are really not wet or subject
to any outside elements. I just did not know if the drying compound ir
setting compound could be used for the smoothing out operation successfully.
I will do the tape plastic test just to check, but I do not expect any
moisture.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Uno Uno is offline

Oren wrote:

Oren,

Is there such a thing as a layers of stucco that are too thin? I plan
on skimming with about a quarter inch on the exterior.

I can't answer as to what is "too thin". But I'm sure .25 inch of skim
coat is fine. Where are you?

Albuquerque, NM.
--
Uno

stucco touch-up: best way to closely match existing stucco Ojas Home Repair 7 October 11th 16 07:44 PM
stucco Uno Home Repair 6 August 26th 10 03:10 PM
What is Stucco Harry Home Repair 2 August 20th 06 05:19 AM
Stucco? HotRod Home Repair 0 August 15th 06 01:43 PM
Stucco Jasper Home Repair 7 January 16th 06 02:27 PM