Posted to alt.home.repair
Jasper

Default Stucco

I have done stucco before on some churches in Mexico and am going to do my
garage. I am under the impression that without wire mesh under the stuuco
the failure rate is higher. The mesh at home depot would cost close to
$1000. I saw 'flip that house' on TV the other day and they were
stuccoing over what looked like chicken wire. I think that would be less
expensive than the stuff made for stucco but would it be acceptable?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jasper

On Thu, 05 Jan 2006 14:25:04 -0500, Jasper wrote:

I have done stucco before on some churches in Mexico and am going to do
my garage. I am under the impression that without wire mesh under the
stuuco the failure rate is higher. The mesh at home depot would cost
close to $1000. I saw 'flip that house' on TV the other day and they
were stuccoing over what looked like chicken wire. I think that would
be less expensive than the stuff made for stucco but would it be
acceptable?

Oops, forgot to mention that this is over block that has been painted.
The paint is failing.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jasper

On Thu, 05 Jan 2006 16:03:44 -0500, wrote:

Over block the wire is not as important as it is over some other
material. The real issue for you is to get as much of the flaking
paint off as you can and use "link" to bond the stucco to the block.
I would use a cup brush on a side grinder and knock off everything
that is flaking. Wear a respirator!

Thanks for advice. What is 'link'?

Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour

wrote:
On Thu, 05 Jan 2006 14:33:15 -0500, Jasper wrote:

[...]

Or he could use a commercial pressure washer (not one of those toys
meant for cleaning car wheels). Weldcrete is one brand name of a
bonding agent. If the block is in good shape with no cracks, you
probably don't need mesh and can use one-coat stucco directly on the
Weldcreted block.

Posted to alt.home.repair
SQLit

"Jasper" wrote in message newsp.s2w69pb0tjxu53@compaq...
On Thu, 05 Jan 2006 14:25:04 -0500, Jasper wrote:

I have done stucco before on some churches in Mexico and am going to do
my garage. I am under the impression that without wire mesh under the
stuuco the failure rate is higher. The mesh at home depot would cost
close to $1000. I saw 'flip that house' on TV the other day and they
were stuccoing over what looked like chicken wire. I think that would
be less expensive than the stuff made for stucco but would it be
acceptable?

Oops, forgot to mention that this is over block that has been painted.
The paint is failing.

I "mortar washed" my painted block house and it came out fine. Cleaned with
a pressure washer, then scaping, then the contractor applied a bonding
agent. Brown coat went down, a couple of days later the texture went on.
Painted still looks good 20 years later. This method is still being used
today over block.

Doing any less than the building code is not a good plan. I believe you
need to do some further research before you "mess it up"

Posted to alt.home.repair
Rusht Limpalless

Another way (the best way, imho) is to apply synthetic stucco over styrofoam
insulation. I doubt that heat or cooling costs are gonna drop, every little
bit of insulation is needed to cut alkaydas grip on the world.
Goto www.durabond.ca or .com for directions on synthetic stucco.
"SQLit" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joshua Putnam

In article , "Rusht
Limpalless" says...
Another way (the best way, imho) is to apply synthetic stucco over styrofoam
insulation. I doubt that heat or cooling costs are gonna drop, every little
bit of insulation is needed to cut alkaydas grip on the world.

But check with your insurance agent first -- syntehtic stucco over
foam is almost uninsurable in many markets because of all the water
intrusion, rot, and mold claims that are allegedly caused by dfective
matierals, sloppy installation, or improper maintenance, depending on
whose lawyers you ask.

--
is Joshua Putnam
http://www.phred.org/~josh/
Posted to alt.home.repair
Jasper

Over block the wire is not as important as it is over some other
material. The real issue for you is to get as much of the flaking
paint off as you can and use "link" to bond the stucco to the block.
I would use a cup brush on a side grinder and knock off everything
that is flaking. Wear a respirator!

Or he could use a commercial pressure washer (not one of those toys
meant for cleaning car wheels). Weldcrete is one brand name of a
bonding agent. If the block is in good shape with no cracks, you
probably don't need mesh and can use one-coat stucco directly on the
Weldcreted block.

update:
knocked off all the loose stucco, 99% came off "easily". Borrowed a 2600
psi presure washer and will clean the blocks. I guess then would be the
time to do any mortar/ repair to block walls prior to bondage. Looked
into lime/mortar wash. Do to some damage to wall [seems a cadillac ran
the stop sign & hit it many years ago] I htink stucco might be better
choice because it could cover more imperfections left from the cadillac.