Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Wireless Burglar Alarm

I'd like some advice on Burglar alarms. I'd like to help secure a
small 900SF rental house. I suppose a couple of wireless door sensors
and a couple of wireless motion sensors.

I'm confused about standards and intercompatibility. Are there any?

I'm looking at something like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/WIRELESS-HOME-SE...efaultDomain_0

The more I look the more confused I get! It is hard enough to tell
the low quality junk from the high quality junk.

Jeff
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/14/2010 6:40 AM, Jeff Thies wrote:
I'd like some advice on Burglar alarms. I'd like to help secure a
small 900SF rental house. I suppose a couple of wireless door sensors
and a couple of wireless motion sensors.

I'm confused about standards and intercompatibility. Are there any?

I'm looking at something like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/WIRELESS-HOME-SE...efaultDomain_0

The more I look the more confused I get! It is hard enough to tell the
low quality junk from the high quality junk.

Jeff

I would think you'd have to change batteries or at least check them
every year. Would be a PITA with all these individual units.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm confused about standards and intercompatibility. Are there any?

Go to a well known dealer like this...
http://www.basshome.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/14/2010 6:40 AM, Jeff Thies wrote:
I'd like some advice on Burglar alarms. I'd like to help secure a
small 900SF rental house. I suppose a couple of wireless door sensors
and a couple of wireless motion sensors.

I'm confused about standards and intercompatibility. Are there any?

I'm looking at something like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/WIRELESS-HOME-SE...efaultDomain_0

The more I look the more confused I get! It is hard enough to tell the
low quality junk from the high quality junk.

Jeff

What would you assume you are are going to get with an "all this for
less than $100" unknown brand unknown dealer deal?
Posted to alt.home.repair

http://cgi.ebay.com/WIRELESS-HOME-SE...-auto-dailing-...

* *The more I look the more confused I get! It is hard enough to tell
the low quality junk from the high quality junk.

* *Jeff

Is the house empty, or rented out, or what???

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 14, 6:40*am, Jeff Thies wrote:
* *I'd like some advice on Burglar alarms. I'd like to help secure a
small 900SF rental house. I suppose a couple of wireless door sensors
and a couple of wireless motion sensors.

* *I'm confused about standards and intercompatibility. Are there any?

* *I'm looking at something like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/WIRELESS-HOME-SE...-auto-dailing-...

* *The more I look the more confused I get! It is hard enough to tell
the low quality junk from the high quality junk.

* *Jeff

Are you the landlord or the tenant in this 900 s.f. house ?

If you are the tenant you will need to discuss this addition with your
landlord and obtain permission as the installer/dealer is going to
need consent from the property owner to install the control box and
phone dialer for central monitoring...

If you are the landlord don't be cheap about this... If you are
looking
to invest in your rental home and add an amenity then go through a
local alarm company dealer which will be around to service your
system in the future if something ever goes wrong with it...

~~ Evan
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Evan" wrote

Are you the landlord or the tenant in this 900 s.f. house ?

If you are the tenant you will need to discuss this addition with your
landlord and obtain permission as the installer/dealer is going to
need consent from the property owner to install the control box and
phone dialer for central monitoring...

This type of system has no dealer or installer. It is plugged into the
phone nad there is an AC adapter for power. I don't see where the homeowner
needs to give consent for anything.

If you are the landlord don't be cheap about this... If you are
looking
to invest in your rental home and add an amenity then go through a
local alarm company dealer which will be around to service your
system in the future if something ever goes wrong with it...

Our alarm company charges $90 an hour for service. This entire system sell
for $93. Sure, it may not be quite as effective as a monitored system, but
a blasting siren solves most break-in problems.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 15 Aug 2010 00:05:32 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

"Evan" wrote

[...]

....and a blasting from a gun solves the rest.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 15, 12:05*am, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
"Evan" wrote

[...]

I installed a wireless one back in the 80s made by Schlage in my
condo. Overall, it worked OK and served it's purpose. Except one
time it did malfunction while I was away on a business trip, set off
the siren, and failed to reset. After neighbors called me, I had to
get my cleaning lady to go over and cut the wires to the siren to stop
it.

If it's a property you are renting, you may need to get permission
from the landlord to install it. For example, how are you going to
mount window and door sensors? You need to either screw them on or
glue them on. The former being obviously more reliable. Once you do
that, expect the system to then be left behind when you leave. If
you go only with a motion sensor type system, then you may be able to
avoid those issues.

To answer the question about compatibility and mixing modules from one
manufacturer with another, I highly doubt that is possible. AFAIK,
I've never heard about any standards. And alarm companies tend to
closely guard their technology and want to keep everything
proprietery. I'd just make sure that whatever one you choose you can
get every module you want from the one company, which should not be
hard.

Overall, the wireless ones while being low cost, do have some
disadvantages:

less reliable than hard wired
less likely to be eligible for an insurance discount
possibly more likely to be falsely tripped

And all alarm systems have some disadvantages, mainly false tripping.
Think about who is going to come find out what's wrong when the thing
dials you or the neighbors call because the siren won't stop. And
weigh that versus what you have to lose that this kind of system might
avoid.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/15/2010 8:34 AM, wrote:
On Aug 15, 12:05 am, "Ed wrote:
wrote

[...]

A little background: I've come into a small inheritance (my brother
and myself took care of Mom in her house rather than a nursing home).

It's a great time to buy houses if you have cash, a bad time if you
don't. I have a house I just acquired with tenants (previous owner just
dropped 10K in improvements it, nicely done, my price 17K). Next week,
I'll be buying an unoccupied house. Good neighbors though.
In addition, I have my own house. I'd like to put an alarm in each.
I've looked at several and they seem to have similar to identical
features. I know a bit about electronics and most electronics are
designed using the same chips or chip families, the ergonomics are
different and the discreet component that "glue" it together are
different, but the core logic/functionality is identical. I'm thinking
this may be the case here.

I'm thinking one or two motion sensors and the door sensors. The
window sensors I think are a pain, and the motion detector should pick
it up. I think we are now in the wireless age and I'm down with not
crawling through a crawl space. These alarms seem to let you set rules
for different zones, so some may trip an alarm and some will just log
the intrusion.

But I have no actual experience with them...

Jeff

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Because you are attaching things to doors, door frames, windows and
window frames and adding a very loud noise making device for which
your landlord as the registered owner of the property becomes legally
responsible for after it is installed... If it keeps going off, the
landlord
and not the tenant is going to be cited for the noise issues...
Therefore
since it is their property and NOT the tenants they should have the
right to impose reasonable restrictions on what kind of system is
installed and who does the installing...

Renting is not owning, you do not have the "right" to do whatever
you want with a rental property as a tenant, your rights are
restricted by local laws and the terms of your rental/lease
agreement...

~~ Evan
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/16/2010 1:37 AM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
On Sun 15 Aug 2010 06:49:02a, Jeff Thies told us...

On 8/15/2010 8:34 AM, wrote:
On Aug 15, 12:05 am, "Ed wrote:
wrote

[...]

Our current system has all wireless contacts for windows, doors, and
motion/body heat detectors, as well as smoke detectors. All transmit
back to the central panel. The siren is also wirelss.

Which system (brand name)?

Jeff

If desired,
all the window and door contacts can be mounted using adhesive velcro
tape, so there is no defacing of the surfaces. Our system is
monitored with a phone line connection, but similar standalone
systems are availalble without the monitoring feature. Most systems
have a CO2 detector available if you have gas appliances. Our
complete system cost only $149. Monitoring is $29/mo.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue 17 Aug 2010 02:45:52a, Jeff Thies told us...

Which system (brand name)?

Jeff

Our system components were made by Honeywell and installed by ADT.

Thanks!
Jeff
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Aug 15, 8:34*am, wrote:
[...]

Not true. I had a wireless system and the sensors were installed with
double sided tape.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 18, 7:19*am, Ron wrote:
On Aug 15, 8:34*am, wrote:

[...]

double sided tape.- Hide quoted text -

Even window sensors installed with double sided tape are likely to
damage the paint. At least if the the adhesive is strong enough to be
reliable and they are left there for a couple years or more. I found
both of those conditions to be true with the Schlage sensors I used.
I then had to use contact cement to keep them in place. And if one
falls off, it will trip the alarm.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 18, 7:40*am, wrote:
On Aug 18, 7:19*am, Ron wrote:

On Aug 15, 8:34*am, wrote:

[...]

falls off, it will trip the alarm.- Hide quoted text -

I'd say do not bother with an alarm system. They almost never prevent
or stop anything. They have hundreds of thousands of false alarms to
one real one. Around here our local government has created a "fee" if
the police get called out to your house more than x times for a false
alarm. Find something else to "improve" your property with.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
jamesgangnc wrote:

I'd say do not bother with an alarm system. They almost never prevent
or stop anything. They have hundreds of thousands of false alarms to
one real one. Around here our local government has created a "fee" if
the police get called out to your house more than x times for a false
alarm. Find something else to "improve" your property with.

After my house was burglarized several years ago, a friend noted that
100 years ago it likely wouldn't have happened, because grampa would
have been sitting out in a rocking chair on the front porch with a
shotgun in his lap while I was at work. But gringos don't live in
families anymore.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Aug 18, 7:40*am, wrote:
On Aug 18, 7:19*am, Ron wrote:

On Aug 15, 8:34*am, wrote:

[...]

The home had aluminum windows and the sensors never fell off after the
3 yrs that I used the system.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/18/2010 7:40 AM, wrote:
On Aug 18, 7:19 am, wrote:
On Aug 15, 8:34 am, wrote:

On Aug 15, 12:05 am, "Ed wrote:

wrote

[...]

Yes, I have some rental apartments and a few years back a tenant used a
whole bunch of "easily removable stick-ons" in the apartment for various
things. After a few years most also removed the paint when they were
removed.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 18 Aug 2010 08:56:36 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article
,
jamesgangnc wrote:

I'd say do not bother with an alarm system. They almost never prevent
or stop anything. They have hundreds of thousands of false alarms to
one real one. Around here our local government has created a "fee" if
the police get called out to your house more than x times for a false
alarm. Find something else to "improve" your property with.

After my house was burglarized several years ago, a friend noted that
100 years ago it likely wouldn't have happened, because grampa would
have been sitting out in a rocking chair on the front porch with a
shotgun in his lap while I was at work. But gringos don't live in
families anymore.

....and the neighbors would have gramps locked up for rocking on the front
porch with a shotgun.