Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Steam clean range hood

My range hood is so greasy that I had a hard time changing the
fluorescent tube recently.
I want to buy a steam cleaner for various household uses, including
the range hood.
Question: Would the steam damage the fluorescent tube? IOW, should I
remove
it (pain in the ***) before steam cleaning the hood?

TIA
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Higgs Boson" wrote in message
My range hood is so greasy that I had a hard time changing the
fluorescent tube recently.
I want to buy a steam cleaner for various household uses, including
the range hood.
Question: Would the steam damage the fluorescent tube? IOW, should I
remove
it (pain in the ***) before steam cleaning the hood?

TIA

Heating glass unevenly can damage it and hitting it with steam in one spot
could break it. . I'd remove the tube and cover the sockets well too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2010-07-29, Higgs Boson wrote:
My range hood is so greasy that I had a hard time changing the
fluorescent tube recently.

Buy some 409 spray. That stuff cuts kitchen smoke grease like nothing
I've ever seen. Spray till it's dripping. Let sit for 10 mins
(respray if it begins drying) and take some rubber gloves, paper
towels, and one of those mesh scrubby thingies and have at it. It
might take a couple applications and some serious elbow grease, but 409
will cut that stuff.

If that doesn't work, Call a some local restaurants and ask what
they use. The are constantly degreasing their cooking hoods to pass
fire dept inpections.

I'd forget those cheapo steam thingies. Junk!

nb

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2010-07-29, Higgs Boson wrote:

My range hood is so greasy that I had a hard time changing the
fluorescent tube recently.

Buy some 409 spray. *That stuff cuts kitchen smoke grease like nothing
I've ever seen. *Spray till it's dripping. *Let sit for 10 mins
(respray if it begins drying) and take some rubber gloves, paper
towels, and one of those mesh scrubby thingies and have at it. *It
might take a couple applications and some serious elbow grease, but 409
will cut that stuff.

If that doesn't work, Call a some local restaurants and ask what
they use. *The are constantly degreasing their cooking hoods to pass
fire dept inpections. *

I'd forget those cheapo steam thingies. *Junk!

Ewww...Why do you say "junk"? My DIL has one and she says it works
fine but not on delicate things? Are you speaking from experience,
or...?
Straight question.

nb

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 29, 6:49*am, "Jay-T" wrote:
Go to Home Depot, in the paint department, and buy a small box of TSP
(TriSodium Phosphate) and use it to do the cleaning. *Works great on grease.

OK, you and the other respondent both recommended cleaning manually.
I KNOW I can do that; I use a cleaner called "Greased Lightning" which
does great,
as, I am sure, do your recommendations.

My hope was that I wouldn't have to climb up on the stove (I am small)
and shield
my head and face from dripping **** while trying to reach the maw of
the hood
with short arms (no cracks pls).

No way out? (Sob)

Higgs Boson wrote:
My range hood is so greasy that I had a hard time changing the
fluorescent tube recently.
I want to buy a steam cleaner for various household uses, including
the range hood.
Question: *Would the steam damage the fluorescent tube? *IOW, should I
remove
it (pain in the ***) before steam cleaning the hood?

TIA

Posted to alt.home.repair

Sadly, you're probably going to get dripped on from the steam/water and
melted grease anyway, and even then, you'll have to wipe things off when
finished. Yes, remove the tube, but personally, I would NOT cover the
sockets, since they're probably greased over as well. The steam would be
fine for softening and even removing the caked grease, but for the final
wipe-down, you probably will want to use either your favorite cleaner or the
TSP, which is terrific.

Nonny

Higgs Boson wrote:
My range hood is so greasy that I had a hard time changing the
fluorescent tube recently.
I want to buy a steam cleaner for various household uses, including
the range hood.
Question: Would the steam damage the fluorescent tube? IOW, should I
remove
it (pain in the ***) before steam cleaning the hood?

TIA

Posted to alt.home.repair

Okay, I get it. I assume the steam cleaner has some kind of long handle or
wand.

But, how about this idea? First turn the light and/or fan on; then find the
correct circuit breaker for that circuit and turn off the power to the
fan/light at the circuit breaker. Then, use a chair or stool to get up high
enough to reach and remove the bulbs. Turn off all burners, and if it is a
gas stove with gas pilots, turn off the pilots so there is no open flame.
Place some kind of huge basin or plastic cover over the entire stove area.
Find some type of cleaning brush with a long handle, such as a toilet bowl
cleaner or whatever, and use the stool/chair and the long-handled brush to
clean the whole thing with TSP solution. My guess is that will be similar
to using the steam cleaner with a wand, and won't result in any more goop
landing on you than you would get with the steam cleaner.

Then again, you may be just really wanting to buy one of those steam cleaner
devices. If so, just go for it and buy one and try it out. I have no idea
how well they work, but when I see them on TV they look like junk to me. If
you do end up doing that, post back here how well it works. Just because it
looks like junk to me on TV doesn't mean that I am right about that. So,
I'd be interested in knowing if they really do work and how well they work.

But, even if you go with the steam cleaner, do the routine about turning off
the power, and use a chair or stool or whatever and remove the bulbs first.
If nothing else, that will give you better access to clean the whole unit,
including above/behind the bulbs and the bulb sockets.

Let us know how it all works out.

And, thanks for being one of those few people who post a question and then
actually reads the answers and follows up, instead of just posting a
question and never being heard from again.

Higgs Boson wrote:
My range hood is so greasy that I had a hard time changing the
fluorescent tube recently.
I want to buy a steam cleaner for various household uses, including
the range hood.
Question: Would the steam damage the fluorescent tube? IOW, should I
remove
it (pain in the ***) before steam cleaning the hood?

TIA

Posted to alt.home.repair

Joe wrote:
On Jul 29, 2:31 am, Higgs Boson wrote:
My range hood is so greasy that I had a hard time changing the
fluorescent tube recently.
I want to buy a steam cleaner for various household uses, including
the range hood.
Question: Would the steam damage the fluorescent tube? IOW, should I
remove
it (pain in the ***) before steam cleaning the hood?

TIA

Troll. Plonk

Joe

Obviously, this was not a troll post. Trolls don't typically follow up with
completely logical and coherent replies to the responses they receive.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 30, 10:18*am, "Jay-T" wrote:
Joe wrote:
On Jul 29, 2:31 am, Higgs Boson wrote:
My range hood is so greasy that I had a hard time changing the
fluorescent tube recently.
I want to buy a steam cleaner for various household uses, including
the range hood.
Question: Would the steam damage the fluorescent tube? IOW, should I
remove
it (pain in the ***) before steam cleaning the hood?

TIA

Troll. *Plonk

Joe

Obviously, this was not a troll post. *Trolls don't typically follow up with
completely logical and coherent replies to the responses they receive.

Certainly offers an interesting insight into "Joe"'s POV.

range/vent hood Edee em Home Repair 1 January 29th 10 03:34 AM
Range Hood Katherine Walker-Chase Home Ownership 2 December 16th 07 01:27 AM
Range Hood Katherine Walker-Chase Home Repair 17 December 13th 07 03:40 PM
over the range hood Melissa Home Repair 5 August 3rd 05 12:58 PM
Range hood vs. over-the-range microwave - which vent is better? Stan Home Repair 6 January 15th 05 02:45 AM