Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Range Hood

We're getting the new Aga range in Aubergine and I'm having a heck of
a time finding a one-of-a-kind hood for it. Everything I can find
online is standard, but I want something exciting and fresh. Thoughts
anyone?

Thanks,
Katherine.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Katherine Walker-Chase" wrote in message
We're getting the new Aga range in Aubergine and I'm having a heck of
a time finding a one-of-a-kind hood for it. Everything I can find
online is standard, but I want something exciting and fresh. Thoughts
anyone?

Thanks,
Katherine.

Define exciting and fresh. My definition would be custom made stainless
steel with least possible sharp bends to snag the sponge as I clean it. It
would vent through the wall to the outside, since no other method serves any
useful purpose.

What's your definition?

Posted to alt.home.repair

I think you need to get over your compulsion to be unique. Your not.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
I think you need to get over your compulsion to be unique. Your not.

OK. Subtract "custom made", and everything else I said is universally
valid.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I would suggest hiring a kitchen designer like the one below who started out
in Beverly Hills.

Then in addition to the new range and hood which will probably clash with
the "old" kitchen, I would recommend an entire kitchen "face lift" with new
cabinets, countertops, and appliances to match.

Kitchen designer...
http://www.bhg.com/bhg/story.jsp?sto...r_03072005.xml

"Katherine Walker-Chase" wrote in message
We're getting the new Aga range in Aubergine and I'm having a heck of
a time finding a one-of-a-kind hood for it. Everything I can find
online is standard, but I want something exciting and fresh. Thoughts
anyone?

Thanks,
Katherine.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 11, 12:34 pm, buffalobill wrote:
On Dec 11, 12:09 pm, Katherine Walker-Chase

wrote:
We're getting the new Aga range in Aubergine and I'm having a heck of
a time finding a one-of-a-kind hood for it. Everything I can find
online is standard, but I want something exciting and fresh. Thoughts
anyone?

Thanks,
Katherine.

use a motorcar part replica of the era of the stove, like a car hood
of a buick of the fifties was my first idea but i think you are headed
toward frank lloyd wright, maybe a 1925 ford pickup. give or take your
color choice. if automotive front ends hanging over the stove aren't
what you had in mind [but wait --the headlights would have been
cool!] how about a metal rolltop desk design for the range hood.
factory venting options you started with that are boring are seen at:http://www.theagashop.com/HTML/AGA%2...%20Options.htm

Cars! My husband would love that theme! We'll have to look into
this...

As for the Aga Shop, there's just one tiny problem. It might sound
just awful, but I don't want something that somebody else already has,
especially anything that remotely resembles anything that anyone I
know has or is getting. I know that's beyond "keep up with the
Joneses" and more like "the Joneses never dreamed of this" but when
you're spending for the kitchen of your dreams, you want it to make an
impression! I'm sure you understand.

Thanks for your terrific ideas.

Katherine

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 11, 1:09 pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"Katherine Walker-Chase" wrote in message

We're getting the new Aga range in Aubergine and I'm having a heck of
a time finding a one-of-a-kind hood for it. Everything I can find
online is standard, but I want something exciting and fresh. Thoughts
anyone?

Thanks,
Katherine.

Define exciting and fresh. My definition would be custom made stainless
steel with least possible sharp bends to snag the sponge as I clean it. It
would vent through the wall to the outside, since no other method serves any
useful purpose.

What's your definition?

Hello, Joe.

I apologize if my post was a bit nebulous, I've just been a bit short
on time lately as the holidays approach!

Fresh, exciting, unique, one-of-a-kind: This means I want something
different than I've seen in other people's homes. Someone else here
suggested a car theme, which my husband will definitely adore. That
sounds fresh to me, and I'm entertaining the new and innovative right
now.

When I fell in love with this little Aga in Aubergine my husband told
me I could do anything I wanted to the kitchen. Since the range was
the first piece, I'm working around it, and I;m actually really
enjoying myself,

My husband's secretary sent this link www.metalloarts.com to Metallo
Arts. I haven't heard of them but they seem to be able to do just
about anything. Apparently they make "art hoods" inspired by Jackson
Polluck or Andy Warhol, too. Isn't that a kick? Have you heard of
them? What do you think? They're in the NKBA but I don't know anyone
who has used them (which is, in itself, part of the attraction).

Your thoughts are appreciated, and happy holidays, Joe.

Katherine
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

All that texture will trap dirt, and when you try to clean it, you will want
to kill yourself for buying one of those things. I suspect you either have a
maid, or love spending half a day cleaning something that should take 8
minutes to clean.

Useless textures do not belong in kitchens or bathrooms. Period.

I also think it's odd that your husband's secretary is involved with this. I
can't quite explain why, though.

Posted to alt.home.repair

All that texture will trap dirt, and when you try to clean it, you will want
to kill yourself for buying one of those things. I suspect you either have a
maid, or love spending half a day cleaning something that should take 8
minutes to clean.

We have a housekeeper.

Useless textures do not belong in kitchens or bathrooms. Period.

I'll not describe our baths to you then.

I also think it's odd that your husband's secretary is involved with this. I
can't quite explain why, though.

Or maybe she's trying to be helpful.

Katherine.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Katherine Walker-Chase" wrote in message

All that texture will trap dirt, and when you try to clean it, you will
want
to kill yourself for buying one of those things. I suspect you either
have a
maid, or love spending half a day cleaning something that should take 8
minutes to clean.

We have a housekeeper.

Useless textures do not belong in kitchens or bathrooms. Period.

I'll not describe our baths to you then.

I also think it's odd that your husband's secretary is involved with
this. I
can't quite explain why, though.

Or maybe she's trying to be helpful.

Katherine.

In that case, go for it. It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. The hood
*is* going to gather dirt more than a smooth one, though. Be prepared for
that.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Kitchen designer...http://www.bhg.com/bhg/story.jsp?sto...bhg/story/data...

"Katherine Walker-Chase" wrote in message
We're getting the new Aga range in Aubergine and I'm having a heck of
a time finding a one-of-a-kind hood for it. Everything I can find
online is standard, but I want something exciting and fresh. Thoughts
anyone?

Thanks,
Katherine.

Hello, Bill.

Unfortunately, I met with two designers that came recommended to me
and neither seemed to be enthusiastic over my ideas. I consulted the
designer who worked with us in our summer home (we did Viking/
Eurostyle there) and he didn't seem to warm enough to it either, You
just can't fake it and you're either on board with it or you're not.

I don't want what everyone else has. I don't want to do what everyone
else is doing. I want our kitchen to reflect us. It's the heart of our
home.

Thanks for your help and understanding,

Katherine
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 11, 2:20 pm, wrote:
I think you need to get over your compulsion to be unique. Your not.

Surely you mean "You're not."

Happy holidays, Scott.

Katherine
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Katherine Walker-Chase" wrote in message

I don't want what everyone else has. I don't want to do what everyone
else is doing.

There are two different "everyones". One group would be homeowners, and
you're right. Not many people would have one of the designer hoods you
pointed out in your other message.

The other group would be professional chefs, and they would never install
something that was hard to clean. They also have "housekeepers", but it
doesn't matter.

Kitchens are messy places no matter how careful you are. Would you wear a
$400.00 sweater while making tomato sauce? Of course not.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 12, 1:47 pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"Katherine Walker-Chase" wrote in message

I don't want what everyone else has. I don't want to do what everyone
else is doing.

There are two different "everyones". One group would be homeowners, and
you're right. Not many people would have one of the designer hoods you
pointed out in your other message.

The other group would be professional chefs, and they would never install
something that was hard to clean. They also have "housekeepers", but it
doesn't matter.

Kitchens are messy places no matter how careful you are. Would you wear a
$400.00 sweater while making tomato sauce? Of course not.

I understand the point you're making here, Joe. The problem I'm having
is this, It's not just the kitchen. It's art.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Katherine Walker-Chase" wrote in message
On Dec 12, 1:47 pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"Katherine Walker-Chase" wrote in
message

I don't want what everyone else has. I don't want to do what everyone
else is doing.

There are two different "everyones". One group would be homeowners, and
you're right. Not many people would have one of the designer hoods you
pointed out in your other message.

The other group would be professional chefs, and they would never install
something that was hard to clean. They also have "housekeepers", but it
doesn't matter.

Kitchens are messy places no matter how careful you are. Would you wear a
$400.00 sweater while making tomato sauce? Of course not.

I understand the point you're making here, Joe. The problem I'm having
is this, It's not just the kitchen. It's art.

Oy!

You're going to do it no matter what anyone thinks. You weren't really
looking for opinions, obviously.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Katherine Walker-Chase wrote:

We're getting the new Aga range in Aubergine and I'm having a heck of
a time finding a one-of-a-kind hood for it. Everything I can find
online is standard, but I want something exciting and fresh. Thoughts
anyone?

Thanks,
Katherine.

At first, I didn't pay attention to the thread, especially when it got
to car parts ) Then I got curious and now I remember seeing Aga's
long, long ago. My fave is Magic Chef from ?thirties. Ennyhoo, have
you considered glass? All kinds of stuff you can do with glass, from
tempered glass in a metal framework to form-molded stained glass. We
had to cover up an ugly, old metal tile backsplash and didn't want to
rip out the wall. Slapped some Formica-type stuff onto it (pick your
color/pattern) and put tempered glass with a pattern over the Formica.
F. glued in place, glass just hanging on with clear silicone all
around. Glass has a joint, but joint doesn't show because of the
pattern. Pattern is with smoothe side out for ease of cleaning. It had
to be cut, sent back to factory for tempering, and then delivered.
About 7'wide, across range/countertop below wall cabinets. About $70
for the glass. All sealed up so there is no condensation behind it and
cleaning doesn't cause anything to seep behind. Doesn't get very hot,
as I first thought it might get very hot and then crack if something
splattered on it. When I get tired of the pattern, I can cut the
silicone and take it down. I'm in love with the glass basins in the
restrooms at a restaurant nearby - form molded with colored glass, which
can be free-form or patterned. You would need a sturdy framework, but
that could be relatively simple. Let us know )

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 12, 5:41 pm, Norminn wrote:
[...]

GLASS!

What a brilliant idea!

I'm going to have to bring that one, along with the car idea, to the
table this week end.
The more info you have for me, the better.

Thanks a million!

Katherine.

Custom range hood todd Woodworking 2 July 13th 06 05:49 PM
over the range hood Melissa Home Repair 5 August 3rd 05 12:58 PM
Range hood question Sasha Home Repair 9 May 5th 05 05:29 PM
Range Hood Plans Jeff and Jennifer Cook Woodworking 12 March 5th 05 06:29 PM
Range hood vs. over-the-range microwave - which vent is better? Stan Home Repair 6 January 15th 05 02:45 AM