Jeff and Jennifer Cook

Default Range Hood Plans

I'd like to build a wooden range hood. Does anybody know where I can get
some plans for various hoods?
I'd appreciate any help.
Jeff

J. Clarke

Jeff and Jennifer Cook wrote:

I'd like to build a wooden range hood. Does anybody know where I can get
some plans for various hoods?
I'd appreciate any help.

Talk to the fire marshall before you do this. Your best beat is to case a
commercial hood in a wooden enclosure.

Jeff

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
Alexander Galkin

I am also planning to build a wood enclosure for the range hood. I also want
to use external blower to reduce noise. I only checked NuTone products and
they seem to have both external blower and accessories. Are there any other
manufactures worth considering?

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
Jeff and Jennifer Cook wrote:

I'd like to build a wooden range hood. Does anybody know where I can get
some plans for various hoods?
I'd appreciate any help.

Talk to the fire marshall before you do this. Your best beat is to case a
commercial hood in a wooden enclosure.

Jeff

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Patriarch

"Alexander Galkin" wrote in
:

I am also planning to build a wood enclosure for the range hood. I
also want to use external blower to reduce noise. I only checked
NuTone products and they seem to have both external blower and
accessories. Are there any other manufactures worth considering?

Find a BrandSource dealer in your area, and go see the showroom. They will
have a lot of options for you.

No affiliation, etc.

Patriarch
Allen Windhorn

"Alexander Galkin" writes:

I am also planning to build a wood enclosure for the range hood. I also want
to use external blower to reduce noise. I only checked NuTone products and
they seem to have both external blower and accessories. Are there any other
manufactures worth considering?

Vent-A-Hood is the best IMHO.

Regards,
Allen
--
Allen Windhorn (507) 345-2782 FAX (507) 345-2805
Kato Engineering (Though I do not speak for Kato)

Phisherman

On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 00:00:31 -0700, "Jeff and Jennifer Cook"
wrote:

I'd like to build a wooden range hood. Does anybody know where I can get
some plans for various hoods?
I'd appreciate any help.
Jeff

Not a good idea. Use sheet copper, stainless steel or galvanized
metal with BBQ paint.

Charles Jones

"Jeff and Jennifer Cook" wrote in message
I'd like to build a wooden range hood. Does anybody know where I can get
some plans for various hoods?
I'd appreciate any help.

In article gJ%Vd.90227$QS5.86413@trndny06, replies ...
I'd stay clear of wood. Simply not fire retardant and difficult to clean.

That's true, yet there are wooden range hood *covers* that have a
metallic liner in the bits that get hot. Could this be what the OP is
looking for?

--
Charles Jones )
Loveland, Colorado

HMFIC@1369

I understood the question. If anyone actually made a rangehood just out of
wood.... I'd feel real sorry for them.

I do a lot of Chinese cooking very hot wok, over time the "wooden hood
cover" was showing it's age prematurely. It was a bitch to keep clean and
manage the surface. Oil is oil and hot oil will still permeate the wood hood
cover over time and turn rancid. So we chucked it and went Stainless Steel
with a Copper cover! Much nicer....and easier to maintain.....

"Charles Jones" wrote in message
"Jeff and Jennifer Cook" wrote in message
I'd like to build a wooden range hood. Does anybody know where I can

get
some plans for various hoods?
I'd appreciate any help.

In article gJ%Vd.90227$QS5.86413@trndny06, replies ...
I'd stay clear of wood. Simply not fire retardant and difficult to

clean.

That's true, yet there are wooden range hood *covers* that have a
metallic liner in the bits that get hot. Could this be what the OP is
looking for?

--
Charles Jones )
Loveland, Colorado
AIM: LovelandCharles
ICQ: 29610755
MSN:

Mike

wrote:

I'd like to build a wooden range hood. Does anybody know where I can get
some plans for various hoods?
I'd appreciate any help.

I assume you are talking about some type of cover with the fan and
motor parts hidden.
One thing to check is the specs on the range or cook-top. Those
specs will give you the dimension, from the top of the cooking
surface, for any combustible material. This can make a very big
difference in how tall your wooden hood cover will be or whether you
have room for another cabinet above it.
We just installed a wooden hood cover in a kitchen with a built in
cook-top. The cook-top required 30" between the cook-top surface and
any combustible. The specs would allow 24" if all of the exposed
combustible edges were covered with a specific type of sheet steel.

Mike O.
J. Clarke

HMFIC@1369 wrote:

I'd stay clear of wood. Simply not fire retardant and difficult to clean.

Actually, some _are_ fire retardant. I understand that Ipe has the same
fire rating as concrete. Redwood doesn't like to burn either--forest fires
are part of the reproductive cycle for redwoods. Getting the grease off is
another story. And they aren't the only ones.

But convincing the fire marshall that your ipe hood is as safe as steel may
take some doing.

"Jeff and Jennifer Cook" wrote in message
I'd like to build a wooden range hood. Does anybody know where I can get
some plans for various hoods?
I'd appreciate any help.
Jeff

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
igor

On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 08:18:39 -0500, "Alexander Galkin"
wrote:

I am also planning to build a wood enclosure for the range hood. I also want
to use external blower to reduce noise. I only checked NuTone products and
they seem to have both external blower and accessories. Are there any other
manufactures worth considering?

I put a commercial blower on the roof -- better price than nutone. 1200CFM
w/ 10" duct. Cannot recall the brand name but check with restaurant supply
stores. Be sure to consider/calc make-up air needs - especially if you
heat/air condition your space (i.e., windows are closed). Problem is that
residential designers generally have no idea about this issue (not blaming
them, just IME). If you want expert advice on this, get a short consult
with a commercial kitchen designer - try to find one that will give you
good advice but no so anal that he/she insists that you meet commercial
code. HTH. -- Igor

Range / microwave / hood in 1 piece Ikon Home Repair 7 January 18th 05 01:24 AM
Range hood vs. over-the-range microwave - which vent is better? Stan Home Repair 6 January 15th 05 02:45 AM
Range Hood Replacement/Upgrade Question Lee Home Ownership 2 August 21st 04 12:59 PM
Plans Tom Watson Woodworking 4 August 23rd 03 03:57 AM
Installing a vented range hood Kevin O' Home Repair 2 August 19th 03 02:30 AM