Posted to alt.home.repair
Higgs Boson[_2_] Higgs Boson[_2_] is offline

Default Steam clean range hood

On Jul 29, 12:12*pm, "Jay-T" wrote:
Okay, I get it. *I assume the steam cleaner has some kind of long handle or
wand.

But, how about this idea? *First turn the light and/or fan on; then find the
correct circuit breaker for that circuit and turn off the power to the
fan/light at the circuit breaker. *Then, use a chair or stool to get up high
enough to reach and remove the bulbs. *Turn off all burners, and if it is a
gas stove with gas pilots, turn off the pilots so there is no open flame.
Place some kind of huge basin or plastic cover over the entire stove area..
Find some type of cleaning brush with a long handle, such as a toilet bowl
cleaner or whatever, and use the stool/chair and the long-handled brush to
clean the whole thing with TSP solution. *My guess is that will be similar
to using the steam cleaner with a wand, and won't result in any more goop
landing on you than you would get with the steam cleaner.

Then again, you may be just really wanting to buy one of those steam cleaner
devices. *If so, just go for it and buy one and try it out. *I have no idea
how well they work, but when I see them on TV they look like junk to me. *If
you do end up doing that, post back here how well it works. *Just because it
looks like junk to me on TV doesn't mean that I am right about that. *So,
I'd be interested in knowing if they really do work and how well they work.

But, even if you go with the steam cleaner, do the routine about turning off
the power, and use a chair or stool or whatever and remove the bulbs first.