Posted to alt.home.repair
Nonnymus[_3_] Nonnymus[_3_] is offline

Default Steam clean range hood

Sadly, you're probably going to get dripped on from the steam/water and
melted grease anyway, and even then, you'll have to wipe things off when
finished. Yes, remove the tube, but personally, I would NOT cover the
sockets, since they're probably greased over as well. The steam would be
fine for softening and even removing the caked grease, but for the final
wipe-down, you probably will want to use either your favorite cleaner or the
TSP, which is terrific.

Nonny

"Higgs Boson" wrote in message
On Jul 29, 6:49 am, "Jay-T" wrote:
Go to Home Depot, in the paint department, and buy a small box of TSP
(TriSodium Phosphate) and use it to do the cleaning. Works great on
grease.

OK, you and the other respondent both recommended cleaning manually.
I KNOW I can do that; I use a cleaner called "Greased Lightning" which
does great,
as, I am sure, do your recommendations.

My hope was that I wouldn't have to climb up on the stove (I am small)
and shield
my head and face from dripping **** while trying to reach the maw of
the hood
with short arms (no cracks pls).

No way out? (Sob)

Higgs Boson wrote:
My range hood is so greasy that I had a hard time changing the
fluorescent tube recently.
I want to buy a steam cleaner for various household uses, including
the range hood.
Question: Would the steam damage the fluorescent tube? IOW, should I
remove
it (pain in the ***) before steam cleaning the hood?

TIA