Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Craftsman Replacement Tools - Used?

It's been a while since I traded in a Craftsman tool under the
lifetime warranty, so maybe I just don't remember this happening last
time.

I turned in a ratchet handle and 3 Phillips screwdrivers. The
replacement screwdrivers were new off the shelf but the ratchet handle
was a different story.

Hanging on the wall inside the cashier's area was quite a large number
of ratchet handles, open-end and box-end wrenches and a few other hand
tools, all with yellow stickers on the handle.

The cashier handed me a ratchet handle from behind the counter and
said "This is still covered by the lifetime warranty."

The ratchet handle looked "new" (clean?) but had a few dings in the
handle section. The yellow sticker said "Replacement Tool" oe
something like that.

I assume that the tools behind the counter are probably a combination
of scratch and dent items from their inventory along with some
customer returns that can't be sold as new.

Is this something new or has it always been this way? Just curious...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 13:13:49 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

[...]

I exchanged a 3/8" ratchet maybe ten years ago. IIRC they called the
replacement a "refurbished" tool.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

Never had the experience -- always had new stock replacement unless the
failure was something for which there was a repair kit available; like
the ratchet I took in a couple of months ago they did have the
replacement gear set for so did the swap-out while there. Don't know
what they would have said/done if the particular kit hadn't been in
stock. (Really knocked my socks off it was as this is just a quite
small catalog store w/ only a few appliances, lawnmowers, tools and such
in stock. That had any parts in stock was an eye-opener).

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 27, 2:13*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
It's been a while since I traded in a Craftsman tool under the
lifetime warranty, so maybe I just don't remember this happening last
time.

Same thing here. A bit disappointed that they have taken that route -
cost cutting, I guess.

The guy said they now have to replace with "refurbished" items before
replacing with new tools.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 27, 4:28*pm, wrote:
On Jul 27, 2:13*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:

It's been a while since I traded in a Craftsman tool under the
lifetime warranty, so maybe I just don't remember this happening last
time.

Same thing here. A bit disappointed that they have taken that route -
cost cutting, I guess.

The guy said they now have to replace with "refurbished" items before
replacing with new tools.

"A bit disappointed..."

I was too, for about a second, but then I found it real easy to
rationalize it away.

If my car breaks under warranty, I don't get a new one...I basically
get a "refurbished one". They fix what's wrong, maybe with new parts,
but it's still a "used car".

I guess the same goes for something like the ratchet handle. As long
as the "gears" work, I'm not going to be concerned about a scratch on
the handle section. Trust me, I didn't wrap it in a cotton towel and
lay it gently in my tool box when I got home. ;-)

Besides, as long as it has still has the lifetime warranty, I'll just
take it back again. Of course, if I'm going back every 2 weeks for the
same tool, I'll voice my objections until I get satisfaction.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 27, 4:37*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Jul 27, 4:28*pm, wrote:

[...]

I guess I can live with it too. Not my experience in the past
though. Might help to see which stores have how much inventory of
scratch and dents and go to the store least likely to have any.
Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

They tried that on me when my 3/8" ratchet handle went TU. I called them on
it and asked to speak to a manager, who gave me a new one.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote in message
[...]

I recently turned in a couple Craftsman hand-tools and had them attempt this
nonsense. It was hot, I was tired (and delayed in finishing the task-at-hand
because the rachet and socket had failed), and as the "kid" handed me the
replacements from under the cash register, I tiredly said, "Get a manager."
He pulled the right tools without so much as a second look.

My guess is that a significant number of hand tools are failing more
frequently and their flagship Craftsman brand is hemorrhaging.

The Ranger

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 28, 1:46*am, "The Ranger" wrote:
[...]

sears no longer owns craftsman tools sears is just a license.

i expect sears to disappear within a few years, they used to be
diverse into allstate insurance, coldwell banker real estate bankinbg
etc.

so when retail took a dump they still survived.

then they decided 100% retail, if the economic dump continues they
wouldnt heck they lost money over last holiday selling season.

kenore is being shopped around, pretty soon there will be no reason to
go to sears, their brands will be at home depot
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 28, 6:31*am, " wrote:
[...]

....by being bought by an already bankrupt K-Mart.

then they decided 100% retail, if the economic dump continues they
wouldnt heck they lost money over last holiday selling season.

kenore is being shopped around, pretty soon there will be no reason to
go to sears, their brands will be at home depot

There is no reason to go to Sears now. Hasn't been for more than
twenty years.

Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Jul 27, 4:28*pm, wrote:
On Jul 27, 2:13*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:

It's been a while since I traded in a Craftsman tool under the
lifetime warranty, so maybe I just don't remember this happening last
time.

Same thing here. A bit disappointed that they have taken that route -
cost cutting, I guess.

The guy said they now have to replace with "refurbished" items before
replacing with new tools.

AFAIK it has been that way for something like 10 years at least, at
the stores in my area.

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 28, 9:23*am, N8N wrote:
On Jul 27, 4:28*pm, wrote:

On Jul 27, 2:13*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:

It's been a while since I traded in a Craftsman tool under the
lifetime warranty, so maybe I just don't remember this happening last
time.

Same thing here. A bit disappointed that they have taken that route -
cost cutting, I guess.

The guy said they now have to replace with "refurbished" items before
replacing with new tools.

AFAIK it has been that way for something like 10 years at least, at
the stores in my area.

nate

A good friend worked at sears till recently he was a PMT, he handled
everything returned to the store.

said people brought in a rachet with the handle mostly hacksawed
off....

people abuse tools ............
Posted to alt.home.repair

keith posted for all of us...
sears no longer owns craftsman tools sears is just a license.

i expect sears to disappear within a few years, they used to be
diverse into allstate insurance, coldwell banker real estate bankinbg
etc.

so when retail took a dump they still survived.

...by being bought by an already bankrupt K-Mart.

then they decided 100% retail, if the economic dump continues they
wouldnt heck they lost money over last holiday selling season.

kenore is being shopped around, pretty soon there will be no reason to
go to sears, their brands will be at home depot

There is no reason to go to Sears now. Hasn't been for more than
twenty years.

ACE Hardware is now promoting Craftsman tools. They also have a very limited
selection of Snap-on flashlights, etc.

Snap has always just replaced parts. Ratcheting mechanisms, screwdriver blades.

--
Tekkie Don't bother to thank me, I do this as a public service.
Posted to alt.home.repair

=?iso-8859-15?Q?Tekkie=AE?= wrote in
m:

ACE Hardware is now promoting Craftsman tools.

I wonder how Ace's pricing is compared to Sears?

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 2 Aug 2010 22:08:25 -0400, Tekkie® wrote:

keith posted for all of us...
sears no longer owns craftsman tools sears is just a license.

i expect sears to disappear within a few years, they used to be
diverse into allstate insurance, coldwell banker real estate bankinbg
etc.

so when retail took a dump they still survived.

...by being bought by an already bankrupt K-Mart.

then they decided 100% retail, if the economic dump continues they
wouldnt heck they lost money over last holiday selling season.

kenore is being shopped around, pretty soon there will be no reason to
go to sears, their brands will be at home depot

There is no reason to go to Sears now. Hasn't been for more than
twenty years.

ACE Hardware is now promoting Craftsman tools.

Craftsman tools are nothing special anymore, if they ever were.

They also have a very limited selection of Snap-on flashlights, etc.

Don't know how Snap-On has faired. Many believe they've lost it too.

Snap has always just replaced parts. Ratcheting mechanisms, screwdriver blades.

You get back your wrench, not someone else's rebuilt.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim Yanik posted for all of us...

=?iso-8859-15?Q?Tekkie=AE?= wrote in
m:

ACE Hardware is now promoting Craftsman tools.

I wonder how Ace's pricing is compared to Sears?

I don't go to Sears because they closed their hardware store near me and I'm
not going out of my way for them. I have a long standing "disagreement"

--
Tekkie Don't bother to thank me, I do this as a public service.
Posted to alt.home.repair

=?iso-8859-15?Q?Tekkie=AE?= wrote in
m:

Jim Yanik posted for all of us...

=?iso-8859-15?Q?Tekkie=AE?= wrote in
m:

ACE Hardware is now promoting Craftsman tools.

I wonder how Ace's pricing is compared to Sears?

I don't go to Sears because they closed their hardware store near me
and I'm not going out of my way for them. I have a long standing
"disagreement"

"thanks" for NOT answering the question.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

I quit shopping at sears because of their in home service policy.

To get a furnace with air serviced they charge nearly double travel

All the tech did was swap tool kits at his truck.....

Any company gouging like that needs to lose customers!!!

Craftsman Tools at Ace Hardware -MIKE- Woodworking 32 June 14th 10 10:58 PM
Craftsman Hand Tools James Stewart Woodworking 24 December 18th 05 10:30 PM
Craftsman power tools Fred Woodworking 3 October 8th 05 05:06 AM
Craftsman tools are just fine, Hoyt Weathers Woodworking 44 April 1st 05 05:14 PM
Craftsman Turning Tools Alan Van Art Woodturning 9 September 24th 04 12:06 AM