Posted to alt.home.repair

Default rotted porch

I have a New Orleans style porch which has rotten wood which I am
removing.
There are three sections. The ground level porch is all right and
made from brick. The second level (the New Orleans porch) is made
from wood. The third level consists of a wood overhang over the
porch.
The porch is made from wood, supported by several concrete pillars,
and has metal pillars on the second floor. The real problem is that
the wood is completely gone and the top level can drop about a foot.
I put bricks between the concrete and metal pilars in the spacing
where the wood was.
The porch is 15 feet off the ground and about 10 x 40 feet. It
covered with plywood and covered with a sheet of steel.
How do I support the top half including the roof while I repair the
middle section? Are there any diagrams or pictures which illustrate
this? Can I just put up some supporting joists, or do I need to get
something stronger?
I suppose that this steel covering plates were bought in sections and
welded together. Is this how it is done?
Does anyone know of websites or repair videos on how to best do this?
I am getting some estimates from contractors, but I really am short on
money, as I have been out of work for a long time. I'd like to do
this myself.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Deodiaus wrote:
[...]

Need pictures...

Is the 15-ft the floor of the porch above ground or the roof height? If
the porch floor is that high it could be a trick getting adequate
support for the outer corners owing to the height would need a pretty
stout column given the length. Hence, pictures, pictures, ...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 23, 12:08*pm, Deodiaus wrote:
[...]

That was going to be my question.

Take some pictures, post them on a hosting site, and post the link
back here.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Deodiaus" wrote in message
[...]

I have to agree with the pictures, pictures, pictures request.

I will also caution you not to rely solely on any advice you receive here.
Most of us try really hard to give sound advice but a picture and actually
seeing it are two very different things.

Considering what we say in conjunction with your contractor bids will give
you a better feel for the situation.

--
Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 23, 4:10*pm, "Colbyt" wrote:
"Deodiaus" wrote in message

[...]

Colby now says this...after the little 'incident' with his "what could
it hurt to cut off that last stud?" advice!

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RicodJour" wrote in message
On Jul 23, 4:10 pm, "Colbyt" wrote:
"Deodiaus" wrote in message

[...]

Rico you obviously have me confused with someone else. The only little stud
I ever cut off was that gay boy trying to get into my panties.

what screws for rotted step Tom[_33_] Home Repair 2 June 15th 10 12:40 AM
crawlspace rotted cbtfarms Home Repair 8 May 3rd 09 07:30 AM
rotted sill...how to replace? [email protected] Home Repair 4 April 13th 07 02:14 AM
Help-- Rim joist rotted! Tim Fischer Home Repair 18 June 24th 05 10:35 PM
Porch floor rotted-need a better idea Francis Rowe Home Repair 8 April 13th 05 11:55 AM