Posted to alt.home.repair
Deodiaus Deodiaus is offline

Default rotted porch

I have a New Orleans style porch which has rotten wood which I am
removing.
There are three sections. The ground level porch is all right and
made from brick. The second level (the New Orleans porch) is made
from wood. The third level consists of a wood overhang over the
porch.
The porch is made from wood, supported by several concrete pillars,
and has metal pillars on the second floor. The real problem is that
the wood is completely gone and the top level can drop about a foot.
I put bricks between the concrete and metal pilars in the spacing
where the wood was.
The porch is 15 feet off the ground and about 10 x 40 feet. It
covered with plywood and covered with a sheet of steel.
How do I support the top half including the roof while I repair the
middle section? Are there any diagrams or pictures which illustrate
this? Can I just put up some supporting joists, or do I need to get
something stronger?
I suppose that this steel covering plates were bought in sections and
welded together. Is this how it is done?
Does anyone know of websites or repair videos on how to best do this?
I am getting some estimates from contractors, but I really am short on
money, as I have been out of work for a long time. I'd like to do
this myself.