Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour RicodJour is offline

Default rotted porch

On Jul 23, 4:10*pm, "Colbyt" wrote:
"Deodiaus" wrote in message

I have a New Orleans style porch which has rotten wood which I am
removing.
There are three sections. *The ground level porch is all right and
made from brick. *The second level (the New Orleans porch) is made
from wood. *The third level consists of a wood overhang over the
porch.
The porch is made from wood, supported by several concrete pillars,
and has metal pillars on the second floor. *The real problem is that
the wood is completely gone and the top level can drop about a foot.
I put bricks between the concrete and metal pilars in the spacing
where the wood was.
The porch is 15 feet off the ground and about 10 x 40 feet. *It
covered with plywood and covered with a sheet of steel.
How do I support the top half including the roof while I repair the
middle section? *Are there any diagrams or pictures which illustrate
this? *Can I just put up some supporting joists, or do I need to get
something stronger?
I suppose that this steel covering plates were bought in sections and
welded together. *Is this how it is done?
Does anyone know of websites or repair videos on how to best do this?
I am getting some estimates from contractors, but I really am short on
money, as I have been out of work for a long time. *I'd like to do
this myself.

I have to agree with the pictures, pictures, pictures request.

I will also caution you not to rely solely on any advice you receive here..
Most of us try really hard to give sound advice but a picture and actually
seeing it are two very different things.

Considering what we say in conjunction with your contractor bids will give
you a better feel for the situation.

Colby now says this...after the little 'incident' with his "what could
it hurt to cut off that last stud?" advice!