Posted to alt.home.repair

Default rotted sill...how to replace?

I've got a problem that may be unique,

A two foot section of house sill is decayed and is now gone completely
- located under the front concrete steps. Access from the basement is
difficult between the rafters but can clearly see the hole with the
insulation removed in this area.

I may have access thru a hole in the sidewall of the concrete steps.
Am not sure how big I can make the hole in the sidewall (there are 3
steps).

Solution......I don't see how I can scarf in a replacement piece of
wood due to poor access. Maybe fill with concrete somehow?

Suggestions?.........thanks in advance.

DHill

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
I've got a problem that may be unique,

A two foot section of house sill is decayed and is now gone completely
- located under the front concrete steps. Access from the basement is
difficult between the rafters but can clearly see the hole with the
insulation removed in this area.

I may have access thru a hole in the sidewall of the concrete steps.
Am not sure how big I can make the hole in the sidewall (there are 3
steps).

Solution......I don't see how I can scarf in a replacement piece of
wood due to poor access. Maybe fill with concrete somehow?

Suggestions?.........thanks in advance.

jack it up & put a new one under it?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 12, 2:47�pm, "longshot" wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com...

I've got a problem that may be unique,

A two foot section of house sill is decayed and is now gone completely
- located under the front concrete steps. *Access from the basement is
difficult between the rafters but can clearly see the hole with the
insulation removed in this area.

I may have access thru a hole in the sidewall of the concrete steps.
Am not sure how big I can make the hole in the sidewall (there are 3
steps).

Solution......I don't see how I can scarf in a replacement piece of
wood due to poor access. Maybe fill with concrete somehow?

Suggestions?.........thanks in advance.

jack it up & put a new one under it?

first fix the grade, dirt laying against wood even PT wood over time
is a bad idea, espically in a structura situation.

first remove steps, regrade area, replace sill, then replace steps

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 12, 2:47 pm, "longshot" wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com...

I've got a problem that may be unique,

A two foot section of house sill is decayed and is now gone completely
- located under the front concrete steps. Access from the basement is
difficult between the rafters but can clearly see the hole with the
insulation removed in this area.

I may have access thru a hole in the sidewall of the concrete steps.
Am not sure how big I can make the hole in the sidewall (there are 3
steps).

Solution......I don't see how I can scarf in a replacement piece of
wood due to poor access. Maybe fill with concrete somehow?

Suggestions?.........thanks in advance.

jack it up & put a new one under it?

Greetings,

If it isn't causing a problem putting some concrete there and waiting
until things get worse (which might never happen or you might sell the
house) isn't such a bad idea.

Hope this helps,
William

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
I've got a problem that may be unique,

A two foot section of house sill is decayed and is now gone completely
- located under the front concrete steps. Access from the basement is
difficult between the rafters but can clearly see the hole with the
insulation removed in this area.

I may have access thru a hole in the sidewall of the concrete steps.
Am not sure how big I can make the hole in the sidewall (there are 3
steps).

Solution......I don't see how I can scarf in a replacement piece of
wood due to poor access. Maybe fill with concrete somehow?

Suggestions?.........thanks in advance.

DHill

I'd replace the sill from the basement. I'd place a length of 4x4 (4 foot,
6 foot long, preferably longer that the area of sill you need to replace)
along the floor joists, lift *slightly* with floor jacks at each end of the
4x4. Use a sawzall to cut the nails and cut out the rotted section of wood.
Replace with treated 2x6 material and sill gasket, seal it good with caulk
at the ends. You also might want to investigate as to root cause of the
rotted
sill. (termites, water damage, etc.)