Posted to alt.home.repair
J.A. Michel J.A. Michel is offline

Default rotted sill...how to replace?

wrote in message
oups.com...
I've got a problem that may be unique,

A two foot section of house sill is decayed and is now gone completely
- located under the front concrete steps. Access from the basement is
difficult between the rafters but can clearly see the hole with the
insulation removed in this area.

I may have access thru a hole in the sidewall of the concrete steps.
Am not sure how big I can make the hole in the sidewall (there are 3
steps).

Solution......I don't see how I can scarf in a replacement piece of
wood due to poor access. Maybe fill with concrete somehow?

Suggestions?.........thanks in advance.

DHill

I'd replace the sill from the basement. I'd place a length of 4x4 (4 foot,
6 foot long, preferably longer that the area of sill you need to replace)
along the floor joists, lift *slightly* with floor jacks at each end of the
4x4. Use a sawzall to cut the nails and cut out the rotted section of wood.
Replace with treated 2x6 material and sill gasket, seal it good with caulk
at the ends. You also might want to investigate as to root cause of the
rotted
sill. (termites, water damage, etc.)