Posted to alt.home.repair
cln cln is offline

Default Air Conditioner (window)

So my Air Conditioner descided to hang itself by the cord when I
opened the window.
I checked with an ohm reader to see if the cord was still good. All
signs positive.

I pluged it in, and was able to turn on the fan and switched from Fan
to Cool to Energy Efficiency (which is also cool) and
Dehumidiferier... no objections by the machine...

ALL except that the cooling doesn't cool~! Now before I let the a/c
unit jump all was good so I assume that the coolant didn't leak or
that the screen or filter aren't dirty.

When I do select the Cool button, I do hear the compressor (?) wanting
to kick in, but it gives up within seconds.

Any advice? Did I just reconnect the cable wrong? (black and green are
deffinatly on right prongs) white, well not as certain but, again, I
assume that no smoke means I didn't connect it wrong on the capsule
like prongs... I don't understand why there are so many 'spare' prongs
on this capsule or transformer.

This is a newer unit so age isn't a factor. Haier esa3069

colin
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 7, 8:31*am, cln wrote:
[...]

Might be that a lot of oil got up into the compressor. Was it running
when you dropped it out the window?
Posted to alt.home.repair
cln cln is offline

Might be that a lot of oil got up into the compressor. *Was it running
when you dropped it out the window?- Hide quoted text -

No it wasn't running. But this could be. How long would it need to sit
for the oil to settle again? or does it have to be purged?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"cln" wrote in message
[...]

I just installed a new window AC and directions said not to turn it on for
24 hours in case in shipping it was turned upside down and oil got into
wrong place. I followed instructions and it works OK. WW

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 7, 7:31*am, cln wrote:
[...]

Green is safety ground, should go to the case of the air conditioner,
black is the "hot" lead. You didn't say where the cable came loose,
just that you reconnected it. Maybe you got something wrong. More
information needed about how the power cable came loose.
Posted to alt.home.repair

cln wrote:
Might be that a lot of oil got up into the compressor. Was it running
when you dropped it out the window?- Hide quoted text -

No it wasn't running. But this could be.
How long would it need to sit for the oil to settle again? or does it
have to be purged?

Let it sit a little longer than it was in the wrong position.
Posted to alt.home.repair
cln cln is offline

Green is safety ground, should go to the case of the air conditioner,
black is the "hot" lead. *You didn't say where the cable came loose,
just that you reconnected it. *Maybe you got something wrong. *More

Sorry, The AC was daggling by the the wire and had only tore the wire
casing. The green, black, white looked good so I tested it with an ohm
meter to see if it was broken. For this I had to detach the wire from
the AC unit. When I was putting it back together, I knew where the
ground went (yes casing) and black. But the White wire I'm not
certain of. The capacitor has more than one prong available... I can't
see it clearly either (too cramped), I think the best thing at this
point is to check with the supplier for a wiring diagram and open up
the machine more so I can see the inside of the controllers better.

WW
I will also let it sit for a while before I turn it on. I do recall
mine saying the same thing. I did have it on its side when I was
reconnecting the wires and it was defiantly not 24h before I put it
back up.

Called a local repair guy, he says the hardware store has some on sale
this week! (basically and literaly)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 7, 12:08*pm, cln wrote:
[...]

Chances are it will be difficult to find a wiring diagram since these
things are mostly made overseas and considered disposable. If the fan
came on then it sounds like you got the wires back on correctly. I'm
betting on the oil.

The capacitors are general purpose so have lots of lugs to accomidate
various connections.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 7, 11:08*am, cln wrote:
[...]

I don't know why you had to disconnect the wires to check for
continuity. You go from the AC plug to where the wire terminates in
the AC unit and check for continuity.

Posted to alt.home.repair
cln cln is offline

I don't know why you had to disconnect the wires to check for
continuity. *You go from the AC plug to where the wire terminates in
the AC unit and check for continuity.- Hide quoted text -

I didn't have to, at first I took it off to take it to the repair man
but after some consideration and thinking these guys are going to
charge me a min of 50$ just to look at it...I though I would look at
it myself.

Update..
I have let the oil set overnight and the same is happening... fan
runs, compressor engages but stops after a few seconds of trying so
the unit is just pushing air, nothing cool.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 8, 12:54*pm, cln wrote:
I don't know why you had to disconnect the wires to check for
continuity. *You go from the AC plug to where the wire terminates in
the AC unit and check for continuity.- Hide quoted text -

I didn't have to, at first I took it off to take it to the repair man
but after some consideration and thinking these guys are going to
charge me a min of 50$ just to look at it...I though I would look at
it myself.

Update..
I have let the oil set overnight and the same is happening... fan
runs, compressor engages but stops after a few seconds of trying so
the unit is just pushing air, nothing cool.

I suppose it's possible that you hooked a wire up incorrectly.
Sometimes appliances have a wiring diagram inside somewhere.
Sometimes in an envelope glued inside the case.

The compressor has a safety overload switch inside it. It sounds like
that is what is tripping.

Installing a Window Air Conditioner into a Wide Window vxla Home Repair 6 June 12th 08 03:24 AM
Window Air conditioner not working. George Becker Home Repair 7 June 8th 07 05:01 PM
Window Air Conditioner Home Repair 2 June 20th 06 02:35 AM
Need Help Install Window Air Conditioner in Storm Window Frame Mike Home Repair 4 June 20th 06 01:10 AM
Milgard window and window air conditioner Harry Avant Home Repair 1 May 14th 06 06:56 PM