Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Installing a Window Air Conditioner into a Wide Window

What's the best way to install a window air unit into a 42" window in
a vintage apartment? Should I get some plywood pieces cut to fill the
gap between the unit and the window pane, or is there some other way
that is better?

Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

vxla wrote in news:a60b092f-5750-4acb-929e-d8d15873a3e4
@d1g2000hsg.googlegroups.com:

What's the best way to install a window air unit into a 42" window in
a vintage apartment? Should I get some plywood pieces cut to fill the
gap between the unit and the window pane, or is there some other way
that is better?

Thanks.

Probably need more info for folks to reply.

If it falls, where will it go, aka, what will it hit? Wood frame, metal
frame? If it's of any size and the window is in in poor shape could it pull
the window out? Maybe ask the super for CYA?
Posted to alt.home.repair

vxla wrote in
@d1g2000hsg.googlegroups.com:

What's the best way to install a window air unit into a 42" window in
a vintage apartment? Should I get some plywood pieces cut to fill the
gap between the unit and the window pane, or is there some other way
that is better?

Is that 42" wide? The slide outs on the AC are not big enough? I'd use
1/2" plywood as filler.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 6 Jun 2008 14:52:07 -0700 (PDT), vxla
wrote:

What's the best way to install a window air unit into a 42" window in
a vintage apartment? Should I get some plywood pieces cut to fill the
gap between the unit and the window pane, or is there some other way
that is better?

Thanks.

I used 1" foil covered foam board over a couple 1X8 boards on each
end. Don't forget to seal the top of the window that is open.

Posted to alt.home.repair

vxla wrote:
What's the best way to install a window air unit into a 42" window in
a vintage apartment? Should I get some plywood pieces cut to fill the
gap between the unit and the window pane, or is there some other way
that is better?

Thanks.

I'd recommend a 1/2 - 3/4" plywood sheet with a hole cut out for the AC
unit - not boards on either side, but one large board with a hole for the
machine. Bolt the AC unit to the board then screw the board to the window
frame.

Window AC units are relatively heavy and they vibrate. Put in braces and
brace the braces. Any flimsiness will cause failure - a very loud and
exciting failure. While you're asleep. That can't easily be fixed, or even
comprehended, while in your nightshirt.

I commend you for the project. We did something similar and dropped the
electric bill from $200/month (back when $200/month was a lot of money) to
the current $60/month.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I've seen people use plywood, drywall, cardboard, stained glass, and duct tape.

Have you considered a permanent location in the wall, below or to the side of
the window? Window AC units make a fabulous entry point for burglars.

On Fri, 6 Jun 2008 14:52:07 -0700 (PDT), vxla wrote:

What's the best way to install a window air unit into a 42" window in
a vintage apartment? Should I get some plywood pieces cut to fill the
gap between the unit and the window pane, or is there some other way
that is better?

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Vlad wrote in
:

wrote:

What's the best way to install a window air unit into a 42" window in
a vintage apartment? Should I get some plywood pieces cut to fill the
gap between the unit and the window pane, or is there some other way
that is better?

Thanks.

...and duct tape.

Real men of genius.