Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Window Air conditioner not working.

I have a 9100 btu window ac which does not cool. Air from the duct is room
temp. I checked amps and watts using a Kill-a-watt meter. Specs say 7.3 amps
and 880 watts. I measure 3.3 amps and 272 watts. I used the same meter on a
5600 btu ac that we have in another room. Its specs are 4.9 amps and 510
watts. I measure 4.4 amps and 495 watts. This implies the meter is ok.
Does this low power draw in the 9100 btu unit indicate loss of freon (is the
compressor maybe running but not compressing anything?)

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Jun 7, 5:45 pm, "George Becker" wrote:
I have a 9100 btu window ac which does not cool. Air from the duct is room
temp. I checked amps and watts using a Kill-a-watt meter. Specs say 7.3 amps
and 880 watts. I measure 3.3 amps and 272 watts. I used the same meter on a
5600 btu ac that we have in another room. Its specs are 4.9 amps and 510
watts. I measure 4.4 amps and 495 watts. This implies the meter is ok.
Does this low power draw in the 9100 btu unit indicate loss of freon (is the
compressor maybe running but not compressing anything?)

I'd bet on your reading being the blower fan draw. The missing amps
likely are the compressor motor. Dig around in the compressor control
circuitry for a possible component problem. Good luck.

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair
Sev Sev is offline

On Jun 7, 9:31?pm, Joe wrote:
On Jun 7, 5:45 pm, "George Becker" wrote:

I have a 9100 btu window ac which does not cool. Air from the duct is room
temp. I checked amps and watts using a Kill-a-watt meter. Specs say 7.3 amps
and 880 watts. I measure 3.3 amps and 272 watts. I used the same meter on a
5600 btu ac that we have in another room. Its specs are 4.9 amps and 510
watts. I measure 4.4 amps and 495 watts. This implies the meter is ok.
Does this low power draw in the 9100 btu unit indicate loss of freon (is the
compressor maybe running but not compressing anything?)

I'd bet on your reading being the blower fan draw. The missing amps
likely are the compressor motor. Dig around in the compressor control
circuitry for a possible component problem. Good luck.

Joe

Could be start capacitor- I have an older one which did this last
year, still sitting in my garage waiting for me to decide to fix or
chuck...

Posted to alt.home.repair

If you can hear the compressor running, then your readings
probably do indicate low on freon. Fan alone is probably 100
watts or so.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"George Becker" wrote in message
: I have a 9100 btu window ac which does not cool. Air from the
duct is room
: temp. I checked amps and watts using a Kill-a-watt meter. Specs
say 7.3 amps
: and 880 watts. I measure 3.3 amps and 272 watts. I used the
same meter on a
: 5600 btu ac that we have in another room. Its specs are 4.9
amps and 510
: watts. I measure 4.4 amps and 495 watts. This implies the meter
is ok.
: Does this low power draw in the 9100 btu unit indicate loss of
freon (is the
: compressor maybe running but not compressing anything?)
:
:

Posted to alt.home.repair

"George Becker" wrote in message
I have a 9100 btu window ac which does not cool. Air from the duct is room
temp. I checked amps and watts using a Kill-a-watt meter. Specs say 7.3
amps and 880 watts. I measure 3.3 amps and 272 watts. I used the same meter
on a 5600 btu ac that we have in another room. Its specs are 4.9 amps and
510 watts. I measure 4.4 amps and 495 watts. This implies the meter is ok.
Does this low power draw in the 9100 btu unit indicate loss of freon (is
the compressor maybe running but not compressing anything?)

Sounds like the compressor is not running. You should be able to hear it
kick in when you turn the control from "fan" to "cool".

It could be a variety of things. If the Freon leaked out, it probably has a
safety to prevent it from starting. Could be the thermostat, the switch,
could be a capacitor. If the thermostat is sticking, simply turning the
know a couple of times may fix it. Anything else requires opening the unit
and checking stuff with a meter.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 7, 10:43 pm, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
[...]

buffalo ny: if replacing it, remember the unit was too small, it took
too long to cool down the hot room upon arrival. upgrade to a bigger
unit most with remote control and digital temperature, subject to
window opening sizes, while air conditioners are still readily
available in spring.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I failed to mention initially that I had also checked electric draw with the
fan only. It was .81 amp and 90 watt so I think the compressor is running.
We have decided since the unit is 8 years old to buy another one and I will
store this one in my shop to play with later. You can pick up a 10000 btu
Sunbeam at Circuit City for $180 or so but I may look for a more efficient
and probably higher quality one.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Sure sounds like low freon.

I've never seen a low pressure cut out for a window AC.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"George Becker" wrote in message
: I failed to mention initially that I had also checked electric
draw with the
: fan only. It was .81 amp and 90 watt so I think the compressor
is running.
: We have decided since the unit is 8 years old to buy another
one and I will
: store this one in my shop to play with later. You can pick up a
10000 btu
: Sunbeam at Circuit City for $180 or so but I may look for a
more efficient
: and probably higher quality one.
:
:

Window Air Conditioner Angle? Saml Home Repair 9 May 13th 07 01:20 AM
Window Air Conditioner Home Repair 2 June 20th 06 02:35 AM
Need Help Install Window Air Conditioner in Storm Window Frame Mike Home Repair 4 June 20th 06 01:10 AM
Milgard window and window air conditioner Harry Avant Home Repair 1 May 14th 06 06:56 PM
Whirlpool Window Air Conditioner NSN Home Repair 2 July 26th 05 02:19 PM