Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to protect (low voltage?) wire on TOP of concrete driveway in slot

There's a wire crossing my concrete driveway in the slot which I tripped on
and kicked up and need to put back.

It just about fits in the groove, almost filling the groove. I think it's
for the low-voltage lights but I'm not sure what it's for.

What "material" would I use to "caulk" the wire back into the groove so
that it's protected from people tripping on it like I did?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 5, 7:31*pm, Elmo dcdraftwo...@Use-Author-Supplied-
Address.invalid wrote:
There's a wire crossing my concrete driveway in the slot which I tripped on
and kicked up and need to put back.

It just about fits in the groove, almost filling the groove. I think it's
for the low-voltage lights but I'm not sure what it's for.

What "material" would I use to "caulk" the wire back into the groove so
that it's protected from people tripping on it like I did?

Gray or black polyurethane caulk would be my first choice, but there
are others.
A home center will have a selection.
http://www.google.com/products?hl=en...ncrete%20caulk

Posted to alt.home.repair

Elmo wrote:

There's a wire crossing my concrete driveway in the slot which I tripped on
and kicked up and need to put back.

It just about fits in the groove, almost filling the groove. I think it's
for the low-voltage lights but I'm not sure what it's for.

What "material" would I use to "caulk" the wire back into the groove so
that it's protected from people tripping on it like I did?

There is a grey self leveling caulk available that is intended for
filling expansion joints in concrete that should work fine. You should
be able to find in in the concrete area at most any building supply
place.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Jul 5, 6:31*pm, Elmo dcdraftwo...@Use-Author-Supplied-
Address.invalid wrote:
There's a wire crossing my concrete driveway in the slot which I tripped on
and kicked up and need to put back.

It just about fits in the groove, almost filling the groove. I think it's
for the low-voltage lights but I'm not sure what it's for.

First pull the entire wire out of the groove. Set it aside. Borrow or
rent a common circular saw with a diamond blade. Use the saw to deepen
and/or widen the groove as needed. Clean out the groove. Fill it half
way with a caulk recommended for concrete. Insert wire, press firmly
down and top off groove with sealant. Now it's permanent. Return the
saw to the owner. Wasn't that easy?

snip

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

Address.invalid wrote:
There's a wire crossing my concrete driveway in the slot which I tripped on
and kicked up and need to put back.

It just about fits in the groove, almost filling the groove. I think it's
for the low-voltage lights but I'm not sure what it's for.

First pull the entire wire out of the groove. Set it aside. Borrow or
rent a common circular saw with a diamond blade. Use the saw to deepen
and/or widen the groove as needed. Clean out the groove. Fill it half
way with a caulk recommended for concrete. Insert wire, press firmly
down and top off groove with sealant. Now it's permanent. Return the
saw to the owner. Wasn't that easy?

snip

Joe

what's the wire for? just curious...

Mark

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 6 Jul 2010 19:06:17 -0700 (PDT), Mark wrote:

what's the wire for? just curious...

I do not know. Maybe landscape lighting? The house was a foreclosure so
there are many enigmas, this wire just being one of them.

I loved the idea of digging the groove deeper, and then embedding the wire
half in the caulk and having the rest of the caulk above the wire.

Now it's off to Home Depot for the right caulk and gun.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 6 Jul 2010 19:03:23 -0700 (PDT), Joe wrote:

Use the saw to deepen and/or widen the groove as needed.
Clean out the groove. Fill it half way with a concrete caulk.
Insert wire, press firmly and top off groove with sealant.

This is the best idea ever!

It makes the most sense.

Thanks!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/6/2010 7:03 PM Joe spake thus:

Address.invalid wrote:

There's a wire crossing my concrete driveway in the slot which I tripped on
and kicked up and need to put back.

It just about fits in the groove, almost filling the groove. I think it's
for the low-voltage lights but I'm not sure what it's for.

First pull the entire wire out of the groove. Set it aside. Borrow or
rent a common circular saw with a diamond blade. Use the saw to deepen
and/or widen the groove as needed. Clean out the groove. Fill it half
way with a caulk recommended for concrete. Insert wire, press firmly
down and top off groove with sealant. Now it's permanent. Return the
saw to the owner. Wasn't that easy?

Could do that, but I probably wouldn't if it isn't necessary, as it
makes it more likely the slab could crack under the groove (unless you
*want* an expansion joint there or something).

Posted to alt.home.repair

Elmo wrote in
:

On Tue, 6 Jul 2010 19:03:23 -0700 (PDT), Joe wrote:

Use the saw to deepen and/or widen the groove as needed.
Clean out the groove. Fill it half way with a concrete caulk.
Insert wire, press firmly and top off groove with sealant.

This is the best idea ever!

It makes the most sense.

Thanks!

You won't find the best sealants at Home Depot type stores. Go to a
construction supplier of sealants. Get Bostick 1100 FS - the FS is for Fast
Set but it still takes a few days to set completely. This stuff sticks like
crazy and stays flexible so it will stretch if the concrete cracks and
moves a bit. The one I used was grey in color but it may also come in
black, not sure any more.

Like any other sealant or glue job it is absolutely necessary to clean all
surfaces or even the best sealants won't stick.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 07 Jul 2010 14:32:16 GMT, Reno wrote:

Like any other sealant or glue job it is absolutely necessary to clean all
surfaces or even the best sealants won't stick.

I'm going to clean the crack with a pressure washer.

That should clean it well enough, don't you think?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/7/2010 3:40 PM Elmo spake thus:

On Wed, 07 Jul 2010 14:32:16 GMT, Reno wrote:

Like any other sealant or glue job it is absolutely necessary to clean all
surfaces or even the best sealants won't stick.

I'm going to clean the crack with a pressure washer.

That should clean it well enough, don't you think?

Yes, so long as you let it dry and then sweep out any debris left in it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Elmo wrote in
:

On Wed, 07 Jul 2010 14:32:16 GMT, Reno wrote:

Like any other sealant or glue job it is absolutely necessary to
clean all surfaces or even the best sealants won't stick.

I'm going to clean the crack with a pressure washer.

That should clean it well enough, don't you think?

Yes, that will clean it well. It needs to be dry, too, so either wait a
while or use compressed air or a heat gun to dry it out. Some compressors
add a lot of oil to the air which would prevent the sealant from sticking
so check yours by blowing air onto a clean towel.